help, my hair is breaking

Glamorous_chic

hopefully someone can help me out. im not sure of my number, but i have fine shoulder length relaxed hair. a few weeks ago, i noticed my hair was seemingly "falling out" but when i examine the strands, they are short of different lengths and do not include the white bulbs. so i can only assume my hair is breaking off. at first i thought it was bc id tried to stretch too long, which was when i figured out i hadnt had a touch up since the middle of january. i got a touch up, last week, but im noticing my hair is still breaking off. i was getting dominican blowouts occassionally, but havent had one in a month, and besides the occassional blowout, i dont use heat. i dont flat iron my hair, and i wrap my hair nightly. ive been wearing my hair in a protective hairstyle of a bun for the past few days, and still find that when i take the bun down, and get ready to wrap, broken off hairs. i apply qp mango butter and seal with the keracare essential oils in the day before i bun my hair, and apply the cantu breakcure at night before i wrap. im considering doing the aphogee 2 minute treatment on saturday, but im afraid of hard protein. last time i tried it a few months ago, when washing it out of my hiar, i noticed my hair had broken off as soon as i washed it out of my hair. im getting worried, and dont know whats going on. any helps is appreciated. i tried to make this post as detailed as possible, to answer any questions upfront. thanks for even reading this far. :sad:

I would definitely try the protein. The 2-Min isn't hard at all. I would go for it. :yep:
Make sure it's the 2 MINUTE and not the 2 STEP. Hopefully some other ladies will chime in soon.

Seems like you're using alot of protein. Seems like you need moisture. Also, you might want to lay off wrapping your hair for awhile and just keep your hair moisturized, stop manipulating your hair and try baggying at night. I'm sort of a newbie, so I'm sure others will be able to help you with a little more information. HTH

hopefully someone can help me out. im not sure of my number, but i have fine shoulder length relaxed hair. a few weeks ago, i noticed my hair was seemingly "falling out" but when i examine the strands, they are short of different lengths and do not include the white bulbs. so i can only assume my hair is breaking off. at first i thought it was bc id tried to stretch too long, which was when i figured out i hadnt had a touch up since the middle of january. i got a touch up, last week, but im noticing my hair is still breaking off. i was getting dominican blowouts occassionally, but havent had one in a month, and besides the occassional blowout, i dont use heat. i dont flat iron my hair, and i wrap my hair nightly. ive been wearing my hair in a protective hairstyle of a bun for the past few days, and still find that when i take the bun down, and get ready to wrap, broken off hairs. i apply qp mango butter and seal with the keracare essential oils in the day before i bun my hair, and apply the cantu breakcure at night before i wrap. im considering doing the aphogee 2 minute treatment on saturday, but im afraid of hard protein. last time i tried it a few months ago, when washing it out of my hiar, i noticed my hair had broken off as soon as i washed it out of my hair. im getting worried, and dont know whats going on. any helps is appreciated. i tried to make this post as detailed as possible, to answer any questions upfront. thanks for even reading this far. :sad:

I think ur using way too much protein based products and not enough moisture-based products. You should try to co-washing with a moisture based conditioner, and DC with Aubrey ORaganics Honeysuckler Rose, and daily moisture with with some kind of mixture of shea, and olive butters, these butters work better on wet hair for me

You need a good protein treatment like Ultra Sheen Duo or Megatek....these I know work very well to stop breakage dead in its tracks. You must moisturize very well after you do a protein treatment. Do a search and find some threads on breakage for relaxed heads. I'm sure you will find someone who will give you better details than I can since I'm not relaxed.

I had to stop wrapping my hair for awhile. I noticed that my hair on one side was shorter than the other. If your hair is thin that protein may be too much. Try pin curls if you can do it and when you wrap change sides frequently.

Garlic pills
Hask placenta - leave in (not the conditioner )
MSM
Garlic shampoo
these have all been know to aid in breaking /shedding ..I'm certain others will come in and add more .... and most important "prayers" He knows how many hairs I have on my head :yep:

Blessings love ..this too will pass

Is your hair relaxed bone-straight? I have fine hair and I know bone straight causes it to break off - by the handfuls.

If so, do protein treatments until your next touch-up then don't leave the relaxer in as long (my stylist rubs it through once and then washes it out). It really depends on how resistant your curl is - mine is slightly resistant so not smoothing does absolutely nothing to my hair.

Also, look at your products. For me, the no-no's are mineral oil, lanolin, wax, petroleum, and castile. Those products seem to cause breakage on my hair.

HTH

thanks everyone. i'm taking msm already, may start taking some garlic pills. the breakage was happening before i started using the proteins. what are some specific moisturizers that aren't protein based?? i may just do a search to find some names. now i'm mad i spent all that money, just to have to buy something else. oh well. Thanks again ladies!!

Is your hair relaxed bone-straight? I have fine hair and I know bone straight causes it to break off - by the handfuls.

If so, do protein treatments until your next touch-up then don't leave the relaxer in as long (my stylist rubs it through once and then washes it out). It really depends on how resistant your curl is - mine is slightly resistant so not smoothing does absolutely nothing to my hair.

Also, look at your products. For me, the no-no's are mineral oil, lanolin, wax, petroleum, and castile. Those products seem to cause breakage on my hair.

