Have you ever moved to be with DH/SO? Would you? Yea or Nay

I am moving from the East coast to Texas in the fall. My So is staying here until he finds a job. He insists on having a ring and a date before moving down there so I guess we will be LDR'ing it for a while. :look:

Wow... Denmark?

How did you guys meet? Did you have to learn a new language? Were you both Americans? How did all of that happen? I am very curious.

I'd move, definately.

I love to travel and I can basically pick up and start over where ever.

I have friends that I've known since I was like 6... and I have one friend in particular who's lived everywhere from Ecuador to Holland to Malaysia to Namibia... and we've kept in touch and visited all throughout that.

I think that... no matter WHERE you move to... you can stay just as close to your friends and family if you put forth the effort. It might not be physical closeness... but I have a couple of friends who I've became CLOSER with since our relationships are more email and telephone based. A girl I went to high school with and hung out with all the time...I learned more about her since she moved to Germany than I did when I was seeing her/hanging out with her every weekend.

I am contemplating a move (eventually...might be some years) due to a guy I've met and kept in contact with. I'm stepping out of my current relationship one step at a time...and I know it will be some time until I'm ready for another commitment :yep:

Sounds like my situation. My bf is originally from the states, and wants to go back after finishing his studies in the UK, he wants me to come with him and I love him to death, I would happily go with him but I'm afraid of leaving my family behind, I think my Mom would be distraught. I really don't know what I should do, and this isn't a cross country move this is an international move :ohwell:

Sounds like my situation. My bf is originally from the states, and wants to go back after finishing his studies in the UK, he wants me to come with him and I love him to death, I would happily go with him but I'm afraid of leaving my family behind, I think my Mom would be distraught. I really don't know what I should do, and this isn't a cross country move this is an international move :ohwell:

Wow he seems to be asking a lot of you. do you intend to marry?

Kiss Kiss I would say don't do it unless u marry if u feel that strongly. About family, in the case of marriage the bible says "for this reason a man shall leave his mother and father and be joined to his wife." Not girlfriend. If you aren't prepared to leave your family, don't get married and don't go with him.

Kiss Kiss I would say don't do it unless u marry if u feel that strongly. About family, in the case of marriage the bible says "for this reason a man shall leave his mother and father and be joined to his wife." Not girlfriend. If you aren't prepared to leave your family, don't get married and don't go with him.

ITA. I am sure your mama would be less distraught and in fact happy for you if his steps were ordered this way round instead:
(1) he proposes,
(2) marries you preferably in the UK
(3) you go to be with your hubby in USA.

Nice sweet closure for you and the family:yep:

Last edited:
No I would not, unless we were flat out married, or engaged with a date set. After I got married, I moved w/DH about 3.5 hrs away from home for his job, and wondered if I made the right decision. :look: But I would have NEVER done it if we werent married. For me, being engaged woudnt have been enough, but that is me personally. I can see how being engaged would be enough to relocate.

Wow he seems to be asking a lot of you. do you intend to marry?

We do intend on getting married but in the future, i'm only 20. I'm more on the side of staying here than relocationg. I think we need to talk about his future plans and timescales. Although it will be the hardest thing to do ever, I was considering telling him that maybe we cool it & be friends b/c if he really wants to go; i don't want to stop him and it will hurt more the longer we are together if he does choose to go in the future.

His family back there want him to go back to the states but he refuses, and says the only reason he's staying here is for me - arrrrrrfghhh :wallbash:

Yep...From Cali to Tennessee 2 months ago. Talk about big jumps. He got fed up with Cali home prices and a "stuck in a rut" job and jumped ship...Thank God he landed with both feet. He moved out to Tn a whole 7 months before us to begin his new job and oversee our new house while I stayed in Cali tying up loose ends and selling our condo...I'm still homesick for my friends but for the kids, peace of mind and our new lifestyle, it was the best decision we've ever made...I just need to find some new friends:ohwell:

I moved from Missouri to Massachusetts. It was hard and I had to seriously think about it. I didn't move until I could actually support myself though. I'd do it again but only for my current SO. We're in it for the long haul..I couldn't just do that for any ol body.

-A

Back