Healthy Hair: How Much is Technique and How Much is Product??

Which Contributes More to Your Hair Health and Growth?

• The specific products I use

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • The techniques I use - co washing, protective styling, DC, etc.

Votes: 146 95.4%

• Total voters

biancaelyse

The first time I really got my hair healthy was about 15 years ago in the mid 90s. I bought the Wanakee set - Shampoo, Conditioner, Leave In, Hair Oil and Temple balm.

The products were great but as important if not more important was the instructional booklet. She spoke of keping hair moisturized. I'd never heard of protective styling before her, hydrating my ends, detangling gently. She was telling me the opposite of everything my stylist did.

I did Wanakee and my hair took off - shoulder length to hip length in a couple of years.

I stopped using her products and went on to Aveda for a hot minute but I maintained the Wanakee technique of "babying" my hair and it still grew and grew.

Now I'm off of Aveda and have a range of products from salon to drug store, more and more on the drug store/healthfood store side.

My hair is still healthy and strong.

For me the technique is about 98% of it. I could exist on $.99 conditioner 24/7 if I had to.

What about you??

Last edited:
I think its both.

I could co wash daily but if I'm not using a conditioner with enough moisture it will do more harm than good. Or if I take low manipulation too far (which I did when I had knee surgery a few months ago), I am faced with more tangles, matting, and hair loss & breakage.

Good products mixed with good techniques = hair health & growth for me.

I agree, I think technique is way more important than products. I used to get my hair blow dryed and flat ironed once a week. I would have broken hairs all around my bathroom sink and floor. Now, I rollerset once a week. And, I think that was the main change I made that has turned my hair around.

I think the majority of it is technique. Growing up my Mom used whatever products were cheap(VO5, Prell, etc.), used some of that green or blue grease and my hair was beyond healthy.

I think products are important because they must be compatible with your hair. However, I think that technique is way more important. Your technique can really make or break your hhj.

It's technique. I am about 17 months into my hair revolution, and I have been able to use up products that I thought were crap because I know how to make use of them to keep my hair in good condition.

I think techniques play a much larger role; although, we shouldn't sleep on products, either. A good product, especially natural and/or cone-free, can go quite the distance.

a lot of it is technique. back in the day my mom kept my hair in braids or twists and i remember she used lusters pink lotion on my hair, bergamot grease on my scalp and finished it with tcb oil sheen lol. that was the only time those products ever touched my hair too was when she was braiding it and that was usually every 1-2 weeks depending on how rough my hair looked. i never wore my hair straight unless it was easter sunday or some other time when she was in rare form and had the energy to tackle my fro with a hot comb and royal crown pressing grease. my hair was thick and long until i started doing it myself at 11.

^^^^Interesting point. Most chi;dren have very thick and healthy hair when they are still wearing them in ponytai;s, puffs and braids, no heat or chemicals.

My SIL flat ironed my younger daughter's wet hair :nono: with a wet to dry flat iron and really did a lot of damage a couple of years ago. Her hair was so long and lush before and then had clumps broken off in random places :nono:

I've been doing the right techniques - no more heat since and her hair has grown back. It's not as long yet, but it is full and healthy.

for me, its 95% technique and 5% products. At the moment I have only 6 or 7 hair products that i actually use. 1 shampoo, 3 conditioners (1 protein, 2 moisturizing), one oil (coconut), and one butter (shea)

Technique is the grand poobah. if you dont know how to comb your hair, even those $70 conditioners wont save you from damage IMHO

for me, its 95% technique and 5% products. At the moment I have only 6 or 7 hair products that i actually use. 1 shampoo, 3 conditioners (1 protein, 2 moisturizing), one oil (coconut), and one butter (shea)

Technique is the grand poobah. if you dont know how to comb your hair, even those $70 conditioners wont save you from damage IMHO

Great point. I have used Aveda to Alberto V05 and maintained nice hair with both.:grin:

I'm going to say 80/20 technique/product ratio.

I wish I could get away with using the $0.99 products but my hair gets an attitude. That's not to say I use all expensive products because I most certainly don't, but I find when I mess with my set product regimen my hair rebels.

But my products wouldn't be effective if I let my ends brush against my clothing on a daily basis. My products wouldn't be effective if I made a habit of detangling new growth with a small tooth comb. My products wouldn't be effective if I tried to use heat twice a week.

At the same time, if I use protein when I need moisture then things aren't going to go smoothly either, so products do have a definite roll to play.

Technique is the cake, products are the frosting. Hence the 80/20 ratio.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The reason that I don't take flat iron reviews seriously is because how the hair comes out is directly related to the skill of the user. The flat iron is a tool not a craftsman.

