HELP - hair out of weave- thin on top - bone strait relaxer - teased at the office

mikal

Hey people im desperate. so i had a full head of weave for about 5 years and for 2008 i decided to relax the top - however my stylist relaxed it bone straight yesterday, and i had no idea how thin it was - until now - its horrible. i have purchased almost every product i know and have purchased kerastase densitive supplements, a multi v and cod liver oil, as well as dr miracle temple and nape balm - what did i do wrong???:wallbash:

i was told that it was not normal for hair to thin out on top from being in a weave for such a long time, but im not sure. how do i get volume back??? im so afraid of my hair. i havent relaxed it in years - i have no clue what to do. and to make it worse - people at work have made fun of me - you would SWEAR this was high school. i dont even feel normal anymore.:nono: big grown a** women lauging at how thin my hair got. it shouldnt bother me but it does. i know im over reacting but i just need guidance on how to get my hair to look thick and normal again. I know i have to moisturize and seal with oil but then what??

any suggestions? please help. thanks 2 u all

Re: HELP - hair out of weave- thin on top - bone strait relaxer - teased at the offic

This is what I would do.
I would baby my hair a LOT. do protein and mositure treatments very often.
Use NO direct heat.
Try and use as little manipulation as possible.
Dont relax too often and when relaxing be very careful not to overlap.
Give it time and patience.
moisturize.
Ur hair will regain its volume again it just needs a lot of care.
My hair went very thin and damaged. i cut it and am doing all the things i just wrote (though i dnt always stick to the no direct heat thing) and its getting its volume bck. my family and friends keep commenting on how much thicker it looks.
Dont give up!
Good luck!
HTH.

Re: HELP - hair out of weave- thin on top - bone strait relaxer - teased at the offic

aww Mikal-sorry you work with such insensitive folx. I think you probably need to opt for not relaxing the top for a while or at least not bone straight.

You could massage your scalp nightly with bhringraj oil or a more traditional mixture of rosemary, cedarwood, peppermint and lavender in a jojoba and coconut oil base to help stimulate growth in that region. If you wear textured hair styles it might help to give the appearance of fuller hair as well. HTH

~DR

ETA: Biotin is a great supplement to try to help with your thinning situation. I suggest trying this supplement after you do your research/check with your doctor of course. Most people have great results with it. It was recommended to me by my derm(5k mcg).

Last edited:

I think that Sheena has given great advice. You also may want to start texlaxing your hair too. Judging from your post, it seems as though you know the potential down side to relaxing bone straight. Hopefully more ladies who have been in this situation will be able to chime in with advice. Until then... :bighug: and welcome to the board.

thank you all so much for responding. Im going to the BSS tomorrow to get the oils :)

Hey people im desperate. so i had a full head of weave for about 5 years and for 2008 i decided to relax the top - however my stylist relaxed it bone straight yesterday, and i had no idea how thin it was - until now - its horrible. i have purchased almost every product i know and have purchased kerastase densitive supplements, a multi v and cod liver oil, as well as dr miracle temple and nape balm - what did i do wrong???:wallbash:

i was told that it was not normal for hair to thin out on top from being in a weave for such a long time, but im not sure. how do i get volume back??? im so afraid of my hair. i havent relaxed it in years - i have no clue what to do. and to make it worse - people at work have made fun of me - you would SWEAR this was high school. i dont even feel normal anymore.:nono: big grown a** women lauging at how thin my hair got. it shouldnt bother me but it does. i know im over reacting but i just need guidance on how to get my hair to look thick and normal again. I know i have to moisturize and seal with oil but then what??

any suggestions? please help. thanks 2 u all

(((HUGGS))))) to you lady! Sorry about the comments from your IGNANT co-workers. Since you just got the relaxer yesterday, your hair may actually thicken up a little. I would suggest wearing styles w/ a little volume to help camoflauge the thiness. However, make sure to stick to very little manipulation. You can try a flexi rod set or even rollersetting (if you're wearing a human hair weave, the curls should hold up well). Also, as said before try to stay away from relaxing for a while. If you need any other help, feel free to PM me!

ETA: Yes ladies! I said "IGNANT" instead of "IGNORANT"...I know, I know!:lachen:

Last edited:

Have you ever considered stop wearing the weave and learning how to do your hair? We all had to start somewhere.

um no - too afraid - esp. now with this thinning thing on the top ....

