Help!Gel suggestions for natural hair!

kiara8255

I'm seven months post relaxer. I took out my two strand twists (w/extensions) this past weekend. Since then I've been wearing my hair up in a phonypony afro puff. I was at work today and happened to pass by a mirror. I almost screamed when I saw my hair! :eek: The hair that was suppossed to be gelled down was sticking out all over the lower portion of my puff. I'm surprised my poor little students weren't traumatized by their crazy looking teacher today. This morning I used the "cheap brown" gel from the beauty supply store which I know probably isn't healthy for my hair.

Please, please, please give me some suggestions for gel that will tame natural hair (and that is not so drying). What do I need to do to keep my hair down? :confused: I'm new at this...please help. Thanks!

I use ampro pro style clear ice gel from any BSS. It has no alcohol in it, its not greasy, and no flakes. I mix my gel with mango butter, and put a silk scarf on my head for 5-10 mintues. My hair is still soft but the frizz lays down.

I like elasta's Mango butter, not a gel but it's very moisturizing and works like a pomade, it really holds down my NG, provides moisture and shine, I'm also 6+ months post relaxer.

I also like elasta's glaze--it's a clear pomade or Aura humectant pomade which is also clear these products really holds down my thick type 4 NG.

I'm 10 months post relaxer and this is what I do.

1. Put on a little Elasta QP Mango Butter to moisturize.
2.Put on a little Fantasia Frizz Buster Straightening Gel. This gel is great. It doesn't dry out the hair or leave it feeling nasty and greasy.
3. Put on a silk scarf which isn't taken off until I leave the house. That usually isn't until 20 0r 25 minutes later.

My hair stays down all day and the definition is amazing. Waves galore!

kiara8255 said:
I'm seven months post relaxer. I took out my two strand twists (w/extensions) this past weekend. Since then I've been wearing my hair up in a phonypony afro puff. I was at work today and happened to pass by a mirror. I almost screamed when I saw my hair! :eek: The hair that was suppossed to be gelled down was sticking out all over the lower portion of my puff. I'm surprised my poor little students weren't traumatized by their crazy looking teacher today. This morning I used the "cheap brown" gel from the beauty supply store which I know probably isn't healthy for my hair.

Please, please, please give me some suggestions for gel that will tame natural hair (and that is not so drying). What do I need to do to keep my hair down? :confused: I'm new at this...please help. Thanks!

Girl , I know that story about the crazy hair in the mirror all too well. I like fantasia styling gel .No flakes and it holds my hair down. Next time I will try it with the scarf. Maybe I won't need as much product.

My tried and true favorites b/c I always come back to them: Fantasia Frizz Buster Straightening Gel and Fantasia IC Gel with Sparklites (nice shine!). My new fav is S Curl Texturizing Gel

I really like Glaze by Elasta QP It makes my hair feel very soft, it holds the hair down great, and as an added bonus, it really defines my hair giving it a pretty curl/wave pattern (and I'm talking some seriously nappy hair here). Here are the ingredients in case your an ingredient-conscious person: water, isoceteth-20, mineral oil, glycerin, oleth-2, propylene glycol, panthenol. methylparaben, propylparaben, imidazolidinyl urea, fragrance.

I have to say that of all of those ingredients, I only know what 5 of them are. I don't even care that it has mineral oil in it.

Last edited:
I am now a fan of Vonte's Silk Effects. I used it to braid my daughter's 4a/b cottony hair. It truly feels like a gel and a pomade in one, does not harden, and does not flake. Her hair felt a bit "wet" when I applied it and it braided very smoothly and stayed looking fairly good for over 3 weeks. I also used it on my natural hair (11 weeks post relaxer with a good bit of new growth). My new growth feels very soft and smooth. I will definitely try it again when I get the money. The website is Vonte.

Back