hello im new here and i'd like some help with hair products!!

babyciaz

hey
Could you please tell me which hair products are good for my hair.
such as deep conditioner, shampoo, oils, proteins, and some other stuff.
My hair :
dry
damaged
breaks everytime i touch it and comb it
thick
not healthy
needs alot of protein

Thanks !!

Hi!
For moisturizing deep conditioning, I like Pantene Breakage Defense Mask (it comes in a little jar). For protein deep conditioning, I like Motions CPR (also comes in a jar).

when it comes to shampoo's you have to check the ingredients. usually the ones that contain sulphate are not good for the hair because they dry our hair out. for deep conditioning i use neutrogena triple moisture deep conditioner , oils i use coconut oils to seal my ends which i usually keep in a bun to protect my ends from splitting. our hair is very fragile so combing it to much can cause breakage especially if you comb your hair when it is dry. I only comb my hair with a wide tooth comb when i have conditioner in it and im detangling. never comb your hair when it is dry use your fingers..

It sounds as if you need a strong protein treatment like Aphogee two step. That should hopeful stop the breakage dead in it's tracks. Following this I think you need weekly DC treatments. A consistent approach will end the breakage and your hair should start to thrive.

First of all, WELCOME!!!!! You have a whole other thread dedicated to welcoming you and it's nice to see you posting. Before recommending anything it would be helpful to know if you are relaxed or natural.

make sure not to use TOO much protein...that's just as bad. my suggestion would be to use a protein-based conditioner and then follow it up with a moisturizing one. just try this for a month and see if you see a difference:

wash day (1x/wk): shampoo, deep condition for 30-45 minutes, moisturize and seal
every day, moisturize and seal.

My favorite shampoos are Creme of Nature (green label) and Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe Shampoo.My favorite deep conditioners are Pantene Relaxed and Natural Deep Conditioning Mask and ORS Replenishing Conditioner.If I need a little protein i'll use the Aphogee Reconstructor.Every six or as needed I will use a hardcore protein like Aphogee Two Step.My favorite oils are Castor Oil and Jojoba Oil.During the week, I will use my moisturizer Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Lotion and seal in the moisture with one of the oils.

when it comes to shampoo's you have to check the ingredients. usually the ones that contain sulphate are not good for the hair because they dry our hair out. for deep conditioning i use neutrogena triple moisture deep conditioner , oils i use coconut oils to seal my ends which i usually keep in a bun to protect my ends from splitting. our hair is very fragile so combing it to much can cause breakage especially if you comb your hair when it is dry. I only comb my hair with a wide tooth comb when i have conditioner in it and im detangling. never comb your hair when it is dry use your fingers..

That is not always true. Not for all of us. My hair LOVES sulfates, I can comb my hair without it breaking or anything. Combing with fingers doesn't work for me, I need a comb.

Anyway, Babyciaz it sounds like you need moisture. Kenra mc or Keracare moisturizing conditioners may help you with what sounds like dryness.

Here's a recipe I used when I was relaxed. It worked well for me. My hair wasn't damaged but it did feel better. Maybe this could still help you. Just a guide.

My Old Regimen
I deep condition twice a week. I found the recipe that is claimed to be for the deep conditioner from Cathy Howse's first book on amazon. Well at least it's how the person remembers it. So that's what I use and it's not bad at all. I also do the baggie method which works well.

Recipe:
1 32 oz. bottle of protein conditioner (I use 2 Profectiv mega growth Deep Strengthening GROWTH CONDITIONER - 15oz jars
6 oz coconut oil (you must liquify this in the microwave)
3 oz olive oil
.5-1 oz (personal preference) peppermint oil (must be real essential oil) You don't have to use the essential oil if you don't have any
Shampoo with: Nexxus Therappe luxury moisturizing shampoo
Nutrine garlic shampoo (helps stop hair breakage)
Condition with: Nutrine garlic conditioner

Oh yea and WELCOME :)

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum...

Here are my recommendations because that's mostly what I use and the products are not very expensive.

Pre-shampoo: Cheap conditioner and oil (I use wheat germ oil which contains ceramides) The smell is horrible but the results are fabulous.
Shampoo: Creme of nature for your type of hair or any sulfate-free hydrating or detangling shampoo.
Condition: Aphoogee 2 min reconstructor or if your hair is really breaking Aphogee 2 steps protein leave-in.
Deep condition: very important to deep condition with a moisturizing deep conditioner after any protein treatment...I use Joico Moisture Recovery, Lekair Cholesterol or Redken Smooth Down butter treat some times

Leave-in: I use Rusk Smoother Leave-in, which is quite hard to find but any great moisturizing Leave-in such Neutrogena Triple Moisture leave-in is fine.

