Haters at the Salon

Kurlee

I went to the salon today and experienced a hater who was the blowdry girl. I had put my hair in 4 big twist with a leave in and silk infusion. Heffffa, because of the shrinkage thought my hair was short, but once she blew out one section and it stetched out long her face went from :grin: to :perplexed.

Then she proceeds to rip through my twists, creating knots on the ends. I had to snatch my hair from her and detangle the knots she made because she was trying to rip them off (2 - 3 inches) from the ends.:nono: She was sooooo rough and I had to continually stop her and remind her not to be.

Then she proceeds to ask what I use in my hair and then when I tell her, she's like "why do u use so much stuff in your hair?", then I said, "cuz it works" and she zipped it.

There was an apprentice watching and she was like, "wow her hair is so thick and long, how do I get my hair like that, what do I put?" the blow dry girl, with her renk self goes, "you wouldn't want hair like that, it's thick now, but if she were to relax it, it would be very thin. Trust me, you wouldn't want her hair":blush:

THEN the hussy, proceeds to hold up the last six inches of my hair and tell me that I need a trim really bad and my hair will look bad when I iron it. Then she's like how often do you trim? I told her every six months and she asked when my last blowout was and I said December, then she's like, well that's about six months, so it's time for a trim, "just my opinion".:look: I politely but firmly said no. Then when she was finished I sprang up from her chair to the real stylist who was A DREAM. He was gentle and knew his stuff about products and ingredients and he was :lick::lick::lick:. It was distracting.

All in all, the experience was pleasant but that blow dry girl pissed me off. She was also trying to pressure me to let them wash it. I NEVER let salons wash my hair, because they don't know how to detangle type 3c and up natural hair and half the hair ends up on the floor. No thanks. I will definitely go back, but she is NOT touching my hair ever again.

Anyone experienced hair hate in the salon? What did u do? I was polite but firm, but my teenage self wanted to get gutter butt with her behind.

ETA: U know this hefffer also said, well you've prally always had long hair and I said nope. This is the longest it's ever been. It would have been different if she was asking out of genuine curiosity, but there was stank face and like anger with it.:nono: Awkward.

ETA: Pics in siggy and attached (phone cam sucks)

Attachments

• progress 2.jpg
    progress 2.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
good for you for being firm! I haven't been to a salon in about 3 years, but if I go back, I need to remind my self to not take any bs like you!

BTW: congrats on WL it looks beautiful!!

good for you for being firm! I haven't been to a salon in about 3 years, but if I go back, I need to remind my self to not take any bs like you!

BTW: congrats on WL it looks beautiful!!
thanks! I only go for blowouts cuz when I do it, the blowdried hair feels like straw and the flat ironed hair is puffy. That and half way through I get lazy and tired.:look:

Ah Trini ppl LOL. I could actually hear her in my head. "Which part of Trinidad you come from? Oho south" (pronounced sout) Did she tell you that you are dougla. LOL I miss home :)

Ah Trini ppl LOL. I could actually hear her in my head. "Which part of Trinidad you come from? Oho south" (pronounced sout) Did she tell you that you are dougla. LOL I miss home :)

I was just about to say the same thing. It's sad how extra some Trinidadians can be but I do miss them.... sometimes :look:.

OP glad you stood up for yourself.

Lol @ sout! She was implying it and it was getting on my nerves.

I was just about to say the same thing. It's sad how extra some Trinidadians can be but I do miss them.... sometimes :look:.

OP glad you stood up for yourself.
in 2008, I went to a salon and the woman cut me from BSL to neck length:look:. I was devastated and didn't stand up for myself, so now, I don't play that:nono:

This is exactly why I stopped going. Some will rip your hair straight out of your head. I've had too many set back trying to find "the one". Now I only go only for trims. And believe me I watch them like a hawk and look them dead in the eye and as mean as I can tell them upfront "you take more than xyz off, I'm not paying and throwing a $hit fit with the manager in front of all these people." And I mean it too.

DD and my niece always take me with them. They laugh at me but won't go to the stylist without me. I stand over the stylist like I'm ready to beat her down if she f%^$#'s up. :fishslap:They only go for trims as well. DD hair is past bra length and niece's hair past waist length.

I don't smile. No casual conversation nothing....until that cut is done. However, I tip 25% cause I know I'm a scary ******!

This is exactly why I stopped going. Some will rip your hair straight out of your head. I've had too many set back trying to find "the one". Now I only go only for trims. And believe me I watch them like a hawk and look them dead in the eye and as mean as I can tell them upfront "you take more than xyz off, I'm not paying and throwing a $hit fit with the manager in front of all these people." And I mean it too.

DD and my niece always take me with them. They laugh at me but won't go to the stylist without me. I stand over the stylist like I'm ready to beat her down if she f%^$#'s up. :fishslap:They only go for trims as well. DD hair is past bra length and niece's hair past waist length.

I don't smile. No casual conversation nothing....until that cut is done. However, I tip 25% cause I know I'm a scary ******!
the joke is, they see the progress and the hair health and still want to hack ur hair. I don't get it:nono:

How long was your hair when fully shruken?
when it's out, it sits on my shoulders and some hangs a bit longer, but i went there in twists. The two front ones came to my chin and the back ones came a little past my nape. The two in the crown were a little shorter than the very back ones. So it really looked like my hair was shoulder length. When they were wet they hung more, but once I slapped on my silk scarf and let it dry, they shrunk like nobody's business.

