Have you reached that "one product"stage in your HHJ?

Zay-neey

with all these new products, and our inner product junkie-ism getting the best of us.
Can we get to that one product stage?
To the point where we have

One Shampoo
One Conditioner
One leave in (if you use them)
One Styling Product
One Deep Treatment

At a time? Reaching the end of the bottle, before buying a new product?
It does take some experimenting to get there and alot of money wasted, but i im pretty close!! Its been my goal ever since i realized how much money i was spending on products.

Has anyone reached there "one-product" stage?

Yes.

I use HE LTR Shampoo, condish, and leave-in.

I seal with coconut oil and/or olive oil

Rollerset with Lottabody.

That's it. I am not interested in trying new products.

I'm pretty darn close.
I use Johnson's Baby Shampoo to clarify/chelate and Donna Marie Superlatherlicious as my regular poo. I use V05 to cowash, and Donna Marie Miracurl Detangler mixed with water as a leave-in/detangler. I use Silk Elements mixed with a few other things to DC, and have narrowed it down to perilla seed, sunflower, and wheat germ oils for sealing. I do use 3 or 4 different products for styling though...
For wash-n-gos I use IC gel, for twists and twistouts I use Donna Marie Dream Curling Creme, for braidouts or roller sets I have just started using Bronner Bros Foaming Lotion (which I now love and have to experiment with to determine whether or not I can also use it for twistouts. To moisturize, I either use Donna Marie Moisture Mist (on already styled hair) and am now trying to narrow it down between Donna Marie Super Buttercreme and Bee Mine Balanced Cream for heavier moisture.
I'm also still experimenting with heat protectants.
I'm pretty darn close though, and I'm proud of myself since I used to be a crucial PJ!

i plan on having a simple regimen by summer time with mostly natural/organic products...
right now my staples are:
shampoo: giovanni 50:50
condish: aussie moist (may or may not be replaced by tressemme naturals...its in my stash but i havent tried it yet)
leave-in: giovanni direct & HE LTR
DC: aussie 3 minute miracle (moisture...will be replaced w/ Aubrey Organics HSR and/or AOWC), Aubrey Organics GPB (protein)
oil: vatika and castor oil
styler: ecostyler for my edges (maybe replaced by aloe vera gel, i havent used AVG for that purpose yet)

i have some more oils and conditioners that i need to get rid of, but when they're all gone my reggie will consist of just the staples + ayurvedic powders mixed into my conditioners as a DT

The only thing that i am settled on is my conditioner/ dc but they reformulated it. I use suave sheabutter and almond. I have enough bottles to last for a while and on the hunt for more. In other areas i am not decided yet if i want to stick with those or not for the long run. I find myself getting bored and needing variety.

This is my ultimate goal. I may ultimately reach a "two product stage" bcuz I like some poos for clarifying and one for weekly wash. Different conditioners for detangling and another for co-washing. I never use V05 but I will always keep it on hand for these ayurvedic treats that I plan to eventually use. I believe that I will always like more than 1 leave-in, moisturizer and styler and I currently like 2 deep conditioners. If I get from the 17 of each product stage and into 2to3 my goal has been met!

Yes. Aveda is my staple product line. I try other things sometimes but Aveda is a staple in my house. I order once or twice/year and replace stuff when it runs out. I also make some things myself - this is a good way to junkism in check.

:lachen:lol...not even close..but since going back and giving just a couple things a chance I reached new levels of contentment with my hair.(1) went back to and will most likely stick with aubrey conditioners for dc and sometimes co-washing (2) bringing back the shikakai bar shampoos from time to time (3) in the last 2+ months introduced wheat germ oil(add more to aubrey cond. and more (4) :lick:steaming:lick: (5) just revisited and :lick:lovin' The JUICE (cf gold to be exact):grin:

ETA: oh and get this I think I can now see myself reaching a level of health where 1-2 products become my routine unless i'm doing a dc treatment.which i hope will be monthly only or something

Last edited:
I'm definitely not there yet. Honestly, I can't say that I will ever reach that point. I don't jump on every bandwagon, but I do like trying new products.

Like BlaqBella said "not even close!"
Seriously though, I'm getting to a stage where I won't try new oils or deep conditioners. And my leave-ins have been pretty constant. I am transitioning though so I'm getting more butters I can mix and whip up myself! Which reminds me... gotta go mix up some avocado butter!

Yes, but it's not readily available in a brick and mortar store. I also refuse to pay the online price as well as S&H.

Nope and I probaby never will. Like some of the other posters, I dont bandwagon but I like trying new things. My favorite product could leave the market or be reforumlated and I want to be prepared for that.

I got mine figured out, but I still like to experiment every now and then.

Shampoo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
Leave-In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
Styler: Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Deep Treatment: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque

Yes, JBCO (Jamaican Black castor oil) and KeraCare Mositurizing Creme Hairdress. This is it. I have been using these products for 2 years now.

Hi, my name is klowdnyne and I'm a product junkie.

I am much better than I was when I first started on this board. There are a couple of lines I still want to try, but for the most part I have gotten down to my staples. I am going to take advantage of a couple of BF sales to test a few products. I'm just waiting for midnight.

I'm very happy to say that I have finally reached a point where pj-ism is behind me. It took me three years. I got to that point when I finally purchased a Pibbs 514 a few months ago after wanting one for years. I was very disappointed. I also realized that all the fancy stuff I was doing to my hair as a natural didn't make any difference than when I was using the cheap so-called "bad ingredient" products.

The products:

EVOO
Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo
Tresemme Moisture Rich Conditioner
Organics Texture My Way Lotion
Hot Six Oil
Softee Indian Hemp
Water

I'm not gonna lie though. Sometimes I get really bored and feel like trying new products or revisiting some old ones. I don't think there is anything wrong with PJism. It's actually kind of fun. However, I'm just over it.

ETA: Forgot to say that the bulk of my PJism came from the frustration of trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. Knowing what works for my hair has greatly reduced my desire to purchase products.

Last edited:
it's hard to say just one but for the most part
Poo: ors creamy aloe and nexxus dualiste color retention
cond: roux porosity control and aphogee 2 min
leave in: He LTR or peter lamas detangling mist
DC: Yes to Carrots
But most importantly my Holy grail product is oil. Add oil to just about any hair product and turn it into a winner. Oil faves are coconut, amla, jojoba, castor, hemp for starters.

I got mine figured out, but I still like to experiment every now and then.

Shampoo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
Leave-In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
Styler: Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Deep Treatment: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque

OMG! All the bolded are my absolute faves! I need to steal ur list and just buy all of my lil products at Target and stop trying everything and live happily ever after!:grin:

I am getting to the "staples" in each category point, but having one per category is not possible for me. I have to have 2 shampoos: 1 weekly (SLS-free) and 1 chelating/clarifying, 2 conditioners: moisture and protein, 2 oils: light and heavy for summer vs. winter, and different products for styling.

Yet as I said - I am definitely getting to the point where I am using mostly 1 line (Bee Mine) and only 2 products per category, although for some it's only 1. 2011 I plan to only use 1 storage area for ALLLLL of my haircare stuff, tools included!

Shampoo: Giovanni Deep Moisture
Conditioner: Vo5 for co-washes
Leave-in: Jane Carter Solution
Styling Product: Bee Mine Balancing moisturizer
Deep Treatment: still on a search with this one but I've been using Giovanni Deep Moisture Condish
These are the staples but I will experiment as long as the ingredients are good and the product is on sale

Back