Hear Ye! Hear ye! Calling all flatiron experts!

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I have no idea how to flat iron properly ( or what to expect and how to troubleshoot when I do).

I have coarse (thick strands) 4c hair and I am not looking for bone straight, just kinky straight. I want to be able to run my hands through my hair while still maintaining some volume and texture. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Im no expert but heres my 2 cents: Keep the temperature in the low to mid 300s range, and use heat protectant

If u need a visual for technique, YouTube has loads of videos

HtH

How do you plan on prepping your hair for the flat iron job? Blow dry, braids, bands? That is just as important as the flat iron.

I flat iron my dd's hair about once a month on freshly washed hair.

ForumRunner_20140612_071532.jpg

DoDo

ForumRunner_20140612_071551.jpg

ForumRunner_20140612_071610.jpg

ForumRunner_20140612_071648.jpg

ForumRunner_20140612_071751.jpg

The got 2 b blow dry and flat iron spray is the only thing I put on it before I finish then a few drops of pure argan oil. This worked so good I bought 10 bottles. Lol the best one so far for her.

Attachments

• 300.jpg
    300.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 85
I only know how to get that straight straight straight hair from flat-ironing... I used CHI Silk Infusion and I used John Frieda as my heat protectant before I blowdry. I dont do it much anymore nowadays, I havent flat ironed my hair in about 6 months. But sylver2 had a good tutorial... I learned from her... SWANGIN straight hair was always the result... She's on youtube too...

Just blow your hair out. No need to use the flatiron. A blow out on low cool setting will get your hair dry, and maintain the volume. It will also keep your from frying your hair with the blow dryer.

Oh and make sure you use a heavier oil for heat protection when you blow dry it. It will also help it stay straighter longer unless you sweat in the head.

Op the title made me laugh :lol:
For a good kinky straight blowout I shampoo and dc. Then I blowdry in sections with a concentrator nozzle on low heat (use the tension method). Once my hair is big and blown out, I flatiron in small sections. I've only done this once myself and I got kinky straight hair... I was actually going for sleek straight, but I am also 4b/c so I was happy with what I had :lol:

Good luck!!

I would grab thick, thick sections to flat iron. Keep that temp low-- don't go above 350 degrees. This is my favorite kind of look for flat ironing thick natural hair, its by a member here w/long 4b/c hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_aBHRSfE_4 . But if you say "run fingers through hair", I think of bone straight. I think that is not a good idea unless you're prepared for extreme heat and comb chase (which I hate for 4c hair b/c it pulls the hair out & you're asking for damage).

How do you plan on prepping your hair for the flat iron job? Blow dry, braids, bands? That is just as important as the flat iron.

SlimPickinz

The last couple times I either co-cleansed with Devacurl No Poo or Ouidad Curl Co-wash (Perhaps I should shampoo?)

The first time I used the tension method on low/warm and high speed with a Conair blowdryer and used Redken extreme anti snap leave-in treatment as heat protectant.

The second time I used the high temperature :nono:, and low speed :nono: as well as a comb attachment :ohwell: with my new Ts-2 blowdryer. My hair was very shiny but a far cry from any semblance of straight. I layered redken extreme anti snap with its a ten leave in and aveda's smooth infusion style prep smoother.

The first time I flat ironed I used 230 degrees, and this last time I used 350 degrees on small sections.

The last time I flat ironed I used pretty high heat, yet my hair looked like I had done a poorly executed blow out and the reversion was near immediate.

I flat iron my dd's hair about once a month on freshly washed hair.

View attachment 264717

DoDo

View attachment 264719

View attachment 264721

View attachment 264723

View attachment 264725

The got 2 b blow dry and flat iron spray is the only thing I put on it before I finish then a few drops of pure argan oil. This worked so good I bought 10 bottles. Lol the best one so far for her.

shiney_sapphire

Your daughter's hair is absolutely gorgeous. Did you blow-dry with the tension method or with a comb attachment. What temperature did you use on the flat iron?

