Hear my story and see pics of hair in Haiti!

Fine 4s

Hello ladies!

I missed you! Travelled to Haiti and now I'm in...drum roll...hair school!
I have so many thoughts to share with you and it’s only day 2.

Haiti:

I took some hair pictures for you, and some pics of a hair salon (the better pics are in another camera). To come soon…
I saw TONS of natural head ladies. I’m loving the way the country is changing in this respect. People loved my humongous twist-out clearly impacted by the humidity in the country. However I did hear that my hair was very ‘African.’ Trust me, it wasn’t meant to be a compliment. Overall, folks loved it!

Hair school thoughts:

1st class: we learned terminology.
2nd class: The mannequin we used was a kinky hair textured black woman. When I say kinky I don't mean type 4 either, I mean more of a type 3! This is NOT kinky IMHO. On shampoo: The teacher believes that the more expensive shampoos are better to which I replied that I’ve used Suave. Her response was ‘and you like it?’ Later on in the class, she stated that when a client’s hair is squeaky clean that means it’s well washed. Hmmmm…

She also stated that after perming, the stylist should condition and then neutralize. I thought it was the other way around – wash with neutralizing ‘poo and then condition. When she said this, I wasn’t sure if she was referring to a DC or instant conditioner. When I asked for clarification, she confirmed ‘instant.’ She also said that since after a relaxer the cuticles are open, the stylist doesn’t have to put the client under the dryer or steamer to encourage penetration since the cuticles are already open allowing the conditioner to work just as well.

The main ingredients in shampoos with the purpose of repairing damaged hair are coconut oil, jojoba oil, shea (?), almond oil and mineral oil (Not sure if I agree with this). She got the information from a book called African-Caribbean hairdressing ISBN-1-86152-804-3.

She mentioned our beloved ApHogee treatment. When a student asked how often to use this, she said every month and I quickly jumped in to say 6-8 weeks. She stated that after 6 treatments, the condition of the damaged hair should improve.

When it was time to wash our mannequin named Destiny, I braided her hair in sections as I would do mine. Folks were like ‘girl, Destiny’s hair will always be matted’ or ‘you’re wasting your time.’ I ignored them and kept going. Did my quick wash and didn’t even need to use conditioner to soften the hair since I was in sections! I laughed so hard (on the inside.) My blow drying was smooth sailing. I had one of the straightest mannequin hair in the classroom. One student said ‘I’ve been here 3 months and can’t do that!’

Question: Although blow drying wet hair is not recommended since the hydrogen bonds have been broken down and so the hair is at its weakest, I suspect the hair gets straighter blow drying wet hair. Would you agree? This is for kinky hair textures, not necessarily for permed hair ladies.

This program is going to teach me to be humble, quiet and to keep my emotions in check. Several times during the class, I found myself saying “this is going to kill me” with my head down talking to myself. I know folks thought I was crazy.

Pics: My avatar is how I wore my hair when the twist-out was too out to wear out…
My Siggy is how my hair was before the bust.

I labeled each pic for a small description.

Attachments

• The hair salon I visited in Petion-Ville.jpg
    The hair salon I visited in Petion-Ville.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 240
  • The wall of treatments.jpg
    The wall of treatments.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 251
  • Familiar DR DCs.jpg
    Familiar DR DCs.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 236
  • I need to find this product.JPG
    I need to find this product.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 230
  • Clean towels smelled so good.jpg
    Clean towels smelled so good.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
still more coming...

Attachments

• Got my nails done for $5 US.jpg
    Got my nails done for $5 US.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 210
  • The weekend routine for women in Haiti.jpg
    The weekend routine for women in Haiti.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 232
  • Ah the roller sets.jpg
    Ah the roller sets.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 232
  • Action in the salon.jpg
    Action in the salon.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 233
  • Get that baby SSSSTRAIGHT.jpg
    Get that baby SSSSTRAIGHT.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 221
OK...I'm done now. I have better picture from another camera. Coming later (waiting to have them emailed to me).

Attachments

• This lil' puddin'.jpg
    This lil' puddin'.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 269
  • Yakim's cornrows.JPG
    Yakim's cornrows.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 276
  • The final product.jpg
    The final product.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 266
  • Gorgeous.jpg
    Gorgeous.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 257
It sounds like you will be kicking butt and taking names in hair school. Just keep going and you will be successful. Congrats!

You will be biting your tongue a lot in school. just take in as much as you can to pass the state exam, then you can do thing differently.

No wonder folks have such bad hair experiences going to salons. If she is the "professional" and teaching incorrect information. The cycle just keeps going....

GL

i'll need everyone in your class' names so i won't go to them when they open their shop. TIA lol

:lachen::lachen::lachen:You sound like me in a similiar situation. Yes. Keep your cool and try not to let the myths and incorrect information from the teacher drive you crazy :spinning:

Congratulations on your decision to go to beauty school. I can't wait to see the rest of your pics and thank you for sharing.

