Heat vs. Relaxer: Better of the two evils

Ms_Twana

Hello ladies. Let me begin by saying, no offense to the ladies with relaxers. Relaxers just seemed to be evil for MY hair. Or it could have just been my haircare. IDK, I didn't give it much of a chance because soon after I joined LHCF, I started transitioning. Then I BCed after 6 months.

Anyway, I have started other threads venting about dealing with the THICK hair on the top of my head. And I am really considering a relaxer. But then I thought, well, what if I just straightened from now on. So, that brings me here with my question: Which would be less damaging to hair??

If I get a relaxer, I would use rollersets to straighten, and put it in a bun when I want to keep it protected. If I straighten, I would use direct heat (blow dryer and flat iron) like every two weeks. And also bun to protect my ends, when needed.

The longer my hair gets, the more it is to deal with. It was my original intent to wear my hair in it's natural state until I reached my goal length, BSL. I haven't reached that goal yet, but I'm not certain how much more I can take. I FINALLY reached APL!!! :yay: WHOO HOO!!! And wash days are becoming a nightmare. The other day I was too lazy to wash in sections :nono: ...BIG MISTAKE. :naughty:

Well, enough of my rambling. What do you ladies think???

Last edited:
I choose relaxer (mild relaxer or texlax with major stretching). I feel with heat only, to maintain straight styles, you have to apply heat quite often. I only relax once every 4 to 6 months. So that is better for my hair

I prefer heat because it's not permanent and you can protect your hair from heat not sure about protecting your hair from chemicals in the relaxer

i choose heat, cause with the use of a heat protectant your hair will revert. i'm all about choice, and i like being able to wear it curly one day and straight the next. why not texturize if it's too thick for you?

Our hair can thrive and be damaged by both. It's such a personal choice.
It's up to you to decide if you want to develop a hair care regimen for your relaxed hair, or if you want to develop a hair care regimen for your natural heat-straightened hair. Either way you are going to have to take very good care of your hair, if your goal is to retain a lot of length.

I personally choose heat; because when I was relaxed, no matter how hard I tried, I could not stop using indirect and direct heat. So I gave up the two evils (chemicals + heat) and traded it for just one evil...heat.
And it's been working for me for nearly 10 years.

I'd choose heat (no more than twice a month). Keep in mind, alot of ppl with relaxed hair use some form of heat as well, flat ironing semi-regularly for example. It affects relaxed hair just as much, if not more. It's just U can't see the affects as much because the protein bonds have already been broken and is already straight(er).

Texlaxing is almost worse than both when it comes to straightening, depending on what degree the texlax is. My textlaxed hair was still very curly and to straighten was just as much a chore as it would be for a natural. And the heat plus manipulation was damaging to my hair even more since my hair was in a more weakened state because of being chemically processed.

Thanks for your responses, ladies.

i'm all about choice, and i like being able to wear it curly one day and straight the next. why not texturize if it's too thick for you?

See, I thought about that too; have the best of both worlds. Although I don't do wng's anymore. I love twistouts on natural hair. And I have thought of getting a texturizer, but I was like, "if I'm going to do a chemical, I might as well relax." :ohwell:

It's up to you to decide if you want to develop a hair care regimen for your relaxed hair, or if you want to develop a hair care regimen for your natural heat-straightened hair. Either way you are going to have to take very good care of your hair, if your goal is to retain a lot of length.

I personally choose heat; because when I was relaxed, no matter how hard I tried, I could not stop using indirect and direct heat. So I gave up the two evils (chemicals + heat) and traded it for just one evil...heat.

Thanks Pink. I agree that relaxer + heat will not get it. That's what kept me at a little below shoulder length most of my life. So, I definitely don't want to do that again. Thanks why I was thinking I would just rollerset if I get a relaxer. I guess I'd have to learn how, huh!!! :lachen:

I agree with the above. It just depends on the person. Some people don't need to relax and just heat style, some people don't heat style their hair but chemically relax. And others relax/texlax and heat style minimally. It's all about achieving a balance that your hair can thrive under. But as for me, I relax and rarely ever heat style. I'll probably heat style once or twice a year.

Last edited:
I choose relaxed (texlaxed). When I was fully relaxed my hair was delicate and thin. When I was transitioning for awhile, and when I was a bit less texlaxed and airdried, it suffered a lot of damage from detangling. Now that I am a tad more texlaxed and rollerset. I have noticed that my 3c hair is thicker, more manageable, and in the best shape it has ever ever EVAH been in my life.

I choose relaxer.

The amount of heat it took to get my hair straight in additon to the amount to keep it straight for more than a few hours was excessive.

That and I no longer have the knotting issues.

Definitely heat (which for me isn't all that evil). Although my hair was rather healthy relaxed, it did a number on my scalp. But I think my hair was healthy due to the fact that although I relaxed, I NEVER used heat, just wet/or roller wrapped to get it straight. Now that I'm natural, I only heat straighten ever so often and mainly roller/saran wrap for a straight look (which is similar to what I did when relaxed)

Last edited:
You could always air-dry your rollersets (relaxed or natural).

I don't mind heat from the hooded dryer. But I CAN NOT rollerset my natural hair. It coils up to quickly, no matter how wet I have it. So I have strands of hair that coil up and do its own thang, rather than roll around the roller. If it was easy for me to rollerset my natural hair, I would go that route.

Bump.

Okay ladies, I'm still debating this issue for me. Right now, I've been keeping my hair in a bun. So, I'm not dealing with it very often. But I am beginning to wash less, simply because I don't want to deal with the thickness. And my hair thrives very well with frequent co-washes and/or water.

