Helmut Hair

Tonya

Hello all,
I was posting on here a few months backk complaining about thin hair. Well I got a deep trim and went back to a no lye perm and my hair is BIG....when I do my roller sets...it si so thick it looks like I have on a helmet /images/graemlins/nuts.gif
So recently I got the Elasta QP mango butter adn it helps a bit but my hair even though it is really straight there is just so darn much of it...it woudl be pretty if i had my length but at shoulder length it just looks like a helmet /images/graemlins/cry3.gifso is there any hope for my big hair?
And I ahve the nerve to be taking bcomplex for thickness....

I'm not so sure that its bad to have that helmet. I would love a helmet myself!
However, to try to answer your question, when I first started doing the wash and sets (using no-lye relaxers) I had the same helmet problem. After several deep conditioners (heavy deep conditioners) the helmet eventually went away. At that time I used alot of cholesterol to add weight to the hair because I'm not big on hair grease. I wrapped and continue to wrap my hair every night (even when it'e dirty). I used heavier leave-ins. Salerm 21 leave in may help because its a cream leave-in so its a bit more moisturizing. So to sum it up, I used moisturizing shamps., cholesterol and cream leave-ins (the ones that don't leave a film, i.e.Salerm, Biolage conditioning shamp, etc.)

The only problem is that when the helmet goes away...you miss it!

Out of curiosity, why did you go back to using no-lye relaxers?

Lol...Tonya I had the same problem when I did my first roller set. I'm so used to doing sets with the flexi-rods that when i did it with the magnetic rollers I was kind of clumsy with the rollers. Well, when I took them out my hair looked I had a helmet on too. Lol..I had to use a hairband to keep that stuff down. I won't be trying anymore of those anytime soon, I think I'll just stick with the flexi-rods and go with the curly look. Good luck to you on your next roller set though. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes girl I know what you mean about the "helmut" look. I hated it so after years of looking that way, I started wrapping my hair and then flattening it. Now, I don't have that helmut look anymore. I think if you have thick hair, you'll get that helmut look almost always when you roll
it /images/graemlins/frown.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I went back to No lye becuase when I used Lye perms my hair was not broken down at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Tonya, could it have been the strength of the relaxer that was causing this? /images/graemlins/look.gif

HI PEEBLES!
I orignally thought this was the problem so I switched from Mild to regular and I got the same results. My hair is fine and wavy so I knwo I did not need the super so I just came to the conclusion that Lye was not good for my hair.
I am back with no lye nad my hair is still thick and shiny so ...so far so good. We will just see what happens. I did not know I had this much hair my damaged thinned out ends were making me complain o0f thin hair...now that I have cut them off I see just how much hair I do have. I started back on my vitamins and i am staying outnof my hair as much as possible so hopefully I will get my length back soon.

Hi Tonya! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I think I see what happened. I just switched to lye relaxers in november. One thing I read and learned through experience is that the lye relaxer will not straighten hair previously relaxed with a no-lye relaxer. Apparently the no-lye relaxer locks in any curl pattern not straightened enough. Once that happens, the no-lye will always look frizzy. You will have to slowly trim that part of the hair as it grows out. I'm going through this right now. But the good thing is that the growth on my hair is nice and you can see the difference between the two relaxers.

If the no-lye is working for you, great! /images/graemlins/smile.gif You know what you have to do minimize dryness and breakage. Many use a no-lye with no problems, and you appear to like it too. As long as you're happy with it and it's working for you, that's what counts! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Pebbles!
I like it now but I just got a touch up with it last week so we will see how it goes. If this does not work out for me then I am just gonna go back to a press. My hair grows faster and much healthier in it's natural state.
Yeah I did alot of research on the lye eprms as well. When I got it the firast time. I only applied it to my new growth I had abotu 2 inches of it...adn it did nothing whatsoever. that was with Elucence Gentle so I figured it was too mild ofr my hair...then I had the Motions oil Moisturizer in Mild and in Rergular and they both just made my wavy hair even wavier...finally I went to a stylist and had Lady Velvet applied profesionally and she put it on my entire head rooot to end and my hair was STIL WAVY she said i have naturally curl hair but if i ma gonna put chemicals in my hair I want to see results so....I just decided to go back to what I had been using Designer Touch No Lye...and for the first time in ages I had striaght hair after my touch up and it was still thick as ever. My hair is alot thicker at the top than the bottom becuase I still have a little color on the ends but once it grows out I am sure my hair will be what I want it to be. On my lunch I am going over to the mall to pick up some more Ultrnorish hair vitamins to help boost my hair growth.

Back