Heat vs. Relaxer: Better of the two evils

I will suggest it like this, when I was relaxing I still needed heat. My stylists would either roller set me and flat iron the roots or I would flat iron. I couldn't steer away from the heat. So, it seems that since I still need it, then I don't need the chemical. My hair gets straight without it. My avatar is my hair relaxed and mostly roller set by the Dominicans. They would roller set and then use the round brush with a dryer on extreme high heat to straighten the roots. My siggy is my transitioning hair with about 2-3 inches of new growth that blends with my relaxed hair. That hair was flat ironed with a heat protectant. I am in the process of building the moisture content so I don't have reversion. Because I would rather wear my hair straight. I am still learning a lot, but you gotta do with is best for you. But, either way, heat is going to play a role.

I vote heat. Like the OP, relaxers and my hair just do not mix. I've been relaxed 3 times and each time was a disaster. However my hair has been pretty resilient against the damage heat can cause. Before I knew better, I was using heat on my natural hair at least 4 times a week (hangs head in shame). Somehow, I never went bald and my hair loss was minimal.

OPster, I'm struggling with the same issue as you. I'm thinking about transitioning to natural because my 4a/b hair was thick and it was growing very quickly. But I wasn't as well verse about styling my hair; becuz my natural hair is very coily that it looked a mess in a braidout. But I know my natural hair or hair transitioning can actually take ALOT of heat. So I may still be able to be a straight natural.

But my advice is to stretch your hair and see what you think of it.

OPster, I'm struggling with the same issue as you. I'm thinking about transitioning to natural because my 4a/b hair was thick and it was growing very quickly. But I wasn't as well verse about styling my hair; becuz my natural hair is very coily that it looked a mess in a braidout. But I know my natural hair or hair transitioning can actually take ALOT of heat. So I may still be able to be a straight natural.

But my advice is to stretch your hair and see what you think of it.

I'm natural and I'm considering getting a relaxer again.

It all depends on your hair. My hair has a heat threshold, one direct heating tool is all I can really stand. If I just blow it out, it's fine, blow and f/i, it breaks and dries. I'm only 12 mos into my (3rd/4th?) transition. My hair gets on my nerves for 'x' number of reasons and I relax again. Then I hate relaxing for 'x' number of reasons and grow it out again. The last cycle was 8 yrs natural. Anyway, after researching here for a bit, I opted to texturize b/c I didn't trust that I could use these other methods to dry and style on my natural hair. :perplexed Live and learn. Now I realize, once again, that relaxing for me is unnecessary.

The relaxed hair wasn't inherently bad either. The bigger problem was doing all of the wng stuff. It was the wng that was less my friend than the chemicals. Once I started setting regularly and f/i the roots only, I kept length.

I think u should try setting again. Practice makes perfect and natural sets require a few exacting rules but it's pretty simple. I've set my hair throughout this whole transition (12 mos so far). Just chopped off ~5" of hair (as close as I'm coming to a BC) and some sections are fully natural. The length of my hair gets straight, much to my surprise. Not textured, kinky straight, straight. I'm still just f/i the roots an inch or so at the roots where needed. I think if u try and follow some of the great tips here from naturals who set, you'll have more success than u think. The trick is saturating each section and keeping the hair u haven't rolled moist. The spray bottle (and it's contents are your friend), as well as a nice tight set.

And if at first you don't succeed... dust yourself off and try again, try again. :yep:

I think u should try setting again. Practice makes perfect and natural sets require a few exacting rules but it's pretty simple. I've set my hair throughout this whole transition (12 mos so far). Just chopped off ~5" of hair (as close as I'm coming to a BC) and some sections are fully natural. The length of my hair gets straight, much to my surprise. Not textured, kinky straight, straight. I'm still just f/i the roots an inch or so at the roots where needed. I think if u try and follow some of the great tips here from naturals who set, you'll have more success than u think. The trick is saturating each section and keeping the hair u haven't rolled moist. The spray bottle (and it's contents are your friend), as well as a nice tight set.

And if at first you don't succeed... dust yourself off and try again, try again. :yep:

I know. I need to keep trying. I didn't know how to rollerset my relaxed hair either. So, either way, I'll probably need to learn. UGH!! I'm just not sure if I have the patience. :nono:

MsT, I agree with LuvMyBigHair. My hair is coarse and thick too, and I always had to use heat, both when I was relaxed and texlaxed. Texlax was the worst, because it was still fairly kinky so I had to use a ton of heat, PLUS it was already weak from the relaxer.

I'm not sure what you will decide, but if you do relax, I suggest going all the way and relaxing straight.

Bumping...

So I researched this topic because I'm texlaxed and thinking about transitioning. I love the idea of natural hair but I prefer straight styles.

So I'm having this debate in my head about what makes more sense. Also, what's the lesser evil of the two; heat straightening or chemical straightening.

I think I'm more confused than before I found this thread.

IF your hair can't tolerate a relaxer then, DONT DO IT!!!!!!!! Ive tried 3 times to put a relaxer in my head and each time in a matter of a year i experienced breakage and limp and lifeless hair... Relaxers really are not for everyone!..no matter how little heat or how well you maintain your hair sometimes the breaking down of the hair meledule is just too much...

Give yourself a few months to figure out what products and appliances work best and how much heat you need to get your hair straight and then i would stick with that routine! Get a good conditioner, leave in, heat protect and and flat iron, these along with the tips from the natural ladies on the board and you should be good to go!!

But if you already know your hair cant take a perm...learn from me and dont do it!!! You'll just end up BC'ing and joining us natural ladies again. :-)

Well, I'm still debating. Since it's getting warm, I won't be straightening anymore. I have reached my first goal of APL. Once a reach BSL (hopefully by the end of the year), I may just relax then. Then I'll just rollerset and stretch my touch ups. I do know that at some point, I want to wear my hair straight on a regular basis, and I won't be able to do that by straightening my hair myself. And I don't want a stylist BURNING my hair straight!!!

My hair does fine with relaxers, but I've found myself using more heat lately, so I am contemplating transitioning to natural. I am a little less than 19 weeks post, and I dont know what to do! I feel like I find myself in this quandary at least once a year.

I choose heat over relaxer....relaxers always do me wrong no matter what I do. Also relaxers change the makeup of your hair, heat could BUT doesn't have to if you are careful with it...relaxers by their very nature can't help it :lol:

Back