Having A Lawnmower Mentality About Your Marriage

Nice & Wavy

"The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish tears it down with her own hands" Proverbs 14:1 (NAS)

This is by: Melanie Chitwood

I was feeling so frustrated that my husband was not making some changes I'd asked him to make - changes that I thought he should make. As I was telling God my frustrations, He gave me a picture of how I'd been treating my marriage. It could really apply to any relationship. Picture this as I describe it.

Imagine your back yard and in one corner of the yard is a huge garden filled and overrun with weeds. You know you need to take care of that garden, but you also know it's going to take a lot of work. But then you remember you have a big John Deer lawnmower. You can just use that to plow down every weed. So that's what you do. You hop on the John Deere, plow down the weeds, wipe your hands, pat yourself on the back and say job well done. Sure the weeds will grow back, but you can just mow them down again.

Then your eye spots another garden in your yard. Not as big as the first, but also filled with tall weeds. Well, I'll just use the lawnmower again, you think to yourself. So you walk toward the garden to assess the situation, and then you notice there's already a gardener there. This gardener is working slowly and carefully. He yanks out by hand each tall weed and deposits them in a trash pile that's growing taller. Well, that's going to take a long time, you think to yourself. Let me tell him about my lawnmower. You slowly walk toward the garden, and as you draw closer, you notice beautiful flowers, hidden by the weeds. The gardener sees you and beckons for you to join Him. You stop. You have a choice. Do you join the gardener in tending the garden, or do you insist that you use the John Deere?

God showed me that I was treating my marriage and its challenges like the first gardener. I was just plowing through, trying my own methods of fixing things, and leaving decimation in its wake. Not to mention my repairs were just temporary. I sensed God saying to me, Let me be the Gardener of your marriage. Let's try my gentle ways. I will help you uncover the precious treasures in your marriage.

Talk honestly with God in prayer about your marriage. If you see that you are using the John Deere method of gardening in your marriage, confess this sin to God and ask Him to be the Gardener of your marriage.

Dear Lord, thank you for my husband and my marriage. I want the marriage you want me to have, Lord. I confess that I try to do my own gardening many times. I surrender myself, my husband, and my marriage into Your hands, Lord, acknowledging that You alone know the best way to tend to the garden of my marriage. In Jesus' Name, Amen

"The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish tears it down with her own hands" Proverbs 14:1 (NAS)

This is by: Melanie Chitwood

I was feeling so frustrated that my husband was not making some changes I'd asked him to make - changes that I thought he should make. As I was telling God my frustrations, He gave me a picture of how I'd been treating my marriage. It could really apply to any relationship. Picture this as I describe it.

Imagine your back yard and in one corner of the yard is a huge garden filled and overrun with weeds. You know you need to take care of that garden, but you also know it's going to take a lot of work. But then you remember you have a big John Deer lawnmower. You can just use that to plow down every weed. So that's what you do. You hop on the John Deere, plow down the weeds, wipe your hands, pat yourself on the back and say job well done. Sure the weeds will grow back, but you can just mow them down again.

Then your eye spots another garden in your yard. Not as big as the first, but also filled with tall weeds. Well, I'll just use the lawnmower again, you think to yourself. So you walk toward the garden to assess the situation, and then you notice there's already a gardener there. This gardener is working slowly and carefully. He yanks out by hand each tall weed and deposits them in a trash pile that's growing taller. Well, that's going to take a long time, you think to yourself. Let me tell him about my lawnmower. You slowly walk toward the garden, and as you draw closer, you notice beautiful flowers, hidden by the weeds. The gardener sees you and beckons for you to join Him. You stop. You have a choice. Do you join the gardener in tending the garden, or do you insist that you use the John Deere?

God showed me that I was treating my marriage and its challenges like the first gardener. I was just plowing through, trying my own methods of fixing things, and leaving decimation in its wake. Not to mention my repairs were just temporary. I sensed God saying to me, Let me be the Gardener of your marriage. Let's try my gentle ways. I will help you uncover the precious treasures in your marriage.

