Help Please. Demarcation line breakage!

HappyHairDreams

Hi Ladies, I need some advice. I'm trying to stretch the time between my perms to 12 weeks (I used to do it every 6 weeks for years but after I joined the forum, last time I made it to 10 weeks) I'm at week 8 now but I'm having breakage at the demarcation line and I don't know how to make it stop. I've always had this problem but I'm trying to find a way to fit it. Here's my general regime:
- A heavy protein treatment with Aphogee & Nexxus Emergencee every 6 weeks and a light weekly/bi weekly protein treatment.
- A DC with Humectress weekly
- Co-wash twice a week
I only comb with a huge shower comb and I try not to touch it too much - like every other day. And I moisturize almost daily with Pantene relaxed and natural daily oil cream and either fructis long and strong or nexxus headress.

What am I doing wrong? My hair just can't seem to last with the different textures...

Last edited:
Aphogee is a tough act to follow...why are you using Nexxus with Aphogee? That may be too much protein??

Have you tried spraying scurl on your ng? I used this my last 3 wks of my 14 week stretch and I think that was what saved my hair. No breakage, but my ng was dry.

This seems to keep going back and forth, but I thought if you had breakage you're hair was too hard and you needed moisture, and if you had long strands then it was too soft=to much moisture and you needed more protein?

Hi Ladies, I need some advice. I'm trying to stretch the time between my perms to 12 weeks (I used to do it every 6 weeks for years but after I joined the forum, last time I made it to 10 weeks) I'm at week 8 now but I'm having breakage at the demarcation line and I don't know how to make it stop. I've always had this problem but I'm trying to find a way to fit it. Here's my general regime:
- A heavy protein treatment with Aphogee & Nexxus Emergencee every 6 weeks and a light weekly/bi weekly protein treatment.
- Co-wash twice a week
I only comb with a huge shower comb and I try not to touch it too much - like every other day.

What am I doing wrong? My hair just can't seem to last with the different textures...

- Co-wash twice a week
I only comb with a huge shower comb and I try not to touch it too much - like every other day.

I would suggest to only use hard core protein when you feel it is necessary, not so much on a schedule (unless, you have the type of hair that LOVES protein).

Try prepooing with oil or condish, or conctions of both (also with honey, coconut milk, castor oil...all applied to your ng).

If you must use protein on a regular schedule, try prepooing with protein on dry hair first. Then follow it with your normal wash and deep-conditioning.

The more new growth you have, wash your hair in sections, the crown and glory method. As the hair grows even bushier, the smaller the sections should be.

Follow your wash and deep-conditioning with a detangling rinse (I like my Capilo's Sole & Cinnamon rinse). I apply it, detangle in sections, then rinse.

Moisturize your hair in sections as well.

Aphogee is a tough act to follow...why are you using Nexxus with Aphogee? That may be too much protein??

Have you tried spraying scurl on your ng? I used this my last 3 wks of my 14 week stretch and I think that was what saved my hair. No breakage, but my ng was dry.

This seems to keep going back and forth, but I thought if you had breakage you're hair was too hard and you needed moisture, and if you had long strands then it was too soft=to much moisture and you needed more protein?

I agree totally :yep:

Thanks for responding. There's still a bunch of stuff I don't know...what's "scurl"?

I use Aphogee mixed with Emergencee because I had really bad porosity problems from over processing and just all around bad care. A couple of ladies on here recommended mixing the two because Emergencee is less harsh than aphogee and makes applying the protein easier - it doesn't run.

I would suggest to only use hard core protein when you feel it is necessary, not so much on a schedule (unless, you have the type of hair that LOVES protein).

Try prepooing with oil or condish, or conctions of both (also with honey, coconut milk, castor oil...all applied to your ng).

If you must use protein on a regular schedule, try prepooing with protein on dry hair first. Then follow it with your normal wash and deep-conditioning.

The more new growth you have, wash your hair in sections, the crown and glory method. As the hair grows even bushier, the smaller the sections should be.

Follow your wash and deep-conditioning with a detangling rinse (I like my Capilo's Sole & Cinnamon rinse). I apply it, detangle in sections, then rinse.

Moisturize your hair in sections as well.

Thanks! I'm going to try all of that. Do I really need to do a detangling rinse? (Humectress leaves my hair really well detangled once water hits it)

Thanks! I'm going to try all of that. Do I really need to do a detangling rinse? (Humectress leaves my hair really well detangled once water hits it)

Only you will know whether your hair really needs something. You do not have to try everything at once. Do what works and gradually experiment. I used Humectress as my primary condish for almost 2 years, so I know how good it is. But ever since using a detangling rinse, it helps with my porosity, and flattens my cuticles...which in turns prevents tangling and makes stretching much easier.