I would recommend rollerset for you and pincurls or wrap at night

Moisturizer: A drop or two ORS Olive Oil daily or Carrot oil (if you can stand the smell)

Hope that helps :)

The problem here is some of the advice is going to conflict as we all have varying opinions and views on what is best for our hair. I hope it won't be too overwhelming.

When you say your hair is thick do you mean the individual hair strands, or the collective density?
You're going to need a good moisturizer too.
My hair is fine, and I'm currently transitioning to natural...
-Shampoo: Cream of Nature green bottle (if you can still find the old version), -ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo
-Deep conditioner: Silicone mix, Neutrogena Daily Deep conditioner
-Proteins: ORS Hair Mayo, Nexxus Emergence
-Oils: Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Conditioner washing, which is washing the hair with conditioner instead of shampoo, helps keep my dry hair moisturized.

I wash with shampoo once a week and oils are my friend. olive, coconut, avocado, grapeseed..

You may need to experiment before you find your own regimen.

:)

Hi, I'm new to the board too! As a newbie, I think it's very tempting to dive into your pockets and start buying whatever product is being talked about that week. Don't do it. :nono: Don't waste your money buying heaps and heaps of new stuff. This is what I recommend...

1. Know what ingredients are good for hair health and which ones aren't so good. Look through the things u have and you may find out that you already own some great stuff. :yep:

2. Next I would pick up some extra items at a grocery store (honey, coconut oil, olive oil, yogurt, eggs). You may already have them in the kitchen, if you don't and it doesn't work for your hair, you can always eat them. Use the search bar on the website to find recipes and uses for natural ingredients.

3. Set a limit for how much you want to spend on new products. I would probably buy 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 dc and 1 protein trmt at the most. If something in your current stash isn't working, replace it. I know the shampoo I used before finding the boards was really drying out my hair, i thought that was normal. now, i've found a good protein shampoo that doesn't dry out or tangle my hair. (sunsilk tlc hydra)

4. I really don't think products matter all that much. Hair will grow out of your hair no matter what you put on it. The key to hair retention is protecting your ends. I saw your YT vid and I would start with a good trim, just to get rid of split ends. then try to keep your hair up in a ponytail or bun so the ends aren't rubbing against stuff.

5. And lastly, some of the ppl on this board are way too obsessed with hair. I think its so funny when someone says they have a "simple" regimen and the details go on for 1/2 a page. you know your hair best. When it's dirty, wash it. when its dry, moisturize it. you get the picture.

It's really great that at a young age you care about your hair enough to make videos and take care of it the best way you know how. Good Luck!!! :grin:

Hey there BabyCiaz.
Well you should start with deep conditioning..ORS(organic root stimulatr) Hair Mayo You mix with 2 eggs for severly damaged hair.And do this once a week.
For Oiling/Greasing..You should start on a product that you need to protect from shedding and dryness Like the ORS CARROT OIL and Olive Oil they help relly good with shedding and dryness..But for growth i used to use WGHO(Wild hair growth oil) that really helped me with dryness it moisted my hair.For growing back your edges stop using GEL! that reuins your hair line..For the growing your edges..I would use Groganics Gro-N-Wild grease really works!! but i really hoped i helped :)

The problem here is some of the advice is going to conflict as we all have varying opinions and views on what is best for our hair. I hope it won't be too overwhelming.

ITA with this. You really have to listen to your hair & see what's best for you in terms of products and a regimen.

The best advice that I can give you is to keep it simple. Sometimes, less really is more.

Also, when you find a product that works--stick with it. Often times, the greatest damage to the hair comes from always trying something new.

Hi, I'm new to the board too! As a newbie, I think it's very tempting to dive into your pockets and start buying whatever product is being talked about that week. Don't do it. :nono: Don't waste your money buying heaps and heaps of new stuff. This is what I recommend...

1. Know what ingredients are good for hair health and which ones aren't so good. Look through the things u have and you may find out that you already own some great stuff. :yep:

2. Next I would pick up some extra items at a grocery store (honey, coconut oil, olive oil, yogurt, eggs). You may already have them in the kitchen, if you don't and it doesn't work for your hair, you can always eat them. Use the search bar on the website to find recipes and uses for natural ingredients.

