Having a MAJOR GROWTH SPURT...may need to relax early

beana

My hair is growing in fast thick and healthy!!! I'm approaching week 8 and feel i may need to relax in the next few days. So far I havent experienced any breakage/shedding... but my scalp is actually sore when i comb and my roots are so thick. I have a clear INCH (unstretched) of new growth... I'm not complaining, but at this rate i may have to cut my stretch down to 9 weeks.

I know an inch may not sound like a lot to some, but its really dense.

I have come to change my viewpoint on stretching to something along the lines of your situation. Stretch for a certain period of time OR until a certain amount of growth is attained. So if your limit is 1 inch and you got there sooner than anticipated, I would say go ahead and relax.

My hair is growing in fast thick and healthy!!! I'm approaching week 8 and feel i may need to relax in the next few days. So far I havent experienced any breakage/shedding... but my scalp is actually sore when i comb and my roots are so thick. I have a clear INCH (unstretched) of new growth... I'm not complaining, but at this rate i may have to cut my stretch down to 9 weeks.

I know an inch may not sound like a lot to some, but its really dense.

I actually just did the same thing b/c of this, it hurt especially near the edges. I had an inch of NG after only 4 weeks so I went ahead and relaxed.

Yea, I agree that you should just go ahead and relax because the point of stretching it to avoid overlapping when applying the relaxer right? So if you can clearly see the NG, there is no need to relax more. I feel like you should wait until your scalp is a little less tendeer though.

OT: Are you taking any supplements?

You're lucky. I experienced this last month I realized I had about an inch of new growth after six weeks. That was strange to me. I ignored it, but then the hair started to break and fall out. I still ingnored my new growth, because I thought six weeks was to soon to perm. I made it to week 8 and the damage was done. My hair is so thin and light. I don't know if the growth spurt was do to the heat, the multi-vitamins, because usually I can go 9-10 weeks especially during the winter months. Please Believe me , DON'T WAIT, DO THE PERM . :nono:

Yea, I agree that you should just go ahead and relax because the point of stretching it to avoid overlapping when applying the relaxer right? So if you can clearly see the NG, there is no need to relax more. I feel like you should wait until your scalp is a little less tendeer though.

OT: Are you taking any supplements?

Hey :waves: You're right, i am going to wait until my scalp is less sore.

i'm taking a prenatal, 500mg of vitc and acidophilus daily. i also drink ultra hair thick shake 4-5 times a week. ive been on the vits for about 3 months now and just incorporated the shake 1 month ago. maybe its the vits finally kicking in!

I'm in the same boat. I did a CW today so that makes it better. I think doing CW is good for keeping the NG nice and soft. I also use a good moisturizing leave-in, focusing on the NG. I'm really trying to wait for another month or so. My hair seems to have really thickened up if not grown. I haven't lost that much hair. But I can tell when it's time for me to CW again because it will shed more and have some breakage.

Also, have you thought about joining Sareca's low-/no-manipulation challenge? I just finished my second full week of low manipulation and that helps me out a lot in dealing with my NG.

Bottom line: try not to comb your NG unless you have lots of conditioner in your hair. Try to detangle with a wide tooth comb or your fingers but try not to comb it often...only on wash (CW) days.

Good luck. I'm trying to hang in there too, at least until early November. As long as the shedding/breakage is under control. My hair has definitely thickened up a bit.

You're lucky. I experienced this last month I realized I had about an inch of new growth after six weeks. That was strange to me. I ignored it, but then the hair started to break and fall out. I still ingnored my new growth, because I thought six weeks was to soon to perm. I made it to week 8 and the damage was done. My hair is so thin and light. I don't know if the growth spurt was do to the heat, the multi-vitamins, because usually I can go 9-10 weeks especially during the winter months. Please Believe me , DON'T WAIT, DO THE PERM . :nono:

You're absolutely right... I certainly dont believe in stretching for the sake of reaching a certain amount of weeks. I normally base it on growth and manageability, so i've made the decision to relax next week.

Yea, I agree that you should just go ahead and relax because the point of stretching it to avoid overlapping when applying the relaxer right? So if you can clearly see the NG, there is no need to stretch more. I feel like you should wait until your scalp is a little less tendeer though.

I agree with this. :drunk:

Back