HELP Shedding or Breakage? ***PICS***

DaDragonPrincess

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if these pictures I took of a few strains of my hair is breakage or shedding? I would appreciate the help, thanks.

:nono::ohwell::nono:

dscn0342k.jpg

dscn0340.jpg

I have been DC with Megatek for a hour almost every week,followed by a moisturizing conditioner for at least two hours or more.

I add moisture and seal with oils everyday, and all I have been doing is roller setting my hair,protective styles, or clip in extensions, I have not used direct heat since fall of 2008.

P.S. I have been taking garlic tablets, but i'm currently out of them, I mix in vitamin e oil,jojoba oil,and pure virgin olive oil with my megatek.

From what I've learned from other ladies is that shed hairs have white bulbs on the end. I've been seeing short strands of hair all over the place this week with no white bulbs and I file them under breakage.

Yes as you see some strains are long the other ones are short :nono:

You have a mix of shed and broken hairs. That's natural. I have the same problem from time to time, but so far it hasn't set me back.

Just keep an eye on it.

Watch and see if the little broken hairs increase in the next week or so. If they do, then take action.

Hey girlie,

You may have a combination of both. I'm dealing with this issue now. Your regimen sound great. How is your moisture/ protein balance???

I may have to cut out MT for a minute to see what is really going on.

Hey girlie,

You may have a combination of both. I'm dealing with this issue now. Your regimen sound great. How is your moisture/ protein balance???

:nono: Me too, well I been doing good on my moisturizing, but I don't know if i'm megateking too much or maybe need to use it less, but I always follow with a moisture conditioner, plus far as my last protein treatment I used the Aphogee 2 step protein treatment about two or three weeks ago. :nono: I also have use the Aphogee keratine 2 minute reconstructer a week ago.

Hey girlie,

Same here. I am giving up on MT for the next 3 months to see if my excessive breakage stops. If it does, i will be completely giving it up.

i'm no hair expert but it looks like a lil' of both. don't fret! there is noway to avoid a few broken strands as long as you'e manipulating your hair. Maybe you should use megatek every 2 wks instead of weekly.

I have some breakage/shedding now too. I am sure its normal as it is not a regular thing. I do not use megatek and I moisturize daily. I just added garlic pills to my regimen so I hope that takes care of it. I am natural.

Yeah that is a little of both - I use MT as a DC as well, however when I use as dc I don't leave it no more than 5-15 minutes (remember this stuff is able to cure cracks in a horse's foot) When I leave on longer than that - I mix it with a dc (i.e. DC on dry hair) - I do moisturize for a very long time when I do use (sometimes overnight)

Is that "all" the hair that came out - if so- that's normal

Megatek set me back and i gave caused me two cut two inches because of so much breakage. I was moisturizing constantly and using ater ego garlic as a conditioner. i since cut it out an i have no breakage. Sorry but MT had to go.

Thank you ladies, I see i'm not the only one going through this, and its nice to get support from you ladies.

I don't know about this megatek :nono:, it has given me growth, but this shedding/breakage kind of freaked me out.

I'm gone to take you ladies advice an maybe take a break from it to see what happens, or use it every two weeks, and see if the megatek is the problem. Or maybe stop using it. I will update you ladies in this post on it.

:yep:

My hair always does this but it doesn't affect my length too much. I tell ppl all the time I get more LONG breakage than I ever do shedding :lol: I swear my hair hardly ever sheds! So IDK but don't worry about it, just watch it and do something when it starts to get abnormal for you. That's what I do anyway.

Honestly, I dont think you should worry too much unless it becomes excessive. It doesnt look like a lot of breakage/shedding at all.

Uh...If that's all you saw...then I don't think you have much to worry about. Now if you can make a wig with all the broken hairs that you can find...PANIC! That looks about average to me.

Like another poster said, as long as you are manipulating your hair, some broken pieces are going to come off...there is really no getting around that.

Thanks OP for this thread! Now that I REALLY study the hair that comes out while combing, I've noticed that, sometimes, I do get some short hairs but some long as well.

Apart from all that, my hair's doing really good, I don't use any growth aids though but I would suggest you take a break from them and see how it goes...
+

If that worries you.. then don't check out my denmen on a wash day :nono:.. postpartum shedding is a *****!

Yes it is:ohwell:. With my first baby, I was scared to comb and brush my hair. With my second baby, it was not bad at all.

Thank you ladies, yeah I'm happy I posted the pictures to show how it look for yall.

But I will co wash today, I will let you all know if any shedding/breakage happen today, but like you ladies said "no need to worry", just gone to keep an eye on it.

I did notice a difference since I trim my ends, the shedding/breakage was less then it was before.

MT definitely has a substantial amount of protein, so you have to be careful. Also I don't use MT as a treatment. I use it for my scalp ONLY and with added oils.

You have a mix of shed and broken hairs. That's natural. I have the same problem from time to time, but so far it hasn't set me back.

Just keep an eye on it.

Watch and see if the little broken hairs increase in the next week or so. If they do, then take action.

I agree, that's not a horrible amount of hair to lose and it's somewhat normal if you're relaxed. You can always add a protein treatment. I tried a homemade conditioner with a fresh avocado and honey and it had the same effect as a protein conditioner: no broken strands, just long shed pieces.

:nono: Me too, well I been doing good on my moisturizing, but I don't know if i'm megateking too much or maybe need to use it less, but I always follow with a moisture conditioner, plus far as my last protein treatment I used the Aphogee 2 step protein treatment about two or three weeks ago. :nono: I also have use the Aphogee keratine 2 minute reconstructer a week ago.

I'm not an expert DaDragonPrincess, but if MT has a lot of protein in it, i
would say it's protein overload. I use the two step when i'm stretching and i discover if i mix even a teaspoon of the two-minute Aphogee with my moisturizing conditioner even a couple of weeks after the two step aphogee i notice my hair starts to misbehave. I'm guessing the combo of MT, two step and two minute is overkill!!!!!

Hey ladies, I have less shedding now, just washed my hair saturday, and less shedding.

I didnt use megatek this week, i'm gone to give my protien a break.

I used my Motions CPR with my Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo to DC.

I haven't used Motions CPR in a while, it seems to help me.

Thanks again ladies.

that looks very normal and really a little abnormal on the positive side. i would say most have more than that on a daily basis.

Back