I am soo torn. Are there any other ladies that can relate???

I would choose natural hair and just straighten it
Ms Twana, what about rollersetting your natural hair, air drying and not using heat? Would that help?

I've been straightening my hair more often lately due to the extreme cold weather. Once May comes I'll go back to my wet ponytails and wash n go's. I 'm not crazy about flatironing, but I deep condition like crazy and take really good care of my hair. Pinkskates is a great example of how you can be natural and use heat wisely.

One last thing - the only thing I don't like relaxers is that its permanent. If you decide you didn't like it, well you have to start transitioning all over again.

Ms Twana, what about rollersetting your natural hair, air drying and not using heat? Would that help?

One last thing - the only thing I don't like relaxers is that its permanent. If you decide you didn't like it, well you have to start transitioning all over again.

Thanks Boston. I wouldn't mind indirect heat from the hooded dryer. It's just that I can't rollerset my natural hair. I just can not get all of my hair around the roller. It just kept coiling up and doing it's own thing. Granted, I've only tried once. :lachen:But I got so frustrated that I stopped. :perplexed

And you're right, relaxers are very permanent. When I relaxed before, I think my hair didn't grow longer because of how I was caring for my hair. I think I have a lot more knowledge about caring for hair now. I just want more manageable hair, without sacrificing the health of my hair.

Definitely heat (which for me isn't all that evil). Although my hair was rather healthy relaxed, it did a number on my scalp. But I think my hair was healthy due to the fact that although I relaxed, I NEVER used heat, just wet/or roller wrapped to get it straight. Now that I'm natural, I only heat straighten ever so often and mainly roller/saran wrap for a straight look (which is similar to what I did when relaxed)

Girl, that rollerset is BEAUTIFUL, and I can't even tell you don't have a relaxer!!!

I was about to come say this.

MT, I had this same debate with myself, but when I really thought about it, when I wanted my hair REALLY straight, I had to use heat...even with a relaxer and especially with a texlaxer so it made more sense to remain natural than to relax and still use heat while stretching.

However, I do think the choice should depend on how well your hair handles heat. I happen to have the kind of hair that can take a lot of heat and not lose its curl pattern. Granted, I don't straighten weekly, but when I do, I have no issues with reversion the following wash day.

While both heat and chems are damaging, I think the chems do more harm than good in the long run.

Ms T, I am having the same debate with myself at the moment. For me, I KNOW that my natural hair is the better choice however my hair is extremely curly and tends to knot/catch each other and this leads to breakage for me. The corrective relaxer I had in December was the worst experience I have had ever had and I just can not bring myself to endure a relaxer again. Within the month, I plan on getting braid extensions to transition back to my natural hair. I am in the market now for a flat iron and a blow dryer to help with length checks and trims. In the past, I have big chopped and worn wigs until my hair was long enough to get braids. This time around, I decided to transition with braids for the next year or so and periodically blow dry and flatiron my hair.

Like everyone else stated, it's by choice....but the thing is if you relax, then you use direct heat, that's double damage....and if you only use heat, say if you go out some where your hair will revert back, then you will have to keep straighten it, if you use a relaxer, you can air dry and then use a flat iron, you can wrap....and you won't have to use heat all the time....I don't know...it's hard for me to say, cuz the heat has done more damage for my hair then the relaxer has, but I never tell anyone to relax cuz I don't want to be responsible for anyone's hair........ what's your hair type?

I couldn't handle it anymore, and heat wasn't even beginning to cut it.

I chose relaxer. Best thing I've ever done.

I stretch for months on end, and I think that helps with damage.

If my hair were less coarse I would stay natural and use heat. But honey I can't deal with this 4a hair in it's natural state. And I just don't want to personally. Like pinkskates said it really is a personal decision. I choose a mild relaxer and I stretch at least 12 weeks or more. I use a little direct heat during stretches for my roots. So far so good. I'm retaining and strands are thicker than ever.

I choose heat. I've never been relaxed so I don't how that would affect my hair. But I've been a pressed natural and back in the day I only had to get my hair pressed once a month, it didn't revert (through basketball/volleyball games), and I have 4a/b hair.

Relaxers are just too permanent (and unhealthy) for me and I'm not cutting my hair for any reason.

Texlaxing is almost worse than both when it comes to straightening, depending on what degree the texlax is. My textlaxed hair was still very curly and to straighten was just as much a chore as it would be for a natural. And the heat plus manipulation was damaging to my hair even more since my hair was in a more weakened state because of being chemically processed.

Thanks for this!! I never thought of this as a downside to texlaxing, but it definitely makes sense!

Relaxing works for me. I rarely use any heat, I only use direct heat every 12 weeks, at relaxer time. All the other times either bun or rollerset, or wear a ponytail/braid that I air dry. MY HAIR IS THRIVING LIKE THIS.

My 3c hair is pretty curly so it only takes a pass or 2 to make it straight. THE POINT IS KEEPING It straight....When I am further than 8 weeks post, I will still get reversion, even on the already relaxed parts of my hair......If I was ONLY using direct heat to get it straight, I am sure my hair would stay straight for like 3 days and then revert!!

........ what's your hair type?

If my hair were less coarse I would stay natural and use heat. But honey I can't deal with this 4a hair in it's natural state.

See THAT'S the issue. I'm 4a and my hair is COARSE and THICK!!! It's a lot for me to handle sometimes. It took forever, as usual, for me to wash my hair today. But for the 1st time I did plaits so that I could do a braid-out. So maybe I can do this instead of the twistout because twisting is WAAY to0 time consuming.

Back