3. Set a limit for how much you want to spend on new products. I would probably buy 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 dc and 1 protein trmt at the most. If something in your current stash isn't working, replace it. I know the shampoo I used before finding the boards was really drying out my hair, i thought that was normal. now, i've found a good protein shampoo that doesn't dry out or tangle my hair. (sunsilk tlc hydra)

4. I really don't think products matter all that much. Hair will grow out of your hair no matter what you put on it. The key to hair retention is protecting your ends. I saw your YT vid and I would start with a good trim, just to get rid of split ends. then try to keep your hair up in a ponytail or bun so the ends aren't rubbing against stuff.

5. And lastly, some of the ppl on this board are way too obsessed with hair. I think its so funny when someone says they have a "simple" regimen and the details go on for 1/2 a page. you know your hair best. When it's dirty, wash it. when its dry, moisturize it. you get the picture.

It's really great that at a young age you care about your hair enough to make videos and take care of it the best way you know how. Good Luck!!! :grin:

This is really good advice. I know in the six or seven months since I've been here, I've spent a LOT of money on new products just because they were being talked about on this board. While I would advise against this financially and morally :giggle:, even if you do end up being a product junkie it won't be the worst thing in the world because eventually you will find a set of products (and techniques!) that really works for your hair. A good way to go about saving a lot of money if you want to try new products though is to check out people's fotkis with hair that is similar to yours and find out what products they all seem to like. This will increase your chances of finding quality products sooner. But as Manter said, you may find that you already have some good stuff lying around and you just need to use it in a different way to get great results! :yep: Good luck!

make sure not to use TOO much protein...that's just as bad. my suggestion would be to use a protein-based conditioner and then follow it up with a moisturizing one. just try this for a month and see if you see a difference:

wash day (1x/wk): shampoo, deep condition for 30-45 minutes, moisturize and seal
every day, moisturize and seal.

i second that. i like motions silk protein conditioner. using that and a sulfate free shampoo really helped with my breakage.

Welcome to the forum, heres some stuff I use.

Shampoo-Motions ,Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special,So Sexy by Victoria Secret whenever I want to,lol.

My shampoo mix of: Dr Bronner pepermint soap,Jojoba Oil,Coconut Oil,Vitamin E oil,and purified water.

Conditioners: Lots of Motions stuff, Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special, So Sexy sometimes, Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil stuff,V05 Moisture Milk for co washes and pre poos.

Leave In Conditioners: Aphogee Leave In Pro Vitamin, and Aphogee Keratin Green Tea Restructurizer

Moisturizers: Sometimes these; Organic Root Salon Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion,Neutrogena Triple Moisture,Earbal Essence Long Term Relationship, Elasta Mango Butter...

And these mixtures:

Shea Butter, with some oils like coconut oil,vitamin e oil,jojoba oil,rosemary oil,etc

or

Rose Water,Aloe Vera Juice,and oils in a spray bottle

Oils: coconut oil,olive oil,vitamin e oil,jojoba oil,jamaican black castor oil,rosemary oil,pepermint oil,lavender oil,amla oil,etc

You should start by co-washing with a cheap conditioner. Also, here's my regimen:

Shampoo: GVP Redken Amino Pon Shampoo (all GVP/Generic products at Sally's Beauty Supply.

Conditioner: Nexxus Humectress (GVP)

Deep Conditioner: Motions Silk Protein Conditioner

Leave-In: Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch

Protein (I do one twice a month, but it depends on your hair): one egg, one cup of mayo, and tbsp. of olive oil. Cover w/plastic cap and let it sit for about 30 min. Rinse with cold water and deep condition. Best protein treatment for me so far!!

Then I ALWAYS air dry. Try to limit the amount of heat applied to your hair, moisturize and cover hair w/a scarf every night. A lot of ladies on here also bun while attempting to improve the health of our hair...hope we can help....good luck!!!

i second that. i like motions silk protein conditioner. using that and a sulfate free shampoo really helped with my breakage.

I have a friend who used a sulfate-free shampoo called "Royal Roots." Her hair came out in clumps, and is still coming out. Anybody know anything about this product?

It's noticeably thinner.

Also, what strength relaxer do you use? If it's super you might want to switch to regular. If it's no-lye, you might want to switch to lye. And you might consider texlaxing, which is when you relax your hair but not completely straight. Also, how often do you relax?

I agree with one of the other posters - all of this info can be overwhelming. The key is to get to know your hair. You might consider starting a hair journal, whether it's on-line or at home (mine is at home), some place where you can track your successes and failures.

Here's to hoping you have mostly successes.:yep:

Welcome to the Board!

Back