Edit: ever since using rinses...I do not have demarcation breakage issues either.

I alternate my Dominican rinse with Roux Condition/Corrector. I only keep the rinses in for about 30 secs, while I detangle. It is a keeper in my regimen.

GymFreak recommended I try The Paul Mitchell Detangler because of the low pH, and I recently purchased it, and have yet to try it, but I can't wait. I find the better you do to tame the ng, the more manageable your hair will be overall.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. There's still a bunch of stuff I don't know...what's "scurl"?

I use Aphogee mixed with Emergencee because I had really bad porosity problems from over processing and just all around bad care. A couple of ladies on here recommended mixing the two because Emergencee is less harsh than aphogee and makes applying the protein easier - it doesn't run.

S Curl is a jheri curl moisturizer. A lot of the member on this site use it.

Instead of doubling the protein (ahpogee is just to strong to add another fairly intense protein treatment) why not work on the porosity?

I'm currently working on my porosity because I too had years of overprocessing to correct. What works wonders for me is Roux Porosity Control conditioner.

Honestly, this stuff also gives superior slip for easier detangling as a bonus. I have to remember it's to correct a problem, and not depend on it too much as a weekly conditioner/detangler :grin:

ebonyline51_1991_16583234

In agreement with a lot of women who've already posted. I've had that problem as well and for me, I find that my hair loves moisture and not protein so much. I've used Apoghee, Emergencee, and DRC-28 and it has not helped. I finally realized that I HAD to have more moisture than protein. So now, I'm finding that I only use protein perhaps once a month and then not a heavy protein. So you might want to up your moisture (and S-curl is great BTW) and decrease your protein, by a lot! HTH

Instead of doubling the protein (ahpogee is just to strong to add another fairly intense protein treatment) why not work on the porosity?

Honestly, this stuff also gives superior slip for easier detangling as a bonus. I have to remember it's to correct a problem, and not depend on it too much as a weekly conditioner/detangler :grin:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff. :love: I bought it ions ago, but only used it after my fresh relaxer. Only a few months ago did I realize that it works great as a more constant staple. But I also alternate it w/my Dominican rinse, which is a good balance for porosity and detangling.

I'm currently working on my porosity because I too had years of overprocessing to correct. What works wonders for me is Roux Porosity Control conditioner.

Thanks. How often do you use the porosity control?

I use twice a month. After I reach 6 weeks and beyond post I wish I could use every week.

No one can give me a definitive answer whether it's ok to use this type of corrective treatment regularly...but if I find out it's ok I will use this every wash once the ng starts to rage.

Thanks. How often do you use the porosity control?

Maybe you should relax. Just a thought. Why do you want to stretch so badly?

Well it's only been 8 weeks. From everything I've read, stretching the time between relaxers promotes growth, thickening, etc.

I managed to find some more trends on stretching/demarcation line breakage, so I think I'll take it week by week, and if the breaking gets to the point where it's out of control, then I'll perm it.

I use twice a month. After I reach 6 weeks and beyond post I wish I could use every week.

No one can give me a definitive answer whether it's ok to use this type of corrective treatment regularly...but if I find out it's ok I will use this every wash once the ng starts to rage.

I tried to find the ingredients list online but the site doesn't list it...is there protein in it?

- Co-wash twice a week
I only comb with a huge shower comb and I try not to touch it too much - like every other day. And I moisturize almost daily with Pantene relaxed and natural daily oil cream and either fructis long and strong or nexxus headress.

Hey there, I see that you're from NY, and so am I. I'll be completely honest with you, I stretched from August to December with no problems at all, but being that the winter weather is here and it dries my hair out even more, I suffered a lot more shedding and breakage this time around, to the point where I cut my stretching down to just 12 weeks. I've figured out that for me, stretching in the winter months is just a no no, my hair is already dry enough no matter how much I moisturize off of the fact that the cold is harsh as heck. :nono::nono: Maybe this is your issue as well? Have you stretched before with no problems?

I had breakage at demarcation line also. I did a 1 time aphogee treatment which stopped the breakage. Then i did Overnight Deep conditions every week for 6 weeks. My hair loves moisture.
Don't use to much protein.

Hello Ladies! Angry Hair, I am having the same issues. So now how you feel. I have been stretching for 12 weeks, My goal was to go til May b/c i thought it would be good for my hair. However I think I am going to relax this weekend. I dunno, soo... confused, anyone have any suggestions!

Hello Ladies! Angry Hair, I am having the same issues. So now how you feel. I have been stretching for 12 weeks, My goal was to go til May b/c i thought it would be good for my hair. However I think I am going to relax this weekend. I dunno, soo... confused, anyone have any suggestions!

That would be another 12 wks and if this is your first run at stretching I would not suggest going that long.

