Help! Burnt smell after flat ironing

Nikki4ny

I use the Sedu with the temp set on about 375 degrees. My hair always has a faint burnt smell when I'm done and it smells like that all day. When I go to the salon and have it done it doesn't smell that way and I know the temp they use is higher than what I'm using at home...I'm wondering if it's the Sedu. Anyone else have this problem??

I shampoo, deep condition, put a little Sabino Moisture Block then blow dry and flat iron. I take my Sabino to the salon with me so I don't think it's that.

I'm about ready to toss the Sedu and try something else.

That's a scary thought..hope that's not it. I put it in 4 sections and apply the moisture block to each section and brush it through.

I heard that one of the reasons for the burnt smell is that there is a light layer of residue on the iron.

It was recommended to wipe it clean with some rubbing alcohol. I guess it's worth a shot!

How long have you had your Sedu? I recently got a new one and I don't recall it having a burnt smell but I do remember it with the Chi iron (no temperature dial) and returned it to the store. Do you smell it when you plug it in or only after you've used it on your hair? You don't want to take a chance with the burnt smell actually coming from your hair so after you clean the plates I would highly recommend turning the temperature down. I'm relaxed and I use my sedu on 280 and swipe 2+ times to get the straightness I desire. I'll set it on 300-320 if I'm in a hurry but I read in Akbari's book that 300 is where the hair strand starts to expand from the heat which can lead to damage. I know you are natural and can probably stand higher heat but please try a lower temperature and small/thin sections of hair, and swipe more than once if needed. Remember not to let the flat iron linger on your hair and pay close attention if you start seeing short hairs breaking off. Heat damage isn't noticeable until its too late and even though I returned the Chi, I can tell my hair has changed. Please please please be careful.

Last edited:
Do you use the same shampoo & conditioner that the salon uses?

In my experience, the burnt smell is usually from a product.
Do you wash all of the conditioner out of your hair?

Do you use the flat iron the same amount of time in your hair and the same pressure,
you are at a different angle than the hairdresser is and may be letting the iron remane in contact with the hair.

omg i have this same EXACT problem, which is why i dont straighten my hair at home.

i was told it was because of the residue on the flat iron. so this last time i thoroughly cleaned it with alcohol prior to use.

i was told i was using a temp too high and it was burning my hair. before i had a chi (no temp control) so i went and bought a sedu and flat ironed on 280, still smelled like burned hair.

then i was told it could be because i put alot of products on my hair. this last time i washed, deep conditioned, added a teeny bit of regular conditioner as my leave in, sabino moisture block and flat ironed, stank like burnt hair

i was also told it was because i didn't use a heat protectant, i used sabino moisture block, and make sure my hair was well covered (same straightening session as prior statement).

man my entire bathroom smelled like burnt hair. then when i was driving home the next day my hair is just a blowing in the wind and all i can smell is burnt hair. omg wtf am i doing wrong?

i know its something im doing because at the beauty shop they use chis and my hair never smells burned.

Last edited:
Thanks Ladies!

Mookshair, I think I rinse it really well because I always rinse in the shower while detangling, but I will spend a few more minutes rinsing than usual just to be sure..

And MissRissa, I don't know what the heck is going on... I have the same awful burnt smell when I'm in the car and I make a turn, I can smell the stink all around me.

I'm not sure about the angle. I think I'm pretty consistant with keeping the iron moving and not letting it stay in one place too long but then again maybe I'm not because something is causing the smell and I'm using the same exact products the salon uses. I'm going to try the tips here and if all else fails I will get a different iron. I don't remember having burnt smelling hair back in the day when I used a plain old cheap gold n hot, gold toned flat iron.

Wish me luck

Back