Help! My Natural Curls Are Gone!

taytay86

Hey Family:

I've been natural for almost a year now, and I am loving it. All my life I never thought I had curly hair because I didn't remember what it looked like in its natural state (my mom permed my hair in the fourth grade). Imagine my surprise when I did the big chop. It was an emotional moment for me.:rolleyes:

I currently wear my hair short and faded, with a bright auburn colour from Shea Moisture. That is the only chemical treatment I've done to my hair over the past year. This month, I decided to press it out for a new look AND I LOVED IT. I wore my hair straight for about 3 weeks, using flexirods at night, and using the flat iron on low heat maybe 4 times over that three week period.

I noticed when I washed my hair the first time, the curls were looser but still defined. The second time I washed it my hairdresser mentioned that it felt dry. I thought perhaps it was the products I used in my hair. I noticed the coarseness once it was styled and tried to "iron it out" when I was home, but when that didn't work I just left it alone and continued roller setting my hair. I recently washed it on my own this time, treated it and everything was fine for a day or so - but then I noticed my natural curls started to look frizzy and feel real dry. Certain parts of my hair won't even curl back :cry3:I don't know what to do to bring back my natural curl pattern, right now it looks as if I've lost it:(

I don't believe it was over processed, as my daughter gets her hair pressed the same way I do and her curls bounce back every...single...time.

I've uploaded images of my hair when I coiled it, when it was pressed, and how it looks now.

I am going to do a finger coil it and see if that helps, but I wanted to ask if any of you ladies experienced the same thing and if you could offer some advice.

TIA

Attachments

Try Indian healing clay and lots of deep conditioning. I saw on YouTube a woman did the clay after straightening her hair to get the curls to bounce back. Sorry this happened to you. The other ladies will be here to advise you soon. They know better than me, but that's what I would do if I were you.

Sounds like a clear case of heat damage. :( re-straightening even if on 'low', attempting to iron out coarse texture are all sure fire ways to melt curls. Even if your daughters hair survives this type of treatment, her hair type, durability, strength, and history may all be different.

I'd start with a monthly hardcore protein like aphogee. Weekly steam/heat DC with raw honey and shea moisture high porosity (since this is likely your hair type now). Moisturize, seal with avocado oil (softens) + castor oil, and baggy all over for at least a week.

Biweekly Olaplex helped me some, but wasn't a $70 miracle. More like $30 miracle that cost me $70, lol.

I agree with Promise44. It sounds like heat damage. It only takes 1 time. Definitely do the hard core protein followed by a moisturizing dc. You will probably have to do multiple treatments.

Some have said Olaplex helped but I don't have any experience with Olaplex and heat damage.

Thank you so much ladies! Does this mean I can never straighten my hair again?

Looking forward to more responses :)

Sounds like a clear case of heat damage. :( re-straightening even if on 'low', attempting to iron out coarse texture are all sure fire ways to melt curls. Even if your daughters hair survives this type of treatment, her hair type, durability, strength, and history may all be different.

I'd start with a monthly hardcore protein like aphogee. Weekly steam/heat DC with raw honey and shea moisture high porosity (since this is likely your hair type now). Moisturize, seal with avocado oil (softens) + castor oil, and baggy all over for at least a week.

Biweekly Olaplex helped me some, but wasn't a $70 miracle. More like $30 miracle that cost me $70, lol.

I was afraid of this. Which high porosity product should I use with the treatment? Should I switch everything over to the entire high porosity line until my hair is repaired?

You can straighten your hair again eventually, you're just going to have to use a different technique and a very very good heat protectant. One thing I saw was a lady using the blow dryer on cool to blow her hair out before straightening it . It takes a lot longer when the use the cool setting, but you're not using heat and it works . Then straighten on low heat and only use one pass . I asked a question about this a very very long time ago on here and there were many different things you could do to your hair before straightening it , including using certain conditioners, as well as adding heat protectant that will make sure you don't have any heat damage .

Very cute pictures! Sorry this happened to you. I agree with @promise44. The same thing happened to me a few years ago. I was so frustrated so I just big chopped again. I'm still afraid to use heat. LOL.

Good luck to you!

Sorry this happened to you. Sounds like heat damage. Try the protein followed by moisture.

When you straighten your hair you always run the risk of heat damage. It's my opinion that you have to choose either to wear your hair straight all the time or not straighten at all. Natural hair that is straightened just doesn't feel or look the same once you go back to wearing your curls.

Your issues could be a combination of both the color and heat damage. As someone said above lifting your natural color to get the red probably raised your cuticles making your hair more high porosity. Couple that with straightening and it was probably the after flatironing you did that caused more damage. Re-flatironing is typically a no-no. You should always start with a fresh clean pre-treated canvas when using heat. Also using heat protectant is a must. I personally use 2 when I straighten my hair and only use 1 pass.

I am currently transitioning heat damage from too frequent visits to a dominican salon. In addition to transitioning here is what is working for me: You need to clarify, protein treat and DC with a good moisturizing DC. For protein I use Komaza Protein Stengthener, for DC I really love SM Manuka Honey masque. I would use heat for at least 30 minutes while you DC.