HTH

well, she only leaves the relaxer on for literally maybe 4 minutes, and my hair turns out "bone straight". ive been waiting 12 weeks inbetween relaxers to try to stretch, but im thinking im gonna have to cut it down to 8. for some reason, my hair starts breaking off like crazy when i wait too long. i guess this is a lesson learned.

What are you DCing with and how often?

Check out the DC Challenge thread. There's a long list of DCs we use and I'm sure you can find something that you like.

ITA, you might be protein sensitive. My hair hates the Cantu :nono:

What do you wash/DC with? You may have something in your stash that will help.

i just bought a dc from the dominican shop. i have to look at the label though, i think its alter ego, i think. the lady said it was more moisturizing than the silicon mix, so thats the one i'll be using this week. i was previously using placenta and a dominican conditioner (cant remember the name) i was previously washing and dc weekly to biweekly, but will start weekly. i guess ill have to examine the ingredients on everything using.

i just bought a dc from the dominican shop. i have to look at the label though, i think its alter ego, i think. the lady said it was more moisturizing than the silicon mix, so thats the one i'll be using this week. i was previously using placenta and a dominican conditioner (cant remember the name) i was previously washing and dc weekly to biweekly, but will start weekly. i guess ill have to examine the ingredients on everything using.
There are couple of threads on an Alter Ego condish that is very moisturizing so if that's what you have, try that out for a while.

Also, move your bun around to prevent even more breakage.

Yes, you do need to "examine" the ingredients of the products you are using. I know alot of the Dominican products have "certain" questionable ingredients in them, so I would be careful with those. However, Alter Ego is an Italian Product.

If you are shampooing, I would make sure it is a good Moisturizing one w/o SLS. I would also invest in a good Moisturizing Deep Conditioner such as the Aubrey Organics, which are reasonably priced. There was a thread just today: Moisturizing Conditioners w/o Protein. Go back and read through that. Very Good Suggestions there.:yep:

If you can take a light protein, try the ORS Replenishing pack or the Joico-KPak or even the Aubrey Organics GPB which is a Protein/Moisture Balancer.

I also agree with what a previous poster said: Sometimes wrapping can be damaging especially if you are brushing too much, too hard etc.....

Last edited:
It looks like you are using too much protein. I would ease up on what you are doing and get a good clarifying shampoo and wash. Find a deep moisturizing treatment, Aveda is good, and leave it in for an hour. Even a lustrasilk cholesterol may do the trick. Try to manipulate your hair less, treat it like silk.

pm theislandoll. she just mentioned that someone pm'd her the idea of adding 1 tsp. baking soda to a sulfate free shampoo. i don't know all the details. just letting you know what i just found out not 10 min. ago.

i tried to post the thread, but could not figure it out.

I would suggest roux's alpha 5 in 1 correction shampoo and mendex treatment. This was a life savor for my hair, it seems to give the right balance of protein and moisture while sealing the cuticles. Also soft sheens shea buttter green tea hairdress is a great daily moisturizer, especially for the ends.

I too have fine hair and you might find that you are going to need more protein more often than other hair types. With having fine hair, you are dealing with a lower cuticle to cortex ratio.... so basically we have less cuticle than other types which makes us more prone to damage. We have to focus on cuticle preservation and maintance to keep our hair strong and healthy. Our hair is susceptible to damage from getting pushed in either extreme (protein, moisture) than other types so once you get to a balanced point, you need to try to stay there. It is important to use products have a low pH as well (acidifying) to tighten the cuticle that we do have. Acidifying products such as Nexxus Color Ensure, Paul Mitchell the Rinse or the detangler, are all great options as conditioners for us. I like the color ensure by itself and I use the rinse as a final rinse a couple of times a month.

You have lots of great information here so I don't want to duplicate...

however, as a fine-haired lady myself, I have to say that i used Elasta QP Mango Butter for about a month or so and it was wonderful...until the breakage started!!!!

i honestly think that the mango butter is too heavy and too protein filled for our hair type. you can see how fine my hair is in my avi.

good luck and throw that mango butter out girl! just my opinion!

when i looked at some of the suggestions, i couldn't decipher which one's were non-protein based, b/c some of the suggestions were said to be protein moisturizers in other threads.I didn't think it would be this hard to find a moisturizer. . so, after doing a search, and an inventory of what i already have, i have the ntm silk touch leave in cream and i have Motions Weightless Clear Hairdressing. when i looked at the ingredients i'm not sure if it contains a protein or not.

Weightless Clear Hairdressing
Water (Aqua) , Glycerin , Propylene Glycol , Polyacrylamide , C13-14 Isoparaffin , PEG-12 Dimethicone , DMDM Hydantoin , Laureth-7 , Disodium EDTA , Fragrance , Limonene , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Linalool , Hexyl Cinnamal , Citral , Benzyl Alcohol

has anyone had any success using this? and what is a good non-protein based daily moisturizer? thanks for any help.

You have lots of great information here so I don't want to duplicate...

however, as a fine-haired lady myself, I have to say that i used Elasta QP Mango Butter for about a month or so and it was wonderful...until the breakage started!!!!

i honestly think that the mango butter is too heavy and too protein filled for our hair type. you can see how fine my hair is in my avi.

good luck and throw that mango butter out girl! just my opinion!

That mango butter was crap for my hair too.

Back