Help! Natural 3 Years and don't Look Like It!

amalacoils83

After months of pleading with my sister I am now a newbie of lhcf! I am trying to learn all the terminology and look through different forums but sometimes I am discouraged because I know I should have more retention than I do.

This month makes it three years and I barely have an added length since 2008, this August I have finally became serious with my routine but I need some inspiration. My sister has been natural for a year and will soon pass me up if not already :nono:!

For the sister that have been in my shoes, please any advice or help and how did you 'overcome' it is all truly appreciated! I am a very thick haired 4b/4c.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Kasa's Pics 638.jpg
    Kasa's Pics 638.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 250
  • Kasa's Pics 639.jpg
    Kasa's Pics 639.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 232
  • Kasa's Pics 636.jpg
    Kasa's Pics 636.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 254
your hair is very beautiful!! Once you set your routine/regimen, know what works for YOU, you'll definitely achieve your desired length.
I've learned so much here and do try a few techniques and see what works for you
happy hair growing

you have beautiful hair
what don't you like about being natural?

Your regimen has alot to do with retention and the products you use
so what's your regime?

Welcome!
You have some beautiful hair and I am sure with the right reggie you will have it growing long in no time.

I agree with everyone else that your hair is beautiful. Do you mostly wear your fro out, or do you wear protective styles? How is your diet? Do you drink lots of water and take vitamins daily?

Okay ladies, in August 2009 I went to a natural hair salon and the lady deep conditioned my hair and removed a whole lot of buildup from my head, flat-ironed it and trimmed the ends.

I told her that I would put my hair in braids, and she suggested Taliah Waajid, Herbal Cleanser, Moisture Clenz, and Mist Bodifier. The Mist Bodifier to moisturize my hair during the week every other day, and wash my braids every other week with a half water/ half Herbal Cleanser switch I sprayed on my scalp and after I dried my hair apply the moisture clenz then the protective mist bodifier.

Before I used this regimen my hair after I took out my braids would be very dry, but now it is moisturized and soft when I take my braids out.

With my hair being out I shampoo with the Herbal Cleanser, condition with Paul Mitchell Moisture Supercharge and deep-condition with Aveda Dry Remedy.

I use Parnevu T-Tree Scalp oil on my scalp, I sprayed my hair with veg glycerin and water mix, and put Carol's Daughter hair milk on my ends. I let my hair air dry partially and then braid out in nine big plats when my hair completely drys I un-braided my hair.

For the hair style you see I two strand twist my hair and used small foam rollers, took them out the day after (this past Sunday) and voila!!

Any suggestions, I do love my natural hair but I know I haven't done everything that I was suppose to do.

Big Sis!!! You've seen the Light!!:yay: Yah! Glad u joined :yep: sad that I've been on for six months and you've made a thread before me :nono:. But I Trust that the Lovely Ladies on LHCF will help you like they've helped me on my journey! Be sure to search around too, muah!!!:iloveyou:

Welcome!! You're hair looks very healthy so I'm sure you'll see nothing but retention from here on out. What was your regimen for the first 3 years?

Well welcome to both sisters. You can help each other and you have quite a few people you can take a look at.

If you are a 4B thick haired lady, please peruse all of my fotki and ask any questions. You have to start somewhere and then tweek your regimen from there. But give it time and remember the journey is the main part of this. So while your sitting and waiting for it to grow. Research, research, research.

My best to both of you.

Well for starters you may want to committ to protective syling a little more and protecting thoses ends

What was most important for me in retaining length was detangling and manipulating properly.

A lot of hair is lost if you dont treat your hair like fine silk!... You have to detangle/comb carefully and me carefull not to snap any hairs when you braid/twist or etc.

but im sure you will learn that and so much more as a member here soooooo

WELCOME!

The first year I really did not have a regimen. I shampooed and conditioned but I did not really moisturize like I should have. In 2008, braids and weaves were my bestfriend, that could also be said for most of 2009, but I really did not take care of my hair in the weaves and braids until August 2009 more than the occasional oiling of my scalp.

Attached is the big chop January 2007

Attachments

• meJan07.jpg
    meJan07.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 41
Welcome!!! I would suggest protective styling.. that will help you retain better but your hair is gorgeous and healthy!!

