Have you ever used a conditioner that left your hair straw-like? Please report.

Have you ever used a conditioner that left your hair straw-like and feeling nasty?

• Yes, I was livid.

Votes: 133 90.5%
  • No, God has been good to me--never ever.

Votes: 14 9.5%

• Total voters
Optimum Care Conditioner (pre-LHCF--I have NEVER heard about anyone on HERE using that)...

It left my hair HUGE, straw like and with (what I now know) were raised cuticules...

I now use it as a shaving cream...stands the hairs right up!

Anything with too much protein does this to me (Joico K-pak reconstructor, ORS replenishing pack, LeKair cholesterol, Silicon Mix, etc). Its not that they are bad conditioners; they are just not what I need. They have to much protein for me to use regularly.

This goes for me too. :nono:

Burt's Bee Raspberry and Brazil nut:swearing:
I don't know about the rest of their conditioners, but this one is the worst conditioner I have ever tried.

ORS Pack-too much protein for me to use regularly

BUT, the ones that were just BAD are

1. Keracare Humecto
2. Mane and Tail Deep Moisturizing Conditioner
3. Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal

Just about every Garnier conditioner I've tried pisses my hair off. I'd be better off not using conditioner at all.

I bought the huge bottle from Costco and ended up throwing it away. My hair always felt weird afterward. Thank goodness for GVP conditioning balm. The only I could use it (Garnier) for was to add some oils, glycerin and water to it to make a leave-in but then I found something better :ohwell:

I don't think the conditioner you used is garbage. I believe you used it the wrong way. Rinse-outs are not much use other than to detangle.

I don't think the conditioner you used is garbage. I believe you used it the wrong way. Rinse-outs are not much use other than to detangle.

I have used other products such for 3 minutes and I use them as deep conditioners. I left it under the dryer for 10 minutes with heat and it shouldn't have drastically made the hair into straw at all. The rinse-outs were cheaper and did me right(Nature's Gate Products, etc.) There are women here that use rinse-outs for deep conditioners and are fine. When I was putting it felt weird but I ignored it--IT SUCKS AND THERE ARE NO EXCUSES!!!!

Last edited:
I have used other products such for 3 minutes and I use them as deep conditioners. I left it under the dryer for 10 minutes with heat and it shouldn't have drastically made the hair into straw at all. The rinse-outs were cheaper and did me right(Nature's Gate Products, etc.) There are women here that use rinse-outs for deep conditioners and are fine. When I was putting it felt weird but I ignored it--IT SUCKS AND THERE ARE NO EXCUSES!!!!
LOL! Alright. :lachen::lachen::lachen: It sucks!
I've used a few rinse-outs for DCs and got your results. I guess I would have to say that rinse-outs with heat make my hair feel like straw.

I bought the huge bottle from Costco and ended up throwing it away. My hair always felt weird afterward. Thank goodness for GVP conditioning balm. The only I could use it (Garnier) for was to add some oils, glycerin and water to it to make a leave-in but then I found something better :ohwell:

I give my failed conditioners to my brother. He wears his hair cut low, but likes to condition it anyway lol.

I'm surprised that so many women have problems with ORS replinishing paks. MY HAIR LOVES THAT STUFF.

I've used a few rinse-outs for DCs and got your results. I guess I would have to say that rinse-outs with heat make my hair feel like straw.

Good point, and vice versa. DCs, without heat or lack of 'processing' time so to speak, won't work as well, either.

So are you saying God doesn't love me? LOL :lachen:

ALL Pantene conditioners
ALL Herbal Essences conditioners
ALL Organix conditioners
Tresemme

Looking at my list I guess I'm doomed.

I am sorry but I am still heated about that nonsensical conditioner. The lady at the store swore by the brand. However, we have different hair--your a natural. Like I noticed that some naturals after creating this thread cannot use VO5, Suave and White Rain and I use these and I am fine probably because I am relaxed.

Maybe this might suit your hair better.:grin:

Any product that says "volume" will jack up my hair.

It strips all the moisture.

It's for yt hair, strictly, IMO.

Garnier, ever since I started mixing it 1:1 with moisture cons, and adding baking soda to get rid of buildup, I <<<33333 Garnier protein!! Without mixing, Garnier JACKS up my hair!!!

I have to have protein, but I have to use it right.

Last edited:
that damn aveda damage remedy conditioner made my hair a dry crunchy hard brittle mess. and my hair LOVES protein so yea.....never again will i use that stuff.

ORS works well with my hair as well, Ive only used it once and I left it on all night. I was pleased with the results.

Last edited:
I did a ACV rinse and my hair was not as soft as I hoped it would be, but im not giving up on it yet. It was too hard too detangle but it could have been the leave in I used as well. Idk:ohwell:

I did a ACV rinse and my hair was not as soft as I hoped it would be, but im not giving up on it yet. It was too hard too detangle but it could have been the leave in I used as well. Idk:ohwell:

That's bonkers last nite as I was fuming and pouting :whip:.
I did research and saw that if your hair feels straw-like to add moisture to it and it will change after a couple of treatments. So I am fine now.

Lessons learned in the name of hair.

Last edited:
Back