Heat Use Once a Week

I have to use heat. When I first started my journey, I jumped on the bandwagon of little to no heat and retired my heating tools. I paid for it with pretty severe breakage and never being able to get my moisture protein balances right. It took me a long time to realize my hair not only likes heat but thrives best when some sort of heat is involved. I know others have to train their hair to accept a certain amount of heat but I'm the opposite - I had to train my hair to accept heatless styles. And even then my hair will only tolerate no heat for so long before it smacks me and demands heat :lol:

I roller set my hair faithfully for about 9 weeks (with a blow dry and flat iron session thrown in one of those weeks). For the next 3 weeks I do heatless styles before relaxing and doing it all over again. HTH!

Channy31

What are the heat settings on your blow dryer and flat iron?

Do you use the comb chase method?

Hey!
My routine e has changed since then, due to my exams I now have only ben flat iroingin once every two weeks.

But back then my blow drier would be on low, and my flat iron would be as low as possible. I didn't use to use that method no.

I used heat every two weeks for years and was at APL. Even with PSing, I couldn't use heat that often and retain past that.

I recently went 16 weeks using heat only once and saw lots of retention with hardcore (everyday) bunning. I'll do another 16 week stretch later this year and hopefully that will get me to MBL. I'm taking a little break for now though!

nope. i have tried that on apl length hair and ended up right back at chewed off above SL. now i know even once a week is too much.

the advice in this thread sounds so good that if i didnt know better id take it and be right back to bald-headed again :lol:

For some, no.

For me, PS works really well when I wear my hair straight. I am able to comb my hair better and not have many shed hairs on wash days, but can shed hair in between wash days successfully.:grin:

When my hair is air dried, I usually have to do a twist/braid out and once my hair is set, there is no combing, detangling, nothing. So when I wash, its shed hair city, and some of those hairs tangle on each other. Sometimes, they do that as I am taking out the twist!:ohwell: If I do not do a twist/braid out and just air dry and act cute with big hair; forget about it. Its even worse for me. PS-ing with air dried hair is truly not the move for me.

Sometimes, no heat is just a relief for my arms and less time styling, but at the end of the week, once those rollers have to be set, I sometimes curse myself for being so darn lazy. :nono:
I thought I was the only one! For real! Protective styling for me gives me MORE SSKs and split ends than straightening. My hair loves itself too much for me to leave it in a curly state for longer than like 2 days. Sigh I've gotten so much reaffirmation regarding my hair in the past 24 hours.

I'm assuming that the ladies in this thread are interested in avoiding pouffy roots - right? Here's my question, if you are using a daily growth mix (e.g., OCT, MT (which contain water) with oils, etc.), what are you using in your mix in order to avoid reversion after weekly styling.

Back