Why not try taking your hair week by week and evaluate at the end of each week including how your hair is handling tangles, moisture levels, etc.

Continue keeping the ng super moisturized and weekly DCing is a must.

If at the end of next week you still notice more breakage my recommendation would be to go ahead a relax.

Next go around, if you want to stretch longer, try going 13 wks??

Thank you so much, This is my first stretch, so I think I am going to take you advice. I am going to finish out this week and maybe relax the next. Thanks alot.

That would be another 12 wks and if this is your first run at stretching I would not suggest going that long.

Why not try taking your hair week by week and evaluate at the end of each week including how your hair is handling tangles, moisture levels, etc.

Continue keeping the ng super moisturized and weekly DCing is a must.

If at the end of next week you still notice more breakage my recommendation would be to go ahead a relax.

Next go around, if you want to stretch longer, try going 13 wks??

Question: When using Scurl - are you just using it on the ng or all of your hair? I'm entering my 11th week - my crown is much dryer than the rest of my hair. I need a really good moisterizer? Right now I'm using KeraCare Creme hairdress.

Hey there, I see that you're from NY, and so am I. I'll be completely honest with you, I stretched from August to December with no problems at all, but being that the winter weather is here and it dries my hair out even more, I suffered a lot more shedding and breakage this time around, to the point where I cut my stretching down to just 12 weeks. I've figured out that for me, stretching in the winter months is just a no no, my hair is already dry enough no matter how much I moisturize off of the fact that the cold is harsh as heck. :nono::nono: Maybe this is your issue as well? Have you stretched before with no problems?

I think you may be right because when i stretched in the Fall moisture wasn't the major concern it is now. This Feb/March NY weather is harsh. I increased my co washing though and that seems to have helped.

I had breakage at demarcation line also. I did a 1 time aphogee treatment which stopped the breakage. Then i did Overnight Deep conditions every week for 6 weeks. My hair loves moisture.
Don't use to much protein.

Yes I started doing this as well, you're absolutely right, it does help.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff. :love: I bought it ions ago, but only used it after my fresh relaxer. Only a few months ago did I realize that it works great as a more constant staple. But I also alternate it w/my Dominican rinse, which is a good balance for porosity and detangling.

Hi, Esquire, how much is this product? I've been having a problem with detangling, but I think it's because I've been using too much leave-in (Salerm 21). The garlic treatment that I used is also soo drying, that affected my hair as well. I think I need to try this product. How do you know if you have a porosity issue?

What are the benefits of using the Dominican rinse? And when do you get it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi, Esquire, how much is this product? I've been having a problem with detangling, but I think it's because I've been using too much leave-in (Salerm 21). The garlic treatment that I used is also soo drying, that affected my hair as well. I think I need to try this product. How do you know if you have a porosity issue?

What are the benefits of using the Dominican rinse? And when do you get it?

Thanks in advance.

GD, hun I was MIA for a while, sorry for delayed response.

edit: I cannot remember how much it costs, but it was moderate. The benefits to using a Dominican rinse and the Roux PC, are both to lay cuticle flat and to help with detangling. I use them both the same way: I use about the size of a quarter coin. I leave it in for about 30 seconds, detangle my hair with my shower comb, then rinse.

Here is an informative post about checking whether your hair is porous from: SistaSlick's Fotki:

http://public.fotki.com/sistaslick/sistaslicks-healthy/stylingmaintenance--1/

Pt. 1: Is My Hair Porous? 3 Simple Tests.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/367189/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html

Pt. 2: Yes! It's Porous now Help Me Fix It!
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/375435/hair_porosity_help_for_dry_damaged.html

Some other threads:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=186229&highlight=porosity+test

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=191287&highlight=porosity+control snippet:

Porosity is going to be one of those things you are going to constantly have to manage until your hair gets healthier and even then you might still have problems. Personally, my hair has always been porous and its because I don't naturally have alot of cuticle layers.

To manage and correct it, your goal is going to be to use products that help seal and close the cuticle. A protein treatment fills in the cracks in a damaged cuticle which will help porosity issues. You also need to look for products that have a low pH to help close the cuticle. I would always wonder why my hair would feel great wash day and then like crap the rest of the week and it was because my cuticle wasn't closed and all the moisture was just leaveing my hair as quickly as I was trying to put it in. Look for shampoo's with a pH below 6. 4.5-5.5 range. If you don't know, email the company and ask. Elasta qp and Joico both have shampoo's that have low pH's. Roux makes a porosity contol shampoo and conditioner. There are many posts here about the Porosity control conditioner. You can also try a ACV rinse after conditioning to help close and seal the cuticle. In the long term, being more gentle with your hair and reducing overall damage will improve your porosity problems.

Last edited:
Back