Talk honestly with God in prayer about your marriage. If you see that you are using the John Deere method of gardening in your marriage, confess this sin to God and ask Him to be the Gardener of your marriage.

Dear Lord, thank you for my husband and my marriage. I want the marriage you want me to have, Lord. I confess that I try to do my own gardening many times. I surrender myself, my husband, and my marriage into Your hands, Lord, acknowledging that You alone know the best way to tend to the garden of my marriage. In Jesus' Name, Amen
This is beautiful. Even though I'm not currently married, I felt this prayer as if I already were...with him, my husband.

Powerful.........:pray:

Tears are in my eyes...

Dearest love of mine, as your wife I am thine. Be now or future, I surrender that of you, which I know not how to understand, into the heart and hand of God our Father...who knows and heals all, in solid love. In Jesus's name, Amen and Amen. :heart2:

This is beautiful. Even though I'm not currently married, I felt this prayer as if I already were...with him, my husband.

Tears are in my eyes...

Dearest love of mine, as your wife I am thine. Be now or future, I surrender that of you, which I know not how to understand, into the heart and hand of God our Father...who knows and heals all, in solid love. In Jesus's name, Amen and Amen.
:heart2:

Now see, that's 'pillowtalk' right there and God, Our Father, will honor your request!

You are soooooooooo blessed, Shimmie and the Lord is bottling up every, single tear!

Love ya!

Thank you for this. Since renewing my relationship with God and asking Jesus to be commander in chief of my life I have had my eyes opened on how I literally committed "self sabotage" on my own marriage. Placing bandaid after bandaid over everything in the hope that the wounds would heal with the bandaid and no further intervention from me. I needed to tend the "garden of our relationship" with the same love and care that I Jesus has given "our relationship". I am trying not to be a "hasty gardener" and I am learning something new everyday. Slowing I am rebuilding my garden from the "roots up" but in the end the flowers in bloom will be beautiful :yawn:

[
quote=frizzy;3922369]Wonderful post.
[/quote] You are welcome, frizzy.

dlewisI needed this. thanks
We all do, D...we all do!

PatToddThanks...I needed that.
You are welcome, hairtwin!

lsw29Wow, thanks for posting this, I really needed to read this.
You are welcome!

RenaylorThank you for this. Since renewing my relationship with God and asking Jesus to be commander in chief of my life I have had my eyes opened on how I literally committed "self sabotage" on my own marriage. Placing bandaid after bandaid over everything in the hope that the wounds would heal with the bandaid and no further intervention from me. I needed to tend the "garden of our relationship" with the same love and care that I Jesus has given "our relationship". I am trying not to be a "hasty gardener" and I am learning something new everyday. Slowing I am rebuilding my garden from the "roots up" but in the end the flowers in bloom will be beautiful :yawn:
I love what you said here....awesome!

quote: ella :yep:THANKS!
You are welcome, ella!

Last edited:
You already know I needed that. That scripture really convicted me. :wallbash: The one thing that I know for sure is that I can't fix anything. And although I've known it all along, I've never really put into practice letting go and letting God in the area of my marriage. :nono: I'm paying dearly for riding on that John Deere for all these years. But yet, God IS!!! :yep:

Tears are in my eyes...

Dearest love of mine, as your wife I am thine. Be now or future, I surrender that of you, which I know not how to understand, into the heart and hand of God our Father...who knows and heals all, in solid love. In Jesus's name, Amen and Amen. :heart2:

And what a beautiful bride you will be...inside and out...

I'm not married adn I NEEDED IT, and I prayed that prayer. I do have a husband. God has not yet revealed him to me.

Thank you for this. Since renewing my relationship with God and asking Jesus to be commander in chief of my life I have had my eyes opened on how I literally committed "self sabotage" on my own marriage. Placing bandaid after bandaid over everything in the hope that the wounds would heal with the bandaid and no further intervention from me. I needed to tend the "garden of our relationship" with the same love and care that I Jesus has given "our relationship". I am trying not to be a "hasty gardener" and I am learning something new everyday. Slowing I am rebuilding my garden from the "roots up" but in the end the flowers in bloom will be beautiful :yawn:

Beautiful post.

