Headbands that aren't silk/satin

daviine

I have been having a hard time finding an Etsy vendor that sells silk/satin headbands that I like. I don't want to buy a headband that I don't like just because its silk/satin.

Is there anything I can do to counter the drying effects of a cotton headband?

Are rayon/spandex headbands as bad?

Is there another material that might not be as good as silk/satin but not as bad as cotton?

Where do you get yours? And finally, can anyone explain how to make them? Maybe I can make my own if I can remember how to sew. I am interested in wide headbands (2 inches or more) because I am transitioning and that is how I hide my new growth.

Thanks in advance.

I think rayon would be fine - i.e. non drying. I use cotton headbands and fabric wraps sometimes with no problems but if you want to avoid cotton touching your head altogether then you could get your own silk gauze fabric and sew or glue it with a liquid stitch product to the underside of your headband. You can get the liquid stitch at a fabric or craft store.

OP what kind of headband are you looking for? My friend was giving away stuff and gave me two full silk/ satin headbands that go all the way around your head. They are too slippery and always slip back or fall out of place. I now use the satin wrapped headbands. Its the regular hard plastic ones or metal ones and they are wrapped all around in a silky fabric. They don't go all the way around the head though. I see alot of these at ULTA. you might want to go there and try to find some. The ULTA brand ones are a good price but they have some expensive $20 ones that I refuse to buy unless I have a good coupon.

I soak my cloth headbands in EVOO or coconut oil and leave them out to dry for a few days before wearing them. Since the headbands are already full of oil, they don't pull anything from my hair and actually nourish the spot where they rest.

If you don't want to soak them, you can just rub a little oil in your hands and rub it on the headbands before you wear them. It works about the same.

Back