Have you had success with the Crown & Glory Method?

Have you had success using crown and glory method?

• Yes, my hair thrived!

Votes: 209 90.1%
  • No, my hair didn't like it.

Votes: 23 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am doing the C&G Method for the next three months to help thicken up my crown area. I need to make sure that I spray my braids with Infusium more often. I really don't want to wash my braids too often I think every 2-3 weeks will be good. I am spraying my scalp often with a cocktail of essential oils aloe vera juice and some vegetable glycerine. I also made a cocktail of EO and vodka. This is supposed to help stimulate and keep the scalp clean.

I do a modified crown and glory method using natural twists instead of extensions. I keep my twists in for one month, take down, hot oil treat, wash, deep condition, and retwist. I've been doing this since September of last year and I have seen a marked improvement in the growth retention and health of my hair.

I use MTG once a week and Surge Plus 14 mixed with Infusium 23 Moisturizing Formula about thrice per week. When I need moisture, I slather on a bit of Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Creme. C&G has definitely cut down on my PJism, as I have no need for extra products.

I have much success with C & G. I put Box braids in for 5 --- 7 months at a time. I'm a C & G junkie. Here are some pics.

Jan 2006

Nov 2006

These are my braids i put in Jan 2007. I'm taking them out in June. I hope to be APL by then.

Last edited:
I think the C&G method is great, but my hair line could not handle the braids. Otherwise, I think ladies can use braids for the advantage of their hair growth if they use the C&G method.

I voted NO, C&G didn't work........

I have had braids 3 times in my life and my conclusion is that my scalp hates false hair - extreme irritation happens - and my hair thins at the end, so i finally gave up braids last month.

Now i am doing twists on my natural hair and my scalp and hair love me for it.

Hopefully it will work this way.

Bublin said:
I voted NO, C&G didn't work........

I have had braids 3 times in my life and my conclusion is that my scalp hates false hair - extreme irritation happens - and my hair thins at the end, so i finally gave up braids last month.

Now i am doing twists on my natural hair and my scalp and hair love me for it.

Hopefully it will work this way.

yes ,do what is best for your health and your hair.

The C & G isn't for everyone.

i cged last year for 2 moths after cutting my hair the length it is now is the length it was back than but i had see through ends so i did a blunt cut (which on her site she said don't do) anyway the blunt cut is why my hair is so uneven one side is growing a lot faster than the other

anyway i cut it to about top of neck length and it grow very good in my c & g braids i would do it again i may for the summer .................but c&&g was not the only thing i did to it to get my length back

matter of fact if i relax in june starting from july or august i may put it in braids

I've been doing a modified C&G, meaning I'm not consistent in my routine at all. I don't think I would ever achieve the results Robin did in her website even if I followed her instructions religiously, but it's a good way for me to keep my hands out of my hair for a while.

I just jumped on the C&G bandwagon again and put in kinky twists over the weekend and I'll try to keep them in for three months. I spray every other day with a braid spray/Infusium 23 mixture, and I shampoo once a week. After I take these out, I'm going to try twisting my own hair and seeing how that works.

I am sitting here under the heating cap trying to condition my hair with ORS Mayonaise and some essential oils. I have had the braids in my hair for three weeks and I haven't washed them yet. I only put the braid spray on like twice per week because I am kinda lazy. I am trying to do better because I want to see great progress by the middle of May

shynessqueen said:
I have much success with C & G. I put Box braids in for 5 --- 7 months at a time. I'm a C & G junkie. Here are some pics.

Jan 2006

Nov 2006

These are my braids i put in Jan 2007. I'm taking them out in June. I hope to be APL by then.

Hey! my braids are about the size as yours, I got them done the first weekend in March, I planned on taking them out early June, and getting them done again, but with the growth I already have after a month, I think I may cave into a touch-up and wear it out for a month or two because it should be very close if not at my APL goal. Especially if all these aides and diet changes push my growth from .5 of an inch to 1 inch a month.

This is the second time I'm doing C&G, the first time I didn't even know what C&G was, kept it in for 5 months and boy if C&G DOES work for you, it really works like your comparisons show. I did some no-no's afterwords like, just no regimen whatsoever, slept without a scarf frequently, put in some tracks, flat-ironed, curl-ironed eew *shudders* Since putting my foot down about my hair care last Nov., giving up heat, going to the salon getting it trimmed and treated back to health, and since coming to the board in January, I know I'll really be adamant about caring for the growth I obtain so I'm so excited about it being tucked away.

Another reason this might be my last time, the longer it gets, the less I'm gonna trust people to put their hands in my hair, and the lady I went to wasn't as gentle as she should have been so, unless I braid it up myself, which I can but never want to, it might not happen :(.

[quote=Malice]Hey! my braids are about the size as yours, I got them done the first weekend in March, I planned on taking them out early June, and getting them done again, but with the growth I already have after a month, I think I may cave into a touch-up and wear it out for a month or two because it should be very close if not at my APL goal. Especially if all these aides and diet changes push my growth from .5 of an inch to 1 inch a month.

