Has anyone told their hairstylist about LHCF?

gone_fishing

I have had a standing appt. with my hairstylist for like 2 years now every saturday at 10:30 a.m.

From the time I joined this site, I took a break from going to see her and I just told her that I'd call her to schedule my next appt.

So I called her this morning because I want to go in to see her next weekend.

I told her there were a few changes I was making :grin:.

I told her that I'm doing "no heat" for the next 6 months and I'm doing protective styles for the next six months as well. She seemed proud of me and said she thought that was a good idea. I also told her not only am I not using flat irons/curling irons etc. I'm also airdrying my hair now OR if i'm short for time - I will use hard bonnet dryer on "cool" setting. Again more praising from her.

I was a little surprised at how happy she sounded for me. I guess I expected some "attitude" from her because generally she doesn't like to be told how to deviate from how she does things in her salon. Now...I have a party to go to next weekend so I was thinking about doing a roller set and then an up-do (protectstyle).

I forgot to add that I don't want to use setting lotions anymore and I only want her to use wide tooth comb when she's setting my hair on rollers.

I'm thinking about also bringing the creamy moisturizer which has worked pretty well for me when I have roller set my hair before.

I also haven't told her about LHCF.

Does it sound like I'm being too pushy in my requests above and what would you think about telling your stylist about LHCF.

I have to admit I'm surprised there aren't more professional stylists on this site who want to learn more cool technigues about hair.

Also, has anyone else found that setting lotion dries out their hair?

Last edited:
I have had a standing appt. with my hairstylist for like 2 years now every saturday at 10:30 a.m.

From the time I joined this site, I took a break from going to see her and I just told her that I'd call her to schedule my next appt.

So I called her this morning because I want to go in to see her next weekend.

I told her there were a few changes I was making :grin:.

I told her that I'm doing "no heat" for the next 6 months and I'm doing protective styles for the next six months as well. She seemed proud of me and said she thought that was a good idea. I also told her not only am I not using flat irons/curling irons etc. I'm also airdrying my hair now OR if i'm short for time - I will use hard bonnet dryer on "cool" setting. Again more praising from her.

I was a little surprised at how happy she sounded for me. I guess I expected some "attitude" from her because generally she doesn't like to be told how to deviate from how she does things in her salon. Now...I have a party to go to next weekend so I was thinking about doing a roller set and then an up-do (protectstyle).

I forgot to add that I don't want to use setting lotions anymore and I only want her to use wide tooth comb when she's setting my hair on rollers.

I'm thinking about also bringing the creamy moisturizer which has worked pretty well for me when I have roller set my hair before.

I also haven't told her about LHCF.

Does it sound like I'm being too pushy in my requests above and what would you think about telling your stylist about LHCF.

I have to admit I'm surprised there aren't more professional stylists on this site who want to learn more cool technigues about hair.

Also, has anyone else found that setting lotion dries out their hair?

You don't sound pushy to me at all....you sound like a woman who wants healthy hair:yep: Now about you telling her about LHCF....zip it! J/k If you feel comfortable about telling her about us go for it.

ETA: I told mine about LHCF...she thought it was so cool.

Last edited:
Not per se, just mentioned that I don't always use shampoo for washes sometimes just conditioner, here she goes , "And why would you do that?". I was like, you know what, she is not ready for me to drop the knowledge on her today. Then she says I should come in for protein treatments, and I'm thinking to myself why in the world would I do that when I can easily do them at home. I am becoming so disillusioned with salons!!!!:perplexed

It's your hair, so why not get it done EXACTLY how you want it? I stopped going to salons because it seemed as if stylist could not follow my polite request to do XY or Z. As it stands now, I only go to get trims and touch ups. However, if my stylist has difficulty applying the relaxer to my new growith ONLY, then we will both have problems, lol.

You know I tried to talk to my stylist but she just wasn't getting it and besides as a rule I always try to do it for myself I have always put in my own relaxers, I never overprocessed or damaged my hair via the relaxer anyway other things contribute to my hair lost. I go to a salon to get a weave or braids or if I want a particular style and I bring my own stuff and I want to see everything so they see me coming. I wasn't bold or anything I was more apologectic about my sensitive scalp I put up with a lot of things I would never put up with now. From my experiences, Those stylist think they have it all in the bag and don't want to know about your new ideals, only stylist that like to learn new things and have a mind for new ideals will be willing to listen and learn. Which is so strange because in order to continue to be marketable you have to constantly learn new things.

I told mine because she's been receptive (eventually) to other things I have told her...I even gave her the web address, but I don't think that she has checked it out...not that I'm super worried, the only thing that she still does for me is trim...and once I learn how to do that myself...:grin:

Yep, she knows
She knows I get tons of tips and ideas from here.

When I come into the salon w/ pre-poo on my hair--now she knows the deal and its cool. The first time i did it--i just explained to her (shorthand) what I was doing.

Now--she is cool and even happy when i reach my mini-hair-goals! We r both anxious to see when I will reach full APL!:grin:

Yep, she knows
She knows I get tons of tips and ideas from here.

When I come into the salon w/ pre-poo on my hair--now she knows the deal and its cool. The first time i did it--i just explained to her (shorