Healthy Relaxed Highlighted Hair

Iansan

Does anyone on here have it? I really want to highlight my relaxed hair just a few light brown streaks in the front. I typically rinse it black, but I am tired of it. If anyone has any tips to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

Don't do it!!!!! My relative tried putting highlights in her beautiful relaxed hair. She had hair that was about AL. She had to cut it all off and start over because she really fried it. She went from a lot of hair to having hair about about 1-2 inches in length all around. :eek: To my amazement, she's really rockin that short cut--but she is also very pretty so I think that her looks did help. :)

Sometimes you can do damaging things to your hair and it may still look healthy for a while. But with time, I think the effects will begin to show--your hair will break off and get shorter and shorter with time.

If you look at my fotki, I managed to keep my relaxeed hair highlighted but I really dont think I am going to continue keeping it that way. My uncolored hair is so much more thicker and shinier. It can be done but its so much work.

glossyxlipz said:
If you look at my fotki, I managed to keep my relaxeed hair highlighted but I really dont think I am going to continue keeping it that way. My uncolored hair is so much more thicker and shinier. It can be done but its so much work.

I don;t have highlights because that is more of just bleaching the hair or stripping it's natural color but I did color the front and it is a little darker than yours and is very natural looking since it is so close to my natural color which is about a 4.

I used a 20 volume devloper and a Feria color. I'll try to find it. It did nothing because I don't use a high developer since it is so close to my natural hair color nor do I leave it on for a long time. I don't have a relaxer so that may be why my hair didn't become damaged.

I got highlights last year and really enjoyed them and probably gonna get more for the summer. My stylist put them in and i didn't experience any problems. Let me see if i can did up a pic...
12-24-06-43.jpg

Well i tried, you can kinda see it?

I was thinking about getting highlights again as well.. but I want to get my hair healthy first before adding additional damage.. I might just skip it altogether. It is alot of work to maintain. When I did it last year, it was like those few strands would NOT absorb moisture no matter what I did.. Granted, now I know a MUCH better way to care for my hair thanks to these boards. But Im still scared to chance it.

Instead of actually highliting, why not just get a few pieces of colored tracks and put them in the front, blended with your real hair? That way there is no damage, and you can change your color as much as you want :)

I use to have Auburn highlights and that's what brought me to the boards. I have before LHCF pics in my fotki and avatar pic. It was cute at first , then the breaking started no matter what I did. My hair did not grow out till the highlights grew out. If I want highlights now, I use clip in pieces.

I have a picture in my fotiki of my highlighted hair from last April. It was healthy and I did not have any problems. I would suggest not going too light so you dont leave chemicals in your hair too long.

If you've been using a black rinse on your hair, the stylist will have to do a double process to get your hair the highlighted color. first to lift the black, then to apply the color. Also depending on long you have been using a rinse, you might have to get the color lifted twice because it could turn the area you want highlighted a green which is the base color of the black. Rinses aren't "supposed" to be permanent, but if applied enough, can put a permanent stain on the strands.

A rinse isn't permanent so it should not be a problem to highlight the hair formerly rinsed.

sweetkita4 said:
If you've been using a black rinse on your hair, the stylist will have to do a double process to get your hair the highlighted color. first to lift the black, then to apply the color. Also depending on long you have been using a rinse, you might have to get the color lifted twice because it could turn the area you want highlighted a green which is the base color of the black. Rinses aren't "supposed" to be permanent, but if applied enough, can put a permanent stain on the strands.

CurleeDST said:
A rinse isn't permanent so it should not be a problem to highlight the hair formerly rinsed.

Yeah.. if she clarifies a few times the rinse shiuld be gone... at least that's what works for me.

Just make sure you use a lot of deep conditioners and do it regularly. My experience was that I could not have Relaxed, Colored, and Healthy. I could never seem to accomplish all three. Two out of three? Definitely. But never all three. Every spring/summer I want new highlights, but now that I'm focused on growth, I know from experience that my hair is much healthier without the color. (Actually without any chemicals at all.) Good luck if you decide to do it.