Are you getting your hair braided under the weave? if so, that may be too much for your thinning hair. It may never thicken up.

have you considered wigs? I am not a wqig pro or anything, but I do know that you don't have to braid your hair and you still have access to you hair so that you can moisturize it, massage your scalp and everything to regain your hair's volume.

Sorry this happened to you. But, give your hair some time and w/ a little patience and nurturing your hair will be back on track! I hate that you work w/ a bunch idiots, that is unreal!!!

I have a few questions????

Do you have any scalp damage or bald spot in the thin areas???

Are the tracks showing through your hair???

Would you consider a break from the weaves in order to do some intense treatments for a while???

How does the rest of your hair look???

Are you getting your hair braided under the weave? if so, that may be too much for your thinning hair. It may never thicken up.

have you considered wigs? I am not a wqig pro or anything, but I do know that you don't have to braid your hair and you still have access to you hair so that you can moisturize it, massage your scalp and everything to regain your hair's volume.

Yes!:yep: A wig is a great idea as stated above by HoneyDew.

Sorry this happened to you. But, give your hair some time and w/ a little patience and nurturing your hair will be back on track! I hate that you work w/ a bunch idiots, that is unreal!!!

Would you consider a break from the weaves in order to do some intense treatments for a while???

Im a 4a with very dry / coarse hair. i dont have any scalp damage, it didnt burn at all when she relaxed me with the relaxer for coarse/ resistant hair; no the tracks are not showing - its just really really flat and really thin looking. (i always wore a full head of weave with a closure with braids under the weave so thats where im coming from -security blanket - some people carry aroud a lucky rabbit foot or a special picture - i carry around my old (washed) weave ... :lachen:) the rest of my hair is natural, im working on my temples (which have always been thin);

but yes, i am willing to and committed to doing intensive treatments. so any suggestions will help.

do any of you know about dr. miracle's temple and nape gro balm? just bought it.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!! HUGS

You could massage your scalp nightly with bhringraj oil or a more traditional mixture of rosemary, cedarwood, peppermint and lavender in a jojoba and coconut oil base to help stimulate growth in that region. If you wear textured hair styles it might help to give the appearance of fuller hair as well. HTH

~DR

ETA: Biotin is a great supplement to try to help with your thinning situation. I suggest trying this supplement after you do your research/check with your doctor of course. Most people have great results with it. It was recommended to me by my derm(5k mcg).

I second the scalp massages. I found these to be effective especially when doing them with oils. I take the Densitive supplements and I also take a biotin supplement. I think the two work well together.

really ? densitive works? bc the hairdresser who cuts my hair reccomended it today - does it actually work??? i usually trust kerastase products bc they are really good. how much biotin do u take?

Im a 4a with very dry / coarse hair. i dont have any scalp damage, it didnt burn at all when she relaxed me with the relaxer for coarse/ resistant hair; no the tracks are not showing - its just really really flat and really thin looking. (i always wore a full head of weave with a closure with braids under the weave so thats where im coming from -security blanket - some people carry aroud a lucky rabbit foot or a special picture - i carry around my old (washed) weave ... :lachen:) the rest of my hair is natural, im working on my temples (which have always been thin);

but yes, i am willing to and committed to doing intensive treatments. so any suggestions will help.

do any of you know about dr. miracle's temple and nape gro balm? just bought it.

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!! HUGS

Everyone else has given you some great advice. But just for a quick perspective, if you've had a full weave for so long your view of hair might be skewed. You're just used to seeing a lot more hair, so your hair might not be as thin as you think. Also, if the rest of your hair is natural except for the top portion, it will look much thinner in comparison to the natural hair.

I know that when I stretch my relaxers for an extended amount of time, I feel bald with a fresh touch-up, but I didn't lose any hair during the process. The hair is just laying differently.

