HELP ! My hair is a mess,

gn1g

This is the strangest hair, I've ever had in my life. I don't even know where to start.

I comb out hand fulls of my hair everytime I comb my hair. My hair has been natural for 18 mos. I would tell you the texture but my hair is soooo messed up.

In the back my hair is one texture 3b-4, it is so dry I use every moisturizer in the book and it goes right back to being dry.

In the front it is like dog hair or something. /images/graemlins/confused.gif some places are straight and some strands are straigth near the roots, curly in the middle straigth again and curly on the ends, all on one strand of hair, WTH. It feels so rough and nasty. I was wondering why does it feel so yucky so I examined the strands thinking that the cuticles were open, but actually it looks like tight cursive written e's in sporadic places along the strands.

I think what happened was I used dark and lovely hair dye in March 2004 and my hair has been going down hill every since. Also my texture was always 3b-4a. But I went a lil crazy with the denman brush and it certainly contributed to the change in my texture. And I was using Kenra MC 2-3x a week, for elasticity.

I moisture about 1-2 times a week, Protein about 1x/mo.

Do I have to cut it all off and start over again? Is there a solution?

The only thing I can think of is that if you've been natural for 18 months, depending on your hair growth or if you chopped off the relaxed ends, the dye could've damaged the relaxed parts of you hair.

What kind of protein conditioners are you using? You may need a hardcore protein treatment like Dudley's DRC-28 or Aphogee's Treatment For Damaged Hair.

What kind of moisturizer are you using?

Also, examine the labels on your hair products. Some of them could be loaded with alcohol and other drying ingredients like SLS.

You say you comb out handfuls...how do you comb your hair?

Also, can you examine the strands that come out? Check to see if there is a bulb on the end. It may symbolize a health problem if your hair is coming out from the root.

If there is no bulb, then it is breakage. That may be resulting from the hair dye.

How often do you trim? Do you do semi-perm rinses? Those can help strengthen colored hair.

DF,
How do you know if it's coming out from the root? I thought hair with the bulb on it was shed hair?

I comb my hair with the k-cutter or the jilberg shower comb. I wear a ponytail or a bun. I also brush it up with a boars brush. Lately I've been putting on a silk cap and a wig to keep from combing it too much. My hair is breaking off I rarely see a white bulb. My ends are not permed. I trim my hair about once every three months.

I wash my hair weekly with Deep brillance, Suaves Professional Awuphi, Garlic shampoo or Nexxus Allure. I no longer do the ACV rinse. I was using the denman brush while my hair was full of shampoo but I stopped doing that also now I just use my shower comb. Which helps with the tangles.

I follow my shampoo with the bone marrow protein treatment or a jeri redding protein treatment. Then I follow that with NTM, Nexxus Humectris or the Biolage MC. I also use cholestral treatments.

I use the NTM leave in and every blue moon the Inf23.

If I wear a wig I put the sta soft fro in my hair. If I flat iron my hair I use Ultr sheen grease or shea butter grease to flat iron it.

I sleep on a satin pillow case with a satin scarf on my head.

I massage my scalp all the time. My hair line is very thin. I used to use Spurge but I stopped.

I notice that you use a lot of products that contain protein. Perhaps that is what is causing your breakage. I know that protein can be a good thing...but too much of it can lead to breakage. Maybe you could try limiting your protein usage to see if that might be causing the problem.

[ QUOTE ]
DF,
How do you know if it's coming out from the root? I thought hair with the bulb on it was shed hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep...that's what I was trying to say in my country terms. shed hair...coming out from the root...same thing to me. She needs to see if she's shedding hair or if it's breakage.

[ QUOTE ]
I notice that you use a lot of products that contain protein. Perhaps that is what is causing your breakage. I know that protein can be a good thing...but too much of it can lead to breakage. Maybe you could try limiting your protein usage to see if that might be causing the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA...most people limit protein conditioners to once a month.

Good advice about the protein conditioners, try using a moisturizing conditioner instead for a while.
And try to stop brushing for a while too. It's enough just to detangle with your fingers if you can manage.
Moisturize daily with a leave in conditioner and some oil for example.
HTH

when u comb your hair, do u rake thru it or comb it in sections?

Comb your hair in sections...very gently and slowly

Hi, Gn1g! I'm sorry you are having problems with your hair right now. I feel for you. I nearly ripped mine out in frustration last month! I also think you might be using too much protien. Have you tried condtion washes with a little evoo or another oil added? Forgo the brush for a while. I love my Denman but it can pull out enough hair for a barbie doll if I use it too much. I found that keeping my hair in Indian braids helped with the excess shedding. I would moisturize, moisturize, and moisturize, braid and use satin rollers on the ends. In the morning I would have two braids with the ends curled like curly q's and it would last me for a couple of days. To redo it I would just unbraid one side at a time, moisturize and comb with my fingers and rebraid and roll. No brush, no comb. It saved most of my sanity when I had to go 19 wks with no touch up!

DF,

I guess I was wondering what you meant by this line "It may symbolize a health problem if your hair is coming out from the root."? It confused me....if it's coming from the root with the bulb? If with the bulb I thought that was shed hair? <Scratching my head...lol>

WHat is indian style braids? Do you all think if I get a relaxer it would make the problem worse.

i don't recommend a relaxer at this point because you don't know what the problem is. adding more chemicals could make the problem a whole lot worse

I should have said American Indian braids, meaning two braids, one on each side. When I braid my hair like this and roll the ends with the satin rollers I don't even have to use rubber bands on the ends to hold the braid. It will stay all by itself for days curled up almost like a curly q meaning less damage on the ends when I unbraid them. I would not get a relaxer just yet. Not until I saw an improvement. I'm also having some success with using wgo with castor and coconut oil added on my scalp and length and lightly massaging every other night. My hair has felt so soft and not "oily" at all! Profective break free is also a choice for moisturizing. I use it when my hair feels dry. I top it off with a tiny amount of s-curl gel and braid or bun. The hair is really soft and moisturized in the morning. Diagnosing hair woes can be so dang tricky. I hate it when my hair does a downward spiral for no apparent reason, especially when my routine has not changed. Are you taking an oil supplement? Flaxseed, cod liver or a combo oil?

gn1g, do you like your hair better natural or relaxed?

If you don't like you natural hair and you're having problems managing it, you might want to consider relaxing it.

If you do like your natural hair better than when it was relaxed, try to find all the tips you can from the natural hair ladies on this board to help you out.

HTH! /images/graemlins/weird.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Also, can you examine the strands that come out? Check to see if there is a bulb on the end. It may symbolize a health problem if your hair is coming out from the root.

[/ QUOTE ]

DelightfulFlame, just because your hair sheds doesn't mean there's a health problem. Shedding is also a phase that is normal for your hair to go through. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Back