This is the second time I'm doing C&G, the first time I didn't even know what C&G was, kept it in for 5 months and boy if C&G DOES work for you, it really works like your comparisons show. I did some no-no's afterwords like, just no regimen whatsoever, slept without a scarf frequently, put in some tracks, flat-ironed, curl-ironed eew *shudders* Since putting my foot down about my hair care last Nov., giving up heat, going to the salon getting it trimmed and treated back to health, and since coming to the board in January, I know I'll really be adamant about caring for the growth I obtain so I'm so excited about it being tucked away.

Another reason this might be my last time, the longer it gets, the less I'm gonna trust people to put their hands in my hair, and the lady I went to wasn't as gentle as she should have been so, unless I braid it up myself, which I can but never want to, it might not happen :(.[/quote]

Girl i feel you if you could see how much growth i have right now you would run to take these braids out.

I'm going to post a pic so you can see how much growth i have right now. I want to take these braids out so bad but i told my self I'm not taking them out until June no matter how much growth i have. I want to be at APL so bad by June. I'm going to give Robin a run for her money.

Last edited:
I've done it twice and I had good results both times I may /may not do them again though only reason why I wouldn't is because I start school and i may not have time since putting them in takes me a whole weekend process
but if i don't i still use a modified method of C&G to do my 2 strand twists without extensions so either way yes it works

I guess I am a Dodo bird :spinning:, but I'm having a hard time grasping the Crown and Glory method. Okay...

1.The shampoo she recommends is...whatever shampoo we want to use? 2. The conditioner we should use after shampooing is the AfroDetangler?
3. For further conditioning, we should use Infusium 23 and if we have
braids use the braid spray?

Am I correct or no?

1.The shampoo she recommends is.
creme of nature detangling shampoo
whatever shampoo we want to use?
I personnay use the poo that works for my hair (actually a no poo)

2. The conditioner we should use after shampooing is the AfroDetangler?
after pooing without the braids is le kair cholesterol plus

Use the two products:African Pride or African Royale and a hair strengthener such as Infiusium 23.

Use the two products:African Pride or African Royale and a hair strengthener such as Infiusium 23.

Thank you! :kiss::kiss::kiss:

But when do we use the AfroDetangler, only when we have braids?

Woot thanks because I got a lil lost on the site too....

One quick question- how often do you wash and cond?

I am proud to officially say that i have had/am having sucess with crown and glory!! I started with my first set in the beginning of july,and i have had so much new growth that i had to take them down last week. I am currently in the process of putting them back up.I attribute my success to her method,as i have always wore braids in the past,but have rarely been able to keep my length as i never really moisturized my braids. The co washes that i do daily or every other day help soooooo much! i am not lying,my hair is doing so good. my current cut is like KELS' in your pic in your avatar,and my-oh-my are we growing baby:grin:!

I've used in unintentially in the past and gotten alot of length rentention. I told my SO last night that I wanted to braid it and he pretty much told me he told individuals are ugly on everyone and he doesn't like them. The only braids he likes are corn rows. I was like ' wha--? Then corn row your own hair then!' I couldn't believe he had that strong a reaction to it. But I'm doing in the next few weeks ANYWAY b/c I know what's best for my head and it all looks the same in the dark anyway. :grin:

OH -- my SO is white but he's from Lousiana so he thinks he knows everything about black women and their hair. Poor poor misinformed man. :rolleyes:

My hair love braids.

I do them smaller than pencil sized though because I can remove them w/o too much trama to my hair.

What I do is clip them as much as can up to the length of my hair. Then I drench the braids in CON ultra moisturizing and just let them rinse out. They just start slipping out and there are no tangles.

wow.. good tip, thanks :yep:

I didn't vote because this is my first time actually wearing braids w/the intention of growing my hair. I don't know if I'm doing C&G but I wash every 2 weeks w/CON shampoo, no conditioner and then spray on my Scurl. I re-braid every 4/5 weeks and use profectiv healthy ends during that process.

I've been wearing individual box braids since April and intend to keep wearing them until I'm fed up, that might be in 1 month or 1 year.. Don't rightly know, anyway, I'm rocking them like they are dreads..

i'm curious. how are you guys washing your braids so often without them getting fuzzy and frizzy? that was always a problem for me when i had micros.

i'm curious. how are you guys washing your braids so often without them getting fuzzy and frizzy? that was always a problem for me when i had micros.

:bump::bump:

:bump::bump:

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I'm going to braid my ddz hair next week (cornrows in the front, individuals in the back) and I want to be able to wash them w/o making them looking sloppy.:perplexed

I'm reading these posts about people not wanting to keep their hair in braids where they can't see it. I must be the only one who absolutely loves the idea of never having to brush or style my hair, and never seeing those tiny broken hairs in the sink. Waking up late with no problems, and finally getting some of those bottles out of my shower! Maybe now the drain in there will stay unclogged for more than a week at a time! :grin:

this is the only method that works for me because i don not mess with my hair. I always get corn rows everytwo weeks .. infact i am due this friday ..

I am SO wanting to do a big chop on my hair and start the C&G method. I just don't know if I'll be up to braiding my OWN hair. ON the other hand, my hair has always done well when it's been braided or twisted. I think with LHCF knowledge on top of that my hair would grow AND retain length.....

Ideally, I would be on the C&G Challenge for the remainder of my pregnancy and for as long as I was breastfeeding...that's 14 months with a total of 24 months since my last relaxer. I'd have 12 inches of 'new hair' if I did that. :grin:

Thinking...thinking....lol

Back