What length is your hair? I think that it is important to get familiar with your hair and figure out why it's thinning. If your hair was damaged from the weave and then your stylist put a relaxer on top of that then they are not focusing on the health of your hair, their just trying to make you look presentable. There is no miracle cure to instantly help the situation it will take time and patience to nurse both your crown and edges back to health. I would suggest a fall or wig while you give your hair a break. While your wearing the wig you can use that time to get used to caring for your hair and soaking up all of the valuable info that is here. It will get better with a little TLC. HTH

thanks for some hope :) yea after i saw how the top of my hair was i was too afraid to relax the rest of it so the remaining portion is weaved :ohwell: im even afraid to touch my hair ... this is not normal yo

Don't be afraid of your hair. Embrace what you have and be proud of it. I love my mop even though I have fried and dyed it!

Everyone else has given you some great advice. But just for a quick perspective, if you've had a full weave for so long your view of hair might be skewed. You're just used to seeing a lot more hair, so your hair might not be as thin as you think. Also, if the rest of your hair is natural except for the top portion, it will look much thinner in comparison to the natural hair.

I know that when I stretch my relaxers for an extended amount of time, I feel bald with a fresh touch-up, but I didn't lose any hair during the process. The hair is just laying differently.

Good point. This happened to me after i quit braids and weaves cold turkey. I've been clean from them for 2 years now!

Now, if I get one, they feel like TOO MUCH hair. Some of is is an illusion most definitely.

ITA with all of the ladies' comments.

Wearing a half weave, phony pony, or even a wig will help you get in touch with your hair issues, pamper the sensitive areas (by moisturizing, sealing, and, baggying), and hide your hair from your co-workers until you are confident to wear your hair out again (they are so very mean).
Believe me, my sensitive hair area is the same as yours and with TLC, it is coming along. PM me if you have any questions! :yep:

((((((HUGS))))

I know how it feels to be teased about your hair. Those women are your job are so immature.

I agree with what everyone else said. Make sure you take care of your insides as well. Drink lots of water and eat a balanced diet. lots of fruits, veggies, and protein. This will encourage healthy hair growth and thicker hair.

HTH!!!

NO DIRECT HEAT
No relaxer until the 6th week AT LEAST.

I would not maipulate the hair too much, either.

Sorry about the teasing... but just ignore it... whatever goes around comes around.

I am a newbie here and I have not posted any pics yet.. I will soon. But I can tell you that I have been a braids and weave person for so long. And my hair is thin and uneven and my edges are shot to hell.
I am also not confident at all about wearing my hair out but the ladies here are giving me some great advice.

Let's quit the weaves and braids for a while and learn to take care of our hair. I think its something we can both not ever regret.

Good luck!

I'm so sorry to hear this. I really feel for you. I had a bad experience with weave, both braids and a sew in. Both thinned my hair really bad and I didn't think I'd ever get thicker hair. But in time, it came. I babied the heck outta my hair... I mean, no direct heat, took my Biotin, oil rinsed with castor oil and only wore protective styles. (half wigs were my choice). In a months time, my hair was alot thicker...as you can see in my siggy. By 3 months time, my hair is thicker than it was ever before the weave...

See:
http://www.thesongbirdshair.blogspot.com/

Check the blog photos, you'll see what I mean.

girl take it from a braids addict of 4 yrs who is currently in rehab :lachen: shoot, i even had to cut my hair xmas of 2005 cause my hair had thinned out and i also got a bone straight relaxer my hair was a mess i cut all the relaxed bits off and you would have thought that would have been a wake up call but i carried on with braids sacrifising length thickness and my edges for braids i oughta slap myself!! i finally woke up and smelled the coffee in november when i joined this site and it is exactly a month today being braid free and in my journey of hair care, its hard a few days ago actually i was ready to give up lol but i just focused on something else that ALWAYS helps. I suggest you lose the weave if you cant go cold turkey i suggest you take the advice of the other ladies and get a wig and get to know your hair, you wont regret it.

oh and ignore all those ignorant heffas!.:perplexed

Thank you all sooo much :) i really really really appreciate you all giving me support :) i will definately look into the lace front etc as options for getting my edges back, and incorporate the other healthy hair care maintenance regimes into my lifestyle. once again a big thank you and hugs to everyone :) God bless!

Yes I would say lace front, no manipulation, and lots of love and supplements.

Get to know your hair all over again.

would a lace front help me grow out my temples? im trying to avoid any pressure or pulling down on my edges by the heavy wefts sewn onto my braids. any suggestions? im actually considering this method in order to get my edges back then trying everything i possibly can in order to get a healthy head of hair.

Back