Last edited:
Why do stylists want to cut our hair so badly?
I think sometimes it's jealousy and sometimes they believe the myth that hair won't grow unless you cut it. I think there is a belief/myth that certain people SHOULDN'T have long hair.

when it's out, it sits on my shoulders and some hangs a bit longer, but i went there in twists. The two front ones came to my chin and the back ones came a little past my nape. The two in the crown were a little shorter than the very back ones. So it really looked like my hair was shoulder length.

Wow! I have never blowdried or straighten my natural hair. My twists are always shruken and sometimes I feel my hair is not growibg (although I know it is).

Why do stylists want to cut our hair so badly?
Less hair=less work. Short hair doesn't take as much time (I guess) which means you get to do more heads, which translates to more money.

Then there's good old fashioned jealousy.

Sorry but your title had me :lachen: I kept picturing people hiding in corners with fine toothed combs ready to attack your head.

Your hair's pretty, but where are the blow out pix?:grin:

Wow! I have never blowdried or straighten my natural hair. My twists are always shruken and sometimes I feel my hair is not growibg (although I know it is).
I never judge my hair from when it's shrunken. I always have product in (leave in + moisturizer/styler) so I get less shrinkage and the hair doesn't curl around itself and tangle. My hair is medium/fine and very dense, so as it gets longer; TANGLE city if I don't keep it moisturized. The only time I dry it kinda raw like that, is when I'm gonna blow it out and I have to detangle like heck and DC the hell out of it or else SETBACK city. Even when I stretch my hair in it's natural state, it's not as accurate as when I get it flat ironed. My hair shrinks a little more than half it's length except for my bangs (weird/random texture).

Last edited:
Sorry but your title had me :lachen: I kept picturing people hiding in corners with fine toothed combs ready to attack your head.

Your hair's pretty, but where are the blow out pix?:grin:
aww thanks, it's in my siggy. Had another one, but I have a black shirt on:look:, so it's hard to tell the hair from the shirt. Still haven't replaced my old digital camera, so the phone pics (2) are all I've got. This phone is two years old so the pic quality is :look:. Nothing like Nonie's.

Attachments

• progress 2.jpg
    progress 2.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Same here. When I was a 100% natural, I went to my regular stylist, who 'specializes' in straight naturals, for a flat iron and trim. First, the blow dry girl tried to comb through my 4a/b hair w/a finetoothed comb. Second, my stylist was scissor happy. My hair was SL, she cut off 2-4". When I asked her how much she trimmed she told me and justified it by saying she cut of relaxed ends. I had NO relaxed ends from a previous trim. I saw 4-8months of my fantastic hair growth on the floor. And after another mishap w/another stylist (heat damage) I don't trust stylists. I wash, dc, blow dry, my own hair before I sit in anyones chair. And I face the mirror for trims-i make the stylist show me what she's cutting off. It slows it down, but its my hair and I'm paying.

ETA: Kurlee, your hair is gorgeous!

Sent from my DROIDX

Kurlee - I think I am going to stop letting the salon wash my hair as well. I am relaxed but they love to wash it and ball it all up then try and detangle it. I have gotten to the point where I cringe but I dont say anything. I just look at the broken pieces hit the floor. I actually went and got my hair washed and roller set yesterday by a woman I went to years ago that kept me at CBL for three years. Everyone was commenting on my hair how much it had grown and blah blah blah and she just sat there quite and ripped through my hair. I actually got in the car and told my hair I was sorry:ohwell: . Sorry that happened to you but your hair still looks FAB.

Ms. mimi - can you please come to the salon with me:grin:?

I wish a ***** would. Like people roll up into a salon for a stank attitude or ignorant opinions.

Looks like your WL? Congrats!

this is why i favor dominican salons because [in my experiences] i find that they dont have the whole "jealousy" thing going on. Thankfully my last black stylist didnt do all of that,she was natural with bsl-mbl hair and i was one of her only customers with long hair so she would actually treat me like iwas some kind of prize and would boast about me while doing my hair saying stuff like "mmph,look at her with all her long hair its so puuurty mmppph!" while everyone else just gave me the evil eye lol

Wow Kurlee you go girl!!!

I'm ITCHING to blow mine out I have a years worth of newgrowth on my head.

I refuse to go back to salons. It's been 3 yrs and I'm doing JUST fine. :yep:

I only go to one salon now and the owner is a family friend and knows she's not allowed to trim my hair, plus she's gentle and knows how to do natural hair. Even with all of that I go MAYBE 2X a year, if that.

BTW your hair came out gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

There was an apprentice watching and she was like, "wow her hair is so thick and long, how do I get my hair like that, what do I put?" the blow dry girl, with her renk self goes, "you wouldn't want hair like that, it's thick now, but if she were to relax it, it would be very thin. Trust me, you wouldn't want her hair":blush:

Ok??? and if you were to cut your hair, it would be short! It's not about the "if's" It's about what "is." And your hair IS gorgeous and thick. That's just called good ole fashion jealousy.

But I tell u the truth, ever since being natural and hearing these salon stories, I honestly don't think i'll EVER be going to a salon again. EVER!

ms.mimi
Girl, if I EVER go to the salon again, I'm coming to pick you up!:brucelee::badcop:

Back