I am an Olaplex believer! I originally thought my entire head was beyond repair and heat damaged but the majority just needed to a re-awakening and Olaplex did that for me. I faithfully used Steps 1 and 2 bi-weekly for 3 months. It wasn't until the 2nd use before I saw progress, I kept using it and by month 2 I had different hair. By the end of 3 months I knew where the true damage was, about 6 inches throughout versus my entire head. I now use it in maintenence mode with Philip Kingsley elasticizer. Another holy grail product! This will also wake your curls up. Both the Olapex and PK are expensive but to me worth it.

Finally yes you can straighten your hair again. I probably wouldn't for at least 4-6 months to give your hair a chance to rest while you repair. But next time be sure to clarify, protein treat and DC beforehand and use a good heat protectant with one pass and absolutely NO flatironing mid-week to refresh. If your hair starts to revert find alternative styles like flexi-rods, bantu knot-outs, braid outs etc...all these are cute alternatives to extend a straight style. Hope this helps!

@Napp used Olaplex to get some of her curls back plus I agree about trying some clay wash. I use J. Monique's Naturals Dead Sea Mud Wash and that makes my curls pop and clump like you wouldn't believe plus it makes other products work really well on my hair afterwards.

Your issues could be a combination of both the color and heat damage. As someone said above lifting your natural color to get the red probably raised your cuticles making your hair more high porosity. Couple that with straightening and it was probably the after flatironing you did that caused more damage. Re-flatironing is typically a no-no. You should always start with a fresh clean pre-treated canvas when using heat. Also using heat protectant is a must. I personally use 2 when I straighten my hair and only use 1 pass.

I am currently transitioning heat damage from too frequent visits to a dominican salon. In addition to transitioning here is what is working for me: You need to clarify, protein treat and DC with a good moisturizing DC. For protein I use Komaza Protein Stengthener, for DC I really love SM Manuka Honey masque. I would use heat for at least 30 minutes while you DC.

I am an Olaplex believer! I originally thought my entire head was beyond repair and heat damaged but the majority just needed to a re-awakening and Olaplex did that for me. I faithfully used Steps 1 and 2 bi-weekly for 3 months. It wasn't until the 2nd use before I saw progress, I kept using it and by month 2 I had different hair. By the end of 3 months I knew where the true damage was, about 6 inches throughout versus my entire head. I now use it in maintenence mode with Philip Kingsley elasticizer. Another holy grail product! This will also wake your curls up. Both the Olapex and PK are expensive but to me worth it.

Finally yes you can straighten your hair again. I probably wouldn't for at least 4-6 months to give your hair a chance to rest while you repair. But next time be sure to clarify, protein treat and DC beforehand and use a good heat protectant with one pass and absolutely NO flatironing mid-week to refresh. If your hair starts to revert find alternative styles like flexi-rods, bantu knot-outs, braid outs etc...all these are cute alternatives to extend a straight style. Hope this helps!
@Daina,

Where do you get your Olaplex from please?

@Aggie, I have gotten it from Amazon and also had a friend who is a licensed cosmetologist buy it for me directly. I have had no issues ordering from Amazon, mine has always come in the original Olaplex packaging. On occasion I call the company as well and validate the batch number.

You can straighten your hair again eventually, you're just going to have to use a different technique and a very very good heat protectant. One thing I saw was a lady using the blow dryer on cool to blow her hair out before straightening it . It takes a lot longer when the use the cool setting, but you're not using heat and it works . Then straighten on low heat and only use one pass . I asked a question about this a very very long time ago on here and there were many different things you could do to your hair before straightening it , including using certain conditioners, as well as adding heat protectant that will make sure you don't have any heat damage .

Thanks so much - can you please share those links? I would like to read up on different techniques.

the color probably weakened your hair and then the heat finished it off. your hair is also fine (like mine) and will require more gentleness.

the protein treatments suggesyed here are great and will help hold it together. as it grows, I suggest trimming off the damage little by little.

Probably not heat damage. Coloring your hair can change your curl pattern. If you lifted your color then your hair is more prone to dryness and box color really isn't good for your hair anyway.

Nope didn't lift my hair, and I have been using shea moisture colour which is safer than regular colour with ammonia etc. I've been colouring my hair for almost a year and never had dryness.

On the Opalex website, I see three products: one to mix with colour, one to used after colour and another maintenance product. Which product are you ladies using? The whole line? @Daina @promise44

I missed the part about the hair bleach. I was rocking level 7 blonde wsl curls for almost two years. Then i discovered Dominican salons and my curls melted in less than a month. I think lifted hair is like relaxed hair (partly, because the bleach does somewhat relax the curl). Flat ironing both bleached and relaxed hair leads to curl and length loss- just a matter of time.

I've only tried the SM hi po dc. I love it with raw honey. Since I have dye, my hair is so dull. Honey brings shine back. My other love is aloe vera juice. Sealed with almond, avocado, tad bit of coco oil. A good weekly protein conditioner (to do in between apghogee-- do not skip this first step) is joico kpak.

