HEEELLLP!! ZERO "Black" Salons in this town (Literally!)

TeeKay21

Hi ladies. I know this belongs in the salon section but this is a hair emergency.

I live in Yuma, Az and there are NO black salons here. I've searched and called and asked everywhere. All the black girls/ladies I see get thier hair done at someone else's house or when they travel to Phoenix, Tuscon, Cali, etc.

I know it's hard to believe, but in this town (which is not as small as you would think) there are mostly hispanic and white people. But this is crazy! The census said there are supposed to be 2,000 black folks here and NONE of them go to the salon I guess!

So if anyone has any good salons in Phoenix, Tuscon, or anywhere near Yuma please help! I can't strech no more. I was hoping to get it done this weekend (saturday).

Thanks!!

Have you tried one of those chain salons like Cost Cutters, Hair Cuttery, JcPenney's, etc? Many of these salons started out as predominately white but now at least in my area they tend to hire many black stylist that do more than one hair type.

scoobygirl said:
Have you tried one of those chain salons like Cost Cutters, Hair Cuttery, JcPenney's, etc? Many of these salons started out as predominately white but now at least in my area they tend to hire many black stylist that do more than one hair type.

Yes. I went to Penny's but the girl that does "ethnic" hair only works unitl 5 p.m. and I don't get off until 5. She doesn't work weekends either (which I usually have to work weekends anyway, so it wouldn't matter).

ETA: The others don't have anyone that does "our" hair that I trust. I went to one of the Hispanic ladies that claimed to do black hair and I asked for a cut and she said "I'm not good at cutting and styling black hair.":ohwell:

She also wanted to use a fine toothed comb and really heavy products. I am sick of searching. I want to go somewhere where they are at least familiar enough with it to follow my directions and do a decent job.

Last edited:
I know!!! I have been seriously considering it. If it wasn't for the fact that I will get stationed somewhere else in abt two years I would probably do more than just think about it.

TeeKay21 said:
I know!!! I have been seriously considering it. If it wasn't for the fact that I will get stationed somewhere else in abt two years I would probably do more than just think about it.

I'am sorry to hear that.
What is it you need to get done?
Maybe you can look into doing your own hair,I stopped going to stylist's altogether just because I don't trust them.:)
There are great tutorials from members on doing your own hair

That is why I need to go to a stylist. I messed my hair up trying to self relax a long time ago. I can do everything else fine and I can strecth for abt 3 months so if I could just get some recommendations on a decent stylist I would be alright.

My poor hair is so damaged now that I will probably have to BC!!!:eek: Like Halle Berry. I'm so upset. I just want to get it over with.:(

Sure wish I was there to help you, Sis. Funny thing is, I have seriously considered moving to Arizona as a stylist. It's still a possibility but I know that does you no good at this time. :ohwell:

How close are you to Mesa? One of my aunts has been going to the same stylist for the past 17 years, but she lives in Mesa.

Perhaps there are some LHCF ladies who can do your touch up for you. Please let us know how things turn out.

Mesa is the same distance as Phoenix. I could go there. I am so desperate right now if I didn't get any help here I would have gone to any salon, dragging my precious phyto, sedu, and favorite products with me!

Maybe you could pm me the info for your aunts stylist?

TeeKay21 said:
Mesa is the same distance as Phoenix. I could go there. I am so desperate right now if I didn't get any help here I would have gone to any salon, dragging my precious phyto, sedu, and favorite products with me!

Maybe you could pm me the info for your aunts stylist?
Sure thing! I will need to get it from her and will PM it to you ASAP.

I wish I could help you. I learned how to do alot of thngs here on this site. I wish I lived in AZ with you. I hate freezing my butt off on Long Island.:lol:

Back