HELP!! I'm about to BC by MYSELF...

WonderfullyMade

I decided a few months ago to go natural, and it's been somewhat of a challenge ever since then. I currently have about 7 months (4 inches?) of "new growth" and I was waiting until after my graduation in December to cut all the relaxer off. My problem is that I am catching hell to take care my hair in this state (EXTREMELY thick natural hair, and really stringy relaxed ends) and I'm getting anxious waiting to see what my natural hair looks like!! I tried to go to the hairdresser today to get it professionally cut but of course being Monday they were closed. I'm trying to calm myself down (after all I have to face the college world tomorrow) but I've already cut about 4 inches of relaxer from somewhere in the middle of my head and I'm trying to build up the nerve to do the rest.

I have ABSOLUTELY NO STYLING experience!!! If any one can offer ANY guidance as to how I can proceed please feel free to share. I may not cut it myself tonight, but if I do I don't want to complete jack myself up!

Wow, you're really ready to take the plunge huh? Well, I don't know that I can offer you much advice (I did a really long transition and had the ends cut off professionally), but I know a few naturals that cut their own hair on the forum. From what I've gleaned, an easy way to cut your own hair if to put your hair in twists (they don't have to be really small--just maybe 10-12 of them) and then clip the ends of the hair.

I've heard of naturals doing this to give themselves a trim, but I can't guarantee that it will work for the BC. But since you've already started cutting and seem determined to see it through, just remember that curly hair hides uneven cutting sometimes (so unless you plan to flat iron it, it doesn't have to be perfect). Also, you can go to a professional later and have them clean up your ends to even them out if you need to.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks, I've been on Youtube for the last half an hour looking at videos of ppl cutting their hair. I'm really just trying to distract myself and buy more time so I can go to the hair dresser tomorrow, but I think I'm about to wash and then cut!

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. I bc'd about 2 months after my last relaxer and it was quite a shock, I was like oh my my hair is short. I always say don't bc without some pretty scarves, cute earrings and a wig (just in case you can't handle it). I think it's always best to be overly prepared. Please keep us updated!

I BC'd myself too...and I suggest putting some cheapie conditioner in your hair to help you find the demarcation line and using sharp scissors. Good lighting and a good mirror is also important. HTH. Best of luck.

I BC'd myself too...and I suggest putting some cheapie conditioner in your hair to help you find the demarcation line and using sharp scissors. Good lighting and a good mirror is also important. HTH. Best of luck.

^^ :yep: What she said!!!:yep:

And also as someone mentioned above....one of the wonderful things about clipping curly hair is that it doesn't have to be perfect---unless you plan to wear it straight! I did my final BC as well....and I am CERTAIN it was not perfect. My only goal was to get those straight hairs outta there!!!

Good luck--and be sure to post pics! :yawn:

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. I bc'd about 2 months after my last relaxer and it was quite a shock, I was like oh my my hair is short. I always say don't bc without some pretty scarves, cute earrings and a wig (just in case you can't handle it). I think it's always best to be overly prepared. Please keep us updated!

Check, Check, and double check :-)

I realized this while in the shower when I could still feel long strands of relaxed hair. Soo... I promptly got out, conditioner and all and cut them suckas!

Thanks so MUCH for all the advice. Honestly I think I just needed some reassurance that it could be done. The truth is I was so impatient that I couldn't wait for your responses. LOL:grin: I actually read all of them AFTER I got out the shower. But thank you so much because I actually did do EVERYTHING you recommended, so I know I was at least on the right track. I feel SO empowered right now... I was trying hard not to sing it, but India's "I'm am not my hair" kept playing in my head. lol And then I catch myself singing out loud to my scissors "You make me feel like a NATURAL woman". Hehe... I'm SO excited right now. All of my friends are gonna flip!! My mother (who won't see me until the end of the month at my cousin's wedding) is gonna be in SHOCK! I know the cut isn't perfect (DUH!) so I'll probably go to the hairdresser sometime later this week. But for now I'm satisfied.

Anyways.. here are the pics:

http://whatsnew.fotki.com/Flawdagator/

Big ole Congrats to ya Flawdagator!!

Your smile speaks volumes on how you feel and you look great as a natural!!

congrats! i BC'd by myself too in my bathroom with a pair of $.99 scissors and conditioner. it was easy as pie and nothing to be afraid of. afterward i washed really well, conditioned, trimmed some more and did a twist out. it was so much fun

Girl, just get you some scissors, go in the bathroom and cut it all off :flush:

I learned that when you are totally ready, you just do it! You won't have to ask for advice or anything, you will just chop it all off. I did last year for the second time (because I've been natural for about 9 years) and I was damn near bald! Now I got about 6-7 1/2 inches on my head :yep:

:boredwrk:

Thank you all for your support. Everyone at school thought it looked great and they were shocked when I told them that I did it myself. So far the only negative comment I've gotten is from my sister and she hasn't even seen it (lol). I can't wait to learn how to take care of this "new" hair!! I'm so happy because I feel like it's a second chance for me to grow long healthy hair, but this time I have LHCF to help guide and support me. :grin: You ladies are wonderful and each one of you are very encouraging. Thanks once again.

Back