Check out the thread here for hi po girls for other great recs and tips.

I purchased olaplex from amazon. Id recommend just buying number 2 and treating it as a daily leave in and prepoo. Number one is supposed to be most concentrated but is so liquidy my hair couldn't grab it, it just pooled at the bottom of my showercap. Number three is the weakest- that's why I rec 2 for heat + bleach damage.

Joico from tjmaxx.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Nope didn't lift my hair, and I have been using shea moisture colour which is safer than regular colour with ammonia etc. I've been colouring my hair for almost a year and never had dryness.

I haven't looked at sm specifically, but having been some form of blonde in salons for over 7 years total- there's always products coming out saying ammonia (bleach) free.

It may not be bleach, but I promise you. If your hair is even 2 shades lighter, there's some form of bleach derivative used to open up the cuticle so color can take.

Kind of like how sulfrate free shampoos often have sulfate derivatives that make your hair dry.

Your regimen may have been holding you over until that heat struck.

Whatever the case, I'm so so sorry. You'll be back in no time though.

@Aggie, I have gotten it from Amazon and also had a friend who is a licensed cosmetologist buy it for me directly. I have had no issues ordering from Amazon, mine has always come in the original Olaplex packaging. On occasion I call the company as well and validate the batch number.
@Daina,

Oh goodie. That is so good to know. Thanks a million.

@taytay86, I used steps 1 and 2 together for 3 months on a bi-weekly basis. It is more liquidy but I would squeeze it into my strands and then put on a cap. After 30 minutes apply step 2 directly on top do not rinse step 1 out. I let steps 1 and 2 sit for 45 minutes and then washed. I initially used step 3 for maintenance but I now use step 2 only for maintenance. I believe you need to start with steps 1 and 2 first due to the severity of your damage.

When you are natural, and have color (lifting, bleaching) etc... you have to be more aware of your moisture levels. Hair becomes more fragile when it has been lifted. so you can use heat again, but I wouldn't mix heat styling with natural lifted, bleached hair. And everybody can't go for the relaxed look with natural hair (silk press) and not risk heat damage. Some textures take more heat to get it relaxer straight...

This is coming from someone that had a Mohawk fade (bleached, purple, red, blonde, hair)
I didn't suffer heat damage, but I suffered from dryness. I was using products filled with heavy creams, oils, and protein that wasn't really Moisturizing my hair. I used a gel that had protein in it for wash n gos, and I wasn't using a sulfate Moisturizing shampoo to gently remove residue and prepare my hair for proper moisture absorption from my deep conditioner.

Thanks so much ladies!!!

Yesterday I took @promise44 advice and purchased the high porosity dc mask from SM (even though masks never work for me, I did what you suggested and added real Jamaican honey:rolleyes:) I DC'd for an hour with an old fashioned steam cap. Before that, though, I washed with SM castor oil poo, and used Giovanni reconstructive conditioner (and the curls were poppin again!:drunk:) When the damage happened, I could still feel the dryness even when I conditioned, but not last night!

After I rinsed out the DC, I added Giovanni direct leave in, sprayed SM reconstructive oil on, added shea butter to seal and put on my satin cap before bed. I am happy to say that my hair is back to normal now! This morning, I refreshed the curls with the steam from the shower and added a bit more shea butter.

I like the points made by @shortdub78 @Daina and others about straightening. I believe someone said it's either you wear your hair straight or curly but not both. I've decided that I am going to have a unit or some pieces made for me that will allow me to switch to straight styles without manipulating my own hair. Honestly, I thought that natural hair was like superman and could withstand anything when compared to relaxed hair.

What can I use to freshen up the curls during the day? I used cantu's coconut oil spray before...it was nice...maybe I can mix conditioner and water?

Thanks so much ladies!!!

Thanks so much ladies!!!

Yesterday I took @promise44 advice and purchased the high porosity dc mask from SM (even though masks never work for me, I did what you suggested and added real Jamaican honey:rolleyes:) I DC'd for an hour with an old fashioned steam cap. Before that, though, I washed with SM castor oil poo, and used Giovanni reconstructive conditioner (and the curls were poppin again!:drunk:) When the damage happened, I could still feel the dryness even when I conditioned, but not last night!

After I rinsed out the DC, I added Giovanni direct leave in, sprayed SM reconstructive oil on, added shea butter to seal and put on my satin cap before bed. I am happy to say that my hair is back to normal now! This morning, I refreshed the curls with the steam from the shower and added a bit more shea butter.

I like the points made by @shortdub78 @Daina and others about straightening. I believe someone said it's either you wear your hair straight or curly but not both. I've decided that I am going to have a unit or some pieces made for me that will allow me to switch to straight styles without manipulating my own hair. Honestly, I thought that natural hair was like superman and could withstand anything when compared to relaxed hair.

What can I use to freshen up the curls during the day? I used cantu's coconut oil spray before...it was nice...maybe I can mix conditioner and water?

Thanks so much ladies!!!
Your spray mixture sounds good!

Back