Help Me Decide, Sew-in, Or Lace Wig.

LunadeMiel

I'm natural and lately I've been wanting to change my hair up a bit. I want to try some different styles but I DON'T want to try them on my own hair. So I've decided to try extensions. I'm having a really hard time though deciding between getting a sew-in or a lacefront wig (It's been 9 months ya'll :nono: ). I'm looking for a longish style 18"+ loose wave to deep wave, nothing that requires a lot of maintenance. The main issue is that I don't think I can go 4 weeks without washing my scalp, it would drive me nuts, which makes a sew-in less appealing. But, I think LF tend to look too fake and I'm not skilled at making fake hair look real (ok...so I have 0 experience in that department.). Ladies, from your experience which should I get, a sew-in or a Lace wig?

Do you plan on having leave out with your sew in (if you get one). If you do then you could get a wig without lace (so a u-part, l-part, flip over or whatever other types).
You could try a wig for one month and if you dont like it then get a weave. Maybe try a cheaper alternative like crochet braids so you won't lose too much money if you dont like the style.

I really do think something like this is 100% personal opinion though so you really do need to experiment a little.
But I will give my perspective:

Pros for wigs

Hair lasts longer which means you won't have to replace it as quickly
Cheaper because you won't have to pay for someone to install it
Better access to natural hair

Cons for wigs

Can fly away when it gets to windy or a mad person on the street decides to pull it off.
Hassle of having to reinstall everyday

Pros for weaves

Less hassle to style and can "get up and go"
Tend to look more natural
Secure

Cons for weaves

Hair gets old quicker
Expensive to install and reinstall (unless you are skilled)
Can cause breakage if installed incorrectly

Hoped this helped

I have done both and I would suggest buying a lace wig and having a stylist style it for you and maybe even do some baby hairs/gel your baby hair/cut the lace properly/making sure your closure is right and tight lol. I also know that some folks on here use spirit gum to adhere their LFs for a few days with good success, so you could do it week by week yourself after getting it cut and fit that first time by a stylist. @LunadeMiel
Honestly, having a sew-in is low-key work, because you have to dilute and measure all of your products into nozzled bottles to apply them to your hair and scalp.

I would go with a sew in if you have someone who can do a good install.

I wash my hair every week. I have 2 nozzle applicator bottles from sally's. Once for poo, one for con. Each bottle I add 2 ounces of product, rest water. I wet my hair in the shower, apply poo, wash scalp, I use a rat tail comb at times. Do this twice, rinse, add con, let sit, rinse. I usually use peppermint or tea tree poo and con.

Apply leave in to hair, sit under dryer, flat iron.

I am not skilled at lace fronts and I am scared of looking wiggy.

I haven't worn a lf, but I have my first wig styled jn a pixie cut and I am in love. I love having access to my hair everyday, yet still get to rock a cute sassy hairstyle that im not going to do on my own hair. Also, I sleep with it on sometimes. :look:. Well it looks and acts like a sew in, so *Kanye shrug*

I'm not going back to sew ins unless I can catch Reniece!

I'm natural and lately I've been wanting to change my hair up a bit. I want to try some different styles but I DON'T want to try them on my own hair. So I've decided to try extensions. I'm having a really hard time though deciding between getting a sew-in or a lacefront wig (It's been 9 months ya'll :nono: ). I'm looking for a longish style 18"+ loose wave to deep wave, nothing that requires a lot of maintenance. The main issue is that I don't think I can go 4 weeks without washing my scalp, it would drive me nuts, which makes a sew-in less appealing. But, I think LF tend to look too fake and I'm not skilled at making fake hair look real (ok...so I have 0 experience in that department.). Ladies, from your experience which should I get, a sew-in or a Lace wig?

A lacefront sounds like it will allow you to still be able to properly care for your hair underneath. This is what my sister-in law is doing. Hers looks nice. She has human hair with a bang. The texture looks like relaxed hair.

Back