I saw this title in my email alerts and I thought, "When did I read this thread?"

I clicked on the link

I read the first post

I read my first reply

I 'cried'....................... again.

:cry:

Happy Tears :yep:

This is such a beautiful thread and message. Thank you Precious Wavy for bumping this.

I saw this title in my email alerts and I thought, "When did I read this thread?"

I clicked on the link

I read the first post

I read my first reply

I 'cried'....................... again.

:cry:

Happy Tears :yep:

This is such a beautiful thread and message. Thank you Precious Wavy for bumping this.
:love2: Isn't it a beautiful message? I have been reading so much this evening and being reminded that the Lord loves me so much and He just continues to pour out in me and bless me abundantly...I am sooooooo blessed...not just in my marriage, but my health, my finances (glory), with my friends (love you, sis) my family, my church family and in the ministry! I can go on and on!!!! I can see the Lord pouring out in your life too and you are blessed abundantly!

I thank God for you and your friendship to me...it means so much to me! :love2:

:love2: Isn't it a beautiful message? I have been reading so much this evening and being reminded that the Lord loves me so much and He just continues to pour out in me and bless me abundantly...I am sooooooo blessed...not just in my marriage, but my health, my finances (glory), with my friends (love you, sis) my family, my church family and in the ministry! I can go on and on!!!! I can see the Lord pouring out in your life too and you are blessed abundantly!

I thank God for you and your friendship to me...it means so much to me! :love2:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Sis, my heart is so grateful for you and Hubby as my dearest family and friends.

You're one of the few who can keep me in check and that I regard you and Pastor A as my spiritual mentors and well as my heart family. As Christians, we all have to be accountable to one another and I thank God that you have taken me into your heart as such. I just cannot be 'out there' or here on this forum Ministering the Word without accountability. You keep me in line.

And that is not an easy task... yet you do so with such love and strength and when I'm out of line, I listen and get it right.

I thank God for you. Being on this forum is not a picnic nor is it a game. People are hurting and the only way we (you, me, and so many of our other sisters (and brothers) here on this forum)... all we know is God's Word and prayer. I'm not moving away from God. He is Truly the Only Way, the Truth and the Light...

:love3: I love you my sister. Give Pastor A a huge hug for me. I love his heart. And this scripture speaks of him to the letter:

"There is a man in whom lives the Spirit of the Holy God"........

(from the Book of Daniel)

The Holy Spirit truly lives in the heart of Pastor A. :love5: :yep:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Sis, my heart is so grateful for you and Hubby as my dearest family and friends.

You're one of the few who can keep me in check and that I regard you and Pastor A as my spiritual mentors and well as my heart family. As Christians, we all have to be accountable to one another and I thank God that you have taken me into your heart as such. I just cannot be 'out there' or here on this forum Ministering the Word without accountability. You keep me in line.

And that is not an easy task... yet you do so with such love and strength and when I'm out of line, I listen and get it right.

I thank God for you. Being on this forum is not a picnic nor is it a game. People are hurting and the only way we (you, me, and so many of our other sisters (and brothers) here on this forum)... all we know is God's Word and prayer. I'm not moving away from God. He is Truly the Only Way, the Truth and the Light...

:love3: I love you my sister. Give Pastor A a huge hug for me. I love his heart. And this scripture speaks of him to the letter:

"There is a man in whom lives the Spirit of the Holy God"........

(from the Book of Daniel)

The Holy Spirit truly lives in the heart of Pastor A. :love5: :yep:
You know we are homies for life...:grin:. Pastor A loves you too and we are always praying for you...always!

Now, we keep each other in check, cause you know....'in my mind':lol::lachen:

:love2:

You know we are homies for life...:grin:. Pastor A loves you too and we are always praying for you...always!

Now, we keep each other in check, cause you know....'in my mind':lol::lachen:

:love2:

Ahhh yea... I know. :lol: In my 'mind' too.

Woot Woot... :woot: :lol:

Back