CurleeDST said:

Rinses aren't permanent, but they can take on a permanent affect if used over a certain period of time (especially black). Black is very hard to lift. I've went from black to having highlights and it never actually turned the color I wanted because of the black rinse in my hair (I'm always getting black rinses). Also, I have a friend that did the same thing and it took all day for her hair to lift. She was pissed to say the least. Her hairdresser told her to stick to dark brown rinses if she evers want to get hair color because the black is just too hard to lift. Her hair also looked kinda trashy afterwards. Other hairdressers have also told me the same thing.

TowsonGirl said:
Instead of actually highliting, why not just get a few pieces of colored tracks and put them in the front, blended with your real hair? That way there is no damage, and you can change your color as much as you want :)

this is an excellent idea IMO!!

I thought doing highlights in a relaxed was a big no no. I remember when I was younger my sis wanted to do highlights on her relaxed her but the stylist refused to do it. She was like "is you hair is relaxed, then I'm sorry I can't do it."

Milkyway said:
I thought doing highlights in a relaxed was a big no no. I remember when I was younger my sis wanted to do highlights on her relaxed her but the stylist refused to do it. She was like "is you hair is relaxed, then I'm sorry I can't do it."

Glossylipz, BlackBarbie, KhandiB, and Tracy are ones off the top of my head who have BEAUTIFUL relaxed and highlighted hair... just like everything else it's not for everybody but IT CAN BE DONE!! :D

@glossylipz Your hair is beautiful! Are you highlights done with permanent color or with bleach? Also do you know what brand your stylists uses?

@cutiepie Yes, I am having trouble getting this rinse out of my hair. It's actually growing out like a permanent color. I used Uncolor by Clairol once and it washed out a lot of it. I'm hoping by the next application it'll be all out. If it the Uncolor can't wash it out, I will probably use a dark brown rinse and call it a day. I really want my highlights though.

@Towsongirl Getting sewn in tracks is what led me to this site in the first place. I'm scared!

Thanks for replying everyone. All the other highlighted heads, Glamourous, Wheezy your hair looks great! What are your regimens?

MsDee4 said:
Glossylipz, BlackBarbie, KhandiB, and Tracy are ones off the top of my head who have BEAUTIFUL relaxed and highlighted hair... just like everything else it's not for everybody but IT CAN BE DONE!! :D

Thanks for the compliment MsDee4! I agree, that it can be done, but it may not be for everyone.

Just as Glossylipz, I have been able to keep my hair healthy, but I can definitely see the difference between the parts of my hair that are not highlighted; it's a lot stronger. I think the last highlights I got in February will be it for me (for a while anyway). I'll just learn to appreciate my naturally brown hair and hope the sun will do its own number on it during the summer!:grin:

However, if you choose to highlight, just know that it will require extra attention on your part to moisturizing, protein treatments, staying away from heat appliances, (although there are some here that are colored and have no problem whatsoever with heat - Shaniquah).

Good luck on your decision!

Last edited:
I was just getting ready to come back and post that BlackBarbie showed me that it can be done. Talk about beautiful omg.

:lol: @ the summer sun + hair + some protection = hair will do it's thang. Girl I was out in the yard working on my roses and my hair turned brown. It's been so long since I spent alot of time in the sun that I forgot my hair lifts to a dark auburn. My nephew's hair turns to a shade of deep red. Talk about wild.

CurleeDST said:

That's what I believed until a few people Iknow and myself included got highlights after rinsing our hair black for years. Most stylists will let you know that the longer you've rinsed, the more it stains the hair. So it would be easier to lift the color from the hair closest to the root, and harder the further down the strand it goes. For me it was my hair that was closest to the ends that lifted to the weird color. I didn't feel like having a double process so I just died it all black.

ILuvsmuhgrass said:
I was just getting ready to come back and post that BlackBarbie showed me that it can be done. Talk about beautiful omg.

:lol: @ the summer sun + hair + some protection = hair will do it's thang. Girl I was out in the yard working on my roses and my hair turned brown. It's been so long since I spent alot of time in the sun that I forgot my hair lifts to a dark auburn. My nephew's hair turns to a shade of deep red. Talk about wild.

Thanks hon! I think I will do "all natural" highlights from here on out!!:grin:

OT: Do you love yard work? Is that where your screen name comes from??

Back