Welcome!!! You do have a head of lovely thick hair!!!
I'm not sure what is in the parnevu oil if it is working for you keep doing it ---

I would rather stick with oils that don't have preservatives or other ingredients in it when it comes to scalp care---some of my faves for scalp care tea tree/peppermint mixed with a carrier oil like EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil or EVCO Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.

The ladies above have def. made awesome suggestions to see length you must retain it and protecting your ends does the trick--- I was natural for 2 yrs and saw no thickness or length and figured out I was not detangling properly I was literally ripping out my hair from the scalp, then I learned how to properly detangle and it has been smooth sailing ever since.

sorry for the essay and I wish you a wonderful new healthy hair journey. :)

Well welcome to both sisters. You can help each other and you have quite a few people you can take a look at.

If you are a 4B thick haired lady, please peruse all of my fotki and ask any questions. You have to start somewhere and then tweek your regimen from there. But give it time and remember the journey is the main part of this. So while your sitting and waiting for it to grow. Research, research, research.

My best to both of you.

Thanks for the Love!!! {P.S. I've been LHCF stalking you for a while now...:rolleyes: don't judge me!:grin:

this August I have finally became serious with my routine but I need some inspiration. My sister has been natural for a year and will soon pass me up if not already :nono:!

The first year I really did not have a regimen. I shampooed and conditioned but I did not really moisturize like I should have. In 2008, braids and weaves were my bestfriend, that could also be said for most of 2009, but I really did not take care of my hair in the weaves and braids until August 2009 more than the occasional oiling of my scalp.

I told her that I would put my hair in braids, and she suggested Taliah Waajid, Herbal Cleanser, Moisture Clenz, and Mist Bodifier.

Before I used this regimen my hair after I took out my braids would be very dry, but now it is moisturized and soft when I take my braids out.

I use Parnevu T-Tree Scalp oil on my scalp, I sprayed my hair with veg glycerin and water mix, and put Carol's Daughter hair milk on my ends. I let my hair air dry partially and then braid out in nine big plats when my hair completely drys I un-braided my hair.

Well let me first say you and your sisters are 2 different ppl, she may have a faster growth rate then you, or she may just be retaining more then you! You cant look at others to determine anything about your hair. Also how do you know you are not retaining? Have you measured your hair?? I say you measure & re-measure for 2mths straight(once a month) and see how much you gained.

Another thing is you say you have not taken care of your hair until Aug 2009, what do you expect?? It has been less then a year since you started to baby your hair!
Nutritionist like to say to pregnant women who want to loose baby weight "It took you 9mths to gain it so it will take you another 9mths to loose". Its the same thing with your hair, you have almost 3yrs of damage hair on your head so expect atleast a year or MORE for it get back to healthy hair.

The last thing i want to say is, Your methods! Are those products really working for your hair?? have you tried any others? Are you moisturizing enough?? How much & how often do you protective style? I think a good solid regimen is key to retaining lots & lots of hair. Sometimes it takes lots of tweaking, i know it took me atleast 3yrs to perfect my regimen:lachen:Im still tweaking my deep condition methods, but most of my regimen is down packed, i gained 7 1/2in in a year:meditate:

Last edited:
Welcome!!! Yay more naija sisters!

Like others have said, finding a good regimen is the place to start. Check out my fotki for tips.

When you're not in braids, how do you wash your hair? Do you wash it loose or in big braids/twists? Not washing loose can make such a big difference with regards to retaining length.

I love how thick your hair is btw. It's beautiful!!!

you're prob wearing your hair out too much..i would hide it or wear a bun sometimes so it can stay moistrize..natural hair eats up moisture...your hair can become dry which can split and break...moisturize...and don't wear it out so much..and drink lots of water..and don't forget a lot of conditioner..

:welcome:

In addition to all the great advice you've received so far I'd like to suggest you that you join a challenge. It's a great way to keep yourself accountable and you get great tips and motivation from other participants. I'd also suggest tracking your HHJ with a pictorial journal. :Flahsssss Sometimes when the mirror shows you no growth, pics from previous months definitely will! Lastly, be patient, don't get discouraged and don't compare your hair to anyone elses. Sometimes when I'm feeling down about my progress (or lack thereof) I actually avoid others' fotki's, youtube progression vids, etc...just for a while. It helps me remember that my HHJ is MY HHJ and allows me to re-focus. Anyhoo, I've "talked":bah: too much, time for me you shut up!

Happy Growing!

Back