Has anyone used the John Frieda "Root Awakening" products?

JusPhabulous40

I am 5 months post relaxer and am trying to transition to natural hair. I bought the Root Awakening products (shampoo, conditioner and detangler) on a whim and overall it really relieves my "itchies" and I don't see a lot of shedding but I want to make sure that I am not using something that is going to do damage in the long run.

Here's the link to the site it if would help anyone give me an opinion:
http://www.johnfrieda.com/products/...on=products&subSection=rootAwakening&lineID=9

I use Olive Oil as a hot oil treatment once per week and a mixture of LustraSilk Cholesterol/Shea Butter conditioner and water after I use the shampoo, conditioner and detangler from the John Frieda line. I usually air dry and use a few spritzes of the mix and a few drops of Chi Infusion silk drops each morning to refresh my curls.

Please feel free to be honest. I plan to long term transition as opposed to the BC and don't want to make mistakes that will stunt my growth or harm my hair.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I use Olive Oil as a hot oil treatment once per week and a mixture of LustraSilk Cholesterol/Shea Butter conditioner and water butter after I use the shampoo, conditioner and detangler from the John Frieda line. I usually air dry and use a few spritzes of the mix and a few drops of Chi Infusion silk drops each morning to refresh my curls.!

Sorry, I'm not sure about the Root Awakening... Mr. Frieda and I have a love/hate relationship, and I haven't tried those products yet. I wanna know what water butter is though please :grin:.

Sorry, I'm not sure about the Root Awakening... Mr. Frieda and I have a love/hate relationship, and I haven't tried those products yet. I wanna know what water butter is though please :grin:.

Hi Pandora.

Sorry about the Water Butter.... It's a typo (trying to study and took a break for a few mins)- Guess I shouldn't multi-task!! :spinning:

I corrected it in my posting but just in case, I use a mixture of the Lustrasilk Cholesterol/Shea Butter (it's orange) and water as a styling aid and allow my hair to air dry. I use a few spritzes of this in the mornings along with a few drops of the CHI Infusion silk drops.

Thanks for responding- sorry about the typo.

Take care.

Thanks for responding. Would you be a little more specific, please? Did it cause dry hair, more tangles or any other adverse affect?

I appreciate your help.

I LOVED this conditioner. It makes my scalp tingle and gives my hair soooo much slip. It smells AMAZING. Now that I've gone CG I don't use it anymore. But if I were to ever go back to using cones, I would run back to this.

Hi Pandora.

Sorry about the Water Butter.... It's a typo (trying to study and took a break for a few mins)- Guess I shouldn't multi-task!! :spinning:

I corrected it in my posting but just in case, I use a mixture of the Lustrasilk Cholesterol/Shea Butter (it's orange) and water as a styling aid and allow my hair to air dry. I use a few spritzes of this in the mornings along with a few drops of the CHI Infusion silk drops.

Thanks for responding- sorry about the typo.

Take care.

No prob hon- I just thought I was missing out on a new product!

I used the Peppermint Conditioner one--I don't remember the name and I found it to be good because my hair was tingling. I would use it again but they need bigger bottles. I never used shampoo.

Back