Help... She wants a perm and has not washed her hair in a year

appplecidder

Basically my sibling is tired of braids and wants to get a sew in with her hair left out around the perimeter .. She normally only washes her her once a year or twice a year if she feels like it :ohwell:.. She told me that she wanted to relax the leave out and this was my reaction :blush::blush::blush::nono::nono::ohwell::perplexed... I told her that her hair is unhealthy and the concept of relaxing just the leave out is NO NO.... She is going to do it regardless.. I explained to her that since she will relax to at least do a moisturizing deep treatment before hand. Any extra information will be greatly appreciated thanks.

I say sit back and watch the madness. She has already ignored your advice. There isn't much you can do besides say I told you so when her ish falls out and give her the link to hang out with us.

I'm totally over giving people hair advice only for them to turn their nose up at me like I'm the crazy one.

If she was my sister I would only be talking to her on the phone. Good God I don't even WANT to imagine the smell.

do you mean someone else washes her hair like she goes to a salon? or she really never washes her hair except once a year?

How old is she? Is it possible for one to go one year without washing one's hair and still have a scalp that has not been scratched off? Wow!!!

I agree with you OP. She should at least wash and deep condition her hair and give her hair at least a 2 week break before moving forward with her plans. But it sounds to me like this person does not care. Good luck.

^^^ that's what I was thinking, but for someone to not wash their hair for a year seemed too serious to even joke about :look:

this an april fools joke....right?

That's my question too!

But if she doesn't wash her hair, what does she do? Does she no poo or does she not cleanse her hair and scalp at all? If she has already turned down your advice I say let her hair fall out, since she wears braids she will have to put them in real soon.

I'm sorry, but not washing your hair for that long is not sanitary.:look: Why people think dirty hair grows is beyond me.:rolleyes: Her hair must smell.:nono: As for relaxing, it is not advised to relax hair that has been in braids for a long period of time. It is recommended to wash and deep condition your hair and give it a 2 week rest period and before relaxing. If she doesn't do that, she may get breakage and sores due to her braids. I hope she changes her mind.

Good luck convincing someone who doesn't even wash their hair to have healthy hair care practices. She might be better off just having no hair at all if she's not going to wash it.

Maybe introduce her to the boards and scientific articles about not washing your hair somehow. Mix hair up some ayurvedic cleansing teas so at least she can cleanse with those if she doesn't want the whole poo and condish. My little sis didn't wash her hair often or know about moisture and dcing now she's doing much better after I exposed her to youtube haircare vids and forums like this. But if she's older than you... Watch the madness it's a trainwreck. I have siblings who are "pro cosmos' but guess what neither of them know much at all about natural hair and when I tried to tell one omg lol so save your time after her hair is messed up she'll come running to no other than u.

Applecidder, how are you gonna put your sisters business out there like that? I think he's joking. Apple, please tell us you're joking :). If you're not joking, relaxing the leave out is not that big of a deal. There are women who only relax their front edges just for that purpose. The bigger issue is that she doesn't wash her hair. Address that first.

Edited to add (eta): Oooh, I have a good one, you should surprise her w/a hair washing while she sleeps one day. Just pull up w/a big basin or bowl full of hot water and the shampoo and get to work!

do you mean someone else washes her hair like she goes to a salon? or she really never washes her hair except once a year?

No she only washes once a year because she is always in braids I know.. not a excuse
Sent from my MB200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Applecidder, how are you gonna put your sisters business out there like that? I think he's joking. Apple, please tell us you're joking :). If you're not joking, relaxing the leave out is not that big of a deal. There are women who only relax their front edges just for that purpose. The bigger issue is that she doesn't wash her hair. Address that first.

Edited to add (eta): Oooh, I have a good one, you should surprise her w/a hair washing while she sleeps one day. Just pull up w/a big basin or bowl full of hot water and the shampoo and get to work!

No I really wish I was joking... she was dead serious.. I guess she wants me to install the hair lol.. I been telling her for the longest to wash more ofter but she fails to listen..

How old is she? Is it possible for one to go one year without washing one's hair and still have a scalp that has not been scratched off? Wow!!!

I agree with you OP. She should at least wash and deep condition her hair and give her hair at least a 2 week break before moving forward with her plans. But it sounds to me like this person does not care. Good luck.

This has got to be an Aprils fool joke! Ain't no way any person is walking around with haven't-been-washed-in-a-year nasty, foul smelling hair. That would be beyond disgusting!

So she is braiding dirty hair??? Like she only washes once a year with shampoo but she cowashes, right? Something like that? Who is braiding her hair, b/c if she's only washing it once a year, I can't imagine her showing up to a salon or something w/hair that is washed once a year. The dandruff... the oil... the buildup...

I'm just... umm...

This post is making me co wash my hair tonight with my GVP Paul Mitchell's tea tree conditioner!

Ok OP, before these boards, when I had braids in my hair, I wouldn't wash my hair for at least 4 months and I know LOTS of people like that still. You're gonna have to start her off with baby steps. I would really ask her to try a dry shampoo or cleansing spray to start. Then ask her to wash her hair once a month and offer to help her. Once she gets through some initial baby steps hopefully she can wash her hair more often. If she still doesn't listen, then you did your best. It's her life, and now she is making an informed decision.

OP what condition is her hair in by not washing her hair? is it dry? short and broken? Long and dry? Long and healthy:look: curious tis all

Offer her your advice once more.

But realize you can bring the horse to the water but you can't make them drink.

She is a Grown woman.....

You should show her this thread to motivate her to wash her hair more often. Because after a while, her scalp and hair must go rancid. OP, I've watched your youtube vids and honestly you seem to be one to exaggerate :rolleyes: Which is cool, but if she really hasn't washed her hair in a year this problem is beyond LHCF

Last edited:
Errmmm... well .... When I was little, I hardly ever washed my hair and it was absolutely fine. My hair was pretty long and thick ... it didn't smell and it didn't itch. I never used any products besides maybe grease a couple of times a year. I never had any build up. Like if I scratched my scalp, I'd never have gunk coming off it. My scalp was just fine.

It was only after I got my hair relaxed around 10 or so, that I was in the salon every week, using products ... that I started getting my hair washed every week.

I know several people now who hardly ever wash their hair. It's probably thicker than mine. The only real issue is that they don't retain their length because they get a lot of self-inflicted breakage.

Meh. Sue me.

I bet Apple's sister's hair doesn't smell as bad as y'all are making it out to be. I'm sure it doesn't smell like roses, but still.

Back