Well, I can only imagine what you'll have to unlearn in hair school :look:

Just bite your tongue on some things and keep that golden info to yourself girl! That's more for you and I'm sure you'll be one of the best.

At least that's what I would do. :look: Most teachers aren't open to LHCF/personal skills. :nono:

Keep us updated...this is interesting.

It sounds like you will be kicking butt and taking names in hair school. Just keep going and you will be successful. Congrats!

Wait, I have pics of my Destiny...hold on, I'm going to the bathroom and I'll take pics....see, now I'm going to get fired messing around with mannequins in the bathroom :grin:

The first pic the hair is pin curled from last night, the second not pinned (in bathroom at work) and the last is a back pic of the mannequin. For my first hair assignment woohoo!

Last edited:
I have a Destiny and they had us do a curly perm one side and a relaxer on the other. My poor Destiny's hair is DESTROYED!!!!! LOL

Congratulations on going to Cosmetology school.

There are quite a few relaxers that condition before Neutralizing and Motions is one of them. There are also lots of members who use the same routine with their relaxers. I get awesome results each time.

Please stay open minded when in class, try not to come off as a know it all with the teacher as I couldn't stand mine and she made sure I hated her class, GRRRRRR.

You can show them better than you can tell them.

Congratulations again and I love your hair :D

Congratulations on going to Cosmetology school.

There are quite a few relaxers that condition before Neutralizing and Motions is one of them. There are also lots of members who use the same routine with their relaxers. I get awesome results each time.

Please stay open minded when in class, try not to come off as a know it all with the teacher as I couldn't stand mine and she made sure I hated her class, GRRRRRR.

You can show them better than you can tell them.

Congratulations again and I love your hair :D

Thanks for the advice, I WILL be following it...this will be tough ladies.

I agree expensive doesn't always mean the best.

I LOVE your nails and for $5 can I please come get mine done :D

The school looks wonderful!

I am sure you'll have fun, how many hours do you have to complete or is a different system there, like months instead of hours?

Your going to have fun because when you do something your passionate about it's not like going to work it is more of your career. Have fun and don't worry!!! :D

Hello ladies,

To clarify these pics are all taken in Haiti. I have MORE pics later but all of these pics except for the mannequin were taken in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.

OH, those weren't pics of the school but the salon in Haiti and my nails also got done in Haiti (last week).

Your hair looks really nice!
In re: to your title "see pics of hair in Haiti", were you referring to your own hair or the women in the salon? If so, are they (the salon ladies) a big representation of how women in Haiti wear their hair?

Very inspirational! They look like they are getting back on track. You had a wonderful opportunity Fine4S...Congrats!

Thank you for the pics 4s! Are you Haitian? I am and I was in Haiti four years ago- I regret not visiting a salon while I was there- I was actually staying in Petion Ville too for the week. Then again- I wasn't into hair care back then.

I am hoping to make it back out to Haiti soon though. Again, a million times thank you for the photos :)

I attend cosmo school here in the US where I live. I was in Haiti last week and took some hair pics to show you ladies. Sorry for the confusion.

OK...I'm done now. I have better picture from another camera. Coming later (waiting to have them emailed to me).
wow.. that lady's highlights are gorgeous!

Now I know where to go get my hair done next time I'm in Petionville. BTW do you remember any of the prices? For services and/ or products?

Your hair looks really nice!
In re: to your title "see pics of hair in Haiti", were you referring to your own hair or the women in the salon? If so, are they (the salon ladies) a big representation of how women in Haiti wear their hair?

Both. How I wore my hair on vaca and how big my twist-out was as seen in my siggy. I'll be taking it down soon, just wanted to show how humidity kicked its arse! Also, pics of folks hair in Haiti, braided, low cut, straight etc. I have more I'll post...

It's a mix. The salon ladies or straight hair pics MIGHT represent the majority of how women in a particular class group wear their hair. When I lived there, it was all about STRAIGHT hair or relaxed hair no matter what group you were part of. Now, you see braids (on upper and lower class folks), afro puffs, twists, extensions, they do it all now. LOVE it. I'm sorry I don't have the pics yet. Still waiting for my friend to email them to me.

HTH!

wow.. that lady's highlights are gorgeous!

Now I know where to go get my hair done next time I'm in Petionville. BTW do you remember any of the prices? For services and/ or products?

I'll ask my friend for wash and set prices and highlight prices...oh, and who did it for her.

Where you staying in Petionville? What is the name of the Salon?

Your twist out is so cute. Mine always come out looking so ugly :(

Last edited:
Where you staying in Petionville? What is the name of the Salon?

Your twist out is so cute. Mine always come out looking so ugly :(

Yes, in P.V. The name of the salon is in one of the pics (don't remember off the top of my head. I wanna say Grimaldi's?)

Aaah very nice pictures!

it's so interesting... Grimilda... sounds like "Grimel"... which is a Haitian term used to describe light-skinned people.

Very nice pics, thanks for posting. Last time I was in Haiti I got my hair wash and set and the lady did a amazing chignon for a wedding I was going to. My hair was on point.

Back