Op the title made me laugh :lol:
For a good kinky straight blowout I shampoo and dc. Then I blowdry in sections with a concentrator nozzle on low heat (use the tension method). Once my hair is big and blown out, I flatiron in small sections. I've only done this once myself and I got kinky straight hair... I was actually going for sleek straight, but I am also 4b/c so I was happy with what I had :lol:

Good luck!!

Prettymetty

What temperature did you use on your flat iron? Kinky-straight is perfect for me :grin:, but perhaps quick reversion is just part of that deal :ohwell:.

Did you also have lightning fast reversion?

I would grab thick, thick sections to flat iron. Keep that temp low-- don't go above 350 degrees. This is my favorite kind of look for flat ironing thick natural hair, its by a member here w/long 4b/c hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_aBHRSfE_4 . But if you say "run fingers through hair", I think of bone straight. I think that is not a good idea unless you're prepared for extreme heat and comb chase (which I hate for 4c hair b/c it pulls the hair out & you're asking for damage).

virtuenow

Okay I understand. Kinky straight and run my hands through my hair straight is a contradiction in terms. That makes sense.

You may be right that looking for straighter results may require practices that will jeopardize my hair's long term health :yep:.

I am going to check out that link.

ETA: I love sunshower143, those are the exact results I want. Her hair is finer than mine though, I have coarse hair so I will have to do more to get those results on my hair.

Last edited:
yeah @DoDo, I used @Lovelynaps26 (sunshower143's) technique from that video, and never been more pleased w/a flat iron. Using big chunky sections is a must for a textured flat iron. I think she should do a video on that version of the flat iron technique (yes, I'm requesting a video). I much prefer those results over the bone straight version.

yeah DoDo, I used Lovelynaps126 (sunshower143's) technique from that video, and never been more pleased w/a flat iron. Using big chunky sections is a must for a textured flat iron. I think she should do a video on that version of the flat iron technique (yes, I'm requesting a video). I much prefer those results over the bone straight version.

virtuenow

:yep: :yep:

I am all for a tutorial on that, her hair is absolutely gorgeous in that video :love:. That is my ideal flat iron result.

ETA: Her old flatiron video is useful though, because I am already noticing that her blow-drying technique is far better than mine. She is not lazy like I am :rolleyes:. She also detangles her hair far more thoroughly than I do. She goes from a wide tooth to a medium tooth comb then uses the comb attachment on the blow dryer on much smaller sections. This is a gold mine! Thanks virtuenow!

Last edited:
DoDo I used setting 10 out of 25 on my Sedu revolution. It reverted pretty quickly, but I didn't care. I was going to bun it anyway

shiney_sapphire

Your daughter's hair is absolutely gorgeous. Did you blow-dry with the tension method or with a comb attachment. What temperature did you use on the flat ?

DoDo
Thank you! I blow dry with the tension method and 350 to 400. The buttons slip when I hold it sometimes.

If I flat iron right after blow drying, it comes out straighter than if I wait a few hrs or the next day.

Last edited:
I'm a loooooooong ways away from an expert but my stylist gets my hair pretty straight with just a blowdryer before going in with the pressing comb.

Do you have a hooded dryer? She normally puts my hair in 2-4 twists and sits me under the hooded dryer for around 30 minutes. After that she will go in with a blow dryer and paddle brush for about 5 minutes and my hair is darn near flat iron straight just from that. As far as product goes, the only thing she uses in my hair is It's a 10 leave in conditioner prior to going under the hooded dryer.

Lets try this again LovelyNaps26 please do a video on your textured flat iron look. We love :yep: (and its been a while since you blessed us w/a video :) ).

:lol: yeah i need to get around to vlogging. life has been crazy busy. my hair just went through the ringer with a recent wedding so i need to lay off the heat for a bit but this will be one of the next vids i do...before the end of the summer :yep:

Back