The reason that I don't take flat iron reviews seriously is because how the hair comes out is directly related to the skill of the user. The flat iron is a tool not a craftsman.

I'm glad that I didn't have to learn this the hard way. Reviews here had me thisclose to spending all kinds of money on a Runway.

I really feel like technique is key. I don't use expensive products or swear by a specific brand/product line. Technique and care wins out in my hair experience.

I think it is mostly technique. I don't really use salon products. I use mostly drugstore products and my hair is very healthy. I think the fact that I am addicted to rollersets, moisturize and seal daily, wash 2x a week, and use low-manipulation styles are key.

ETA: I like trying different products, and I am not consistent with any line. So I can't attribute the health or length of my hair to any product.

^^^^Interesting point. Most chi;dren have very thick and healthy hair when they are still wearing them in ponytai;s, puffs and braids, no heat or chemicals.

My SIL flat ironed my younger daughter's wet hair :nono: with a wet to dry flat iron and really did a lot of damage a couple of years ago. Her hair was so long and lush before and then had clumps broken off in random places :nono:

I've been doing the right techniques - no more heat since and her hair has grown back. It's not as long yet, but it is full and healthy.

That's why im goin back to old school methods. Not so much the lusters and tcb lol but no dye, relaxers, or heat and staying in low mani/protective styles.

I'm glad that I didn't have to learn this the hard way. Reviews here had me thisclose to spending all kinds of money on a Runway.

Yep.

I don't doubt that the materials in the runway are better for the hair over the long haul, but I can guarantee that if I flatironed my hair with the runway, it would look pretty similar to how it would look if I flatironed using my maxiglide or Jibere. I am completely unskilled and it shows.

For the most part, it's a matter of technique. You can make fantastic hair happen with cheap products that do their job well. However, for some thing, cheap will not work.

For example:
You have bone-straight, bleached hair. To make this look its best, a silicone and alcohol laden styling gel isn't going to be your best bet. Your hair needs something more sophisticated in formula AND great technique.

You have bone-straight hair that is relaxed once a year, gets regular protein and DCs and you use no heat tools. That cheap gel may do far more for you, with great technique now.

Healthier hair can looks great with cheaper products, combined with great technique in my experience.

When hair is unhealthy or asked to do something that is totally opposite its given structure, then you may need to spend more for ingredients that can better bridge the gap between what it can do and what you want. Then, you add in great technique and voila!

Yep.

I don't doubt that the materials in the runway are better for the hair over the long haul, but I can guarantee that if I flatironed my hair with the runway, it would look pretty similar to how it would look if I flatironed using my maxiglide or Jibere. I am completely unskilled and it shows.

Your 80/20 analysis hit the nail on the head. In order for my hair to thrive, I need a good technique and some accompanying products that will maximize the results of my technique. A good multi-use conditioner, shampoo, water, oil, and butter does my hair great.

I can't totally agree with the flat-iron portion though, because when I thought all ceramic flat-irons were mostly the same, and none would get my ends straight, that changed when I used the maxi-glide, lol. Those lil teeth make a world of a difference. I still get what you're saying though.

Overall, I think technique is definitely more important, BUT while stretching I think products are equally important. I'm 24 weeks post ( 4b/a) and I can't imagine getting through this stretch (without breakage) if I didn't have the right products.

50-50 to me. If you don't have the right products you can have breakage due to lack of protein or moisture and MY hair dosen't accept certain moisturizers.I've retained alot more by finding products that work for my hair.

Technique is hecka important to retain as well.As we all know by now you can't go ripping through your hair with a small comb or a brush and expect the best.

Both are extremely important and should be over looked or taken lightly in my opinion.

I think it's 98% technique and 2% products. I say that because I used a Dudley's conditioner once last year and it caused a setback, I'm still mad. I threw the rest of the bottle away.

I break it down like this: While they go hand in hand, technique is for hair health, products are for presentation.

For example, I don't use cones, not because they make my hair unhealthy, but because they hide damage. I'd rather see the damage and deal with it than relying on a product and thinking my hair is healthy when it isn't. It doesn't make any sense for me to be entirely dependent on any one product.

I've never had any setbacks because of a product. My hair may not like certain types, but I haven't lost any strands or have had to chop because of them. I have however been forced to chop off length because of damage due to bad handling.

95% technique, 5% products

even when I used pantene pro-v relaxed and natural (which has sulfates) my hair was thriving because for years even before coming here I had a solid consistent technique about how to handle my hair and allow it to thrive.

....my technique is where most of the keys to retention are for me

Back