Help: Hair for Twist?

SavannahNatural

So I bought some hair a few months ago with the hopes of doing some twists eventually. I did my own twist install using marley hair and I hated the way the hair looked so ratty on the ends without curling it. I thought this hair would be my greatest solution.

However, I gave it a try on a small piece of hair and the fact that the hair is so twisted already makes the outcome not so great...

I'm thinking I either have to use smaller sections of my own hair or ???? I don't know.

Has anyone ever used this hair for a braid/twist install?

Here's a link of what the hair looks like.

Janet Collection Afro Twist Hair

Can someone post a pic of an install. This hair is so cork-screwy I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm thinking it was great in the mid 90's where maybe you would've done an install similar to micro braids where you just braid the first few inches of hair and let the rest hang, ugh! That is not what I'm going for!

I wish I could help, but I think you tagged me for nuthin. I have no idea about this stuff. But I hope someone gives you good advice.

Did you try on a smaller section of hair? what happened?

@blcbuty@,
I have used a similar type of hair for my twist and it came out very nicely! The cork-screwiness (just invented a new word) made my twists look nice and plump. All you do is pull and separate the hair into pieces and work from there.

Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjYeio39Ibo&feature=related

This is a picture of my install. The hair I used was corkscrewy too, or more like an old school phone cord.
Springtwists2-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Whimsy said:
I wish I could help, but I think you tagged me for nuthin. I have no idea about this stuff. But I hope someone gives you good advice.

Did you try on a smaller section of hair? what happened?

Thanks Whimsy for responding anyway. I haven't tried it yet on a smaller section of hair. But I'm going to!

@blcbuty@ - I used Janet, I think 20". You just need to be sure you twist it together in the right direction. If it easily unwinds when you finish the twist, you twisted in the wrong direction. I figured this out the hard way. Pic here is a pic of my install

image-463532504.jpg

Last edited:
I did use smaller sections than I normally do when using marley braid. For the most part I kept the Janet strand intact, but sometimes I did pull a little hair from the strand.

This hair is easy to work with, once you get the twisting right. Again if it unravels as soon as you finish, re-do and twist in the opposite direction.

To seal my ends, I braided a few twists, about 8 in a bunch throughout my head, and dipped in hot water. The pic I posted was before I dipped.

image-1606998883.jpg

I stretched the hair a bit to get a little more length.

Last edited:
@blcbuty@ - I used Janet, I think 20". You just need to be sure you twist it together in the right direction. If it easily unwinds when you finish the twist, you twisted in the wrong direction. I figured this out the hard way. Pic here is a pic of my install

I think my test braid/twist I did just that, twisted in the wrong direction, and although it didn't unravel, the section where my hair was combined was quite loose.

Thank you for responding now on to more questions:

Did you make the strands uneven like you would when doing regular box braid extensions?

Was your hair stretched/blow dried when you did your install?

Did you soak the hair first like suggested on the African braiding site? To remove the alkaline, I believe. I'm curious if the soaking would loosen the cork screw of the hair.

delitefulmane, please chime in as well

TIA

Last edited:
I think my test braid/twist I did just that, twisted in the wrong direction, and although it didn't unravel, the section where my hair was combined was quite loose.

Did you make the strands uneven like you would when doing regular box braid extensions?

Was your hair stretched/blow dried when you did your install?

Did you soak the hair first like suggested on the African braiding site? To remove the alkaline, I believe. I'm curious if the soaking would loosen the cork screw of the hair.

TIA

@blcbuty@ - yes I made the hair a little uneven, but not much.

My hair was stretched. I had about 8 flat twists, to stretch after I washed, DC.

I did not soak the hair. Not particular reason, I just don't always do this step. Soaking should not change the texture of the hair. In fact I do not leave it cork screw, I run my finger thru it to loosen the curl, then twist.

My suggestion, if you haven't already done so, is to watch YouTube tutorials.

@blcbuty@ - yes I made the hair a little uneven, but not much.

My hair was stretched. I had about 8 flat twists, to stretch after I washed, DC.

I did not soak the hair. Not particular reason, I just don't always do this step. Soaking should not change the texture of the hair. In fact I do not leave it cork screw, I run my finger thru it to loosen the curl, then twist.

My suggestion, if you haven't already done so, is to watch YouTube tutorials.

Thank you!

I can do an install, I've done a few on my own hair, it's just this particular hair I'm not sure about because of the pattern. I'm going to try again at some point tonight and see if it makes me happy enough to continue, else it will be on to mini braids!

Thanks again!

I had kinky twists done with Janet Afro Kinky bulk 24" hair and with Marley hair.

I prefer the Marley hair, which the braider brushed out prior to installing to make it smooth. She curled the ends with perm rods and hot water.

I have a video of the Janet afro hair install. http://youtu.be/XYXcsarYuoo
I did soak the hair prior to the install but the braider ran out of hair so the last section (less than 10 twists) was not soaked.

The Marley hair install (different braider) was Senagalese twists.
Photos are on my blog: http://goingnaturaltransitionington...tyles/senegalese-twists-protective-hairstyle/

Thank you!

I can do an install, I've done a few on my own hair, it's just this particular hair I'm not sure about because of the pattern. I'm going to try again at some point tonight and see if it makes me happy enough to continue, else it will be on to mini braids!

Thanks again!

I use YouTube when working with different hair, just to see techniques. It's helpful since there are so many types hair, and you can see the technique used for it.

Golden75 said:
I use YouTube when working with different hair, just to see techniques. It's helpful since there are so many types hair, and you can see the technique used for it.

I've searched, not extensively, but I did and I'm not seeing a whole lot of variation. I think I'm going to try and stretch this hair out, like you did, so it's not as awkward looking. I really appreciate your help! :yup:

@blcbuty@ said:
I've searched, not extensively, but I did and I'm not seeing a whole lot of variation. I think I'm going to try and stretch this hair out, like you did, so it's not as awkward looking. I really appreciate your help! :yup:

@@blkbuty@ - yeah there was only a few on Janet. But loosening the curl should help. Good luck!

delitefulmane did you double the pre-sectioned strands or leave the m as they were?

Also, what was the length of the hair you used?
TIA

My apologies for my late response. Just logged back in here. Let's see, I did not double the hair. I just used it as it came. The hair I used stretched out long enough to extend past the length of my hair (almost bsl). I am not sure of the length of the hair.

Did you make the strands uneven like you would when doing regular box braid extensions? see answer above

Was your hair stretched/blow dried when you did your install? My hair was somewhat stretched. After I washed it, I separated it into sections.

Did you soak the hair first like suggested on the African braiding site? To remove the alkaline, I believe. I'm curious if the soaking would loosen the cork screw of the hair. :look: Are we really supposed to do this? I didn't.

TIA

I hope this helps @blcbuty@. If you have more questions, I don't mind answers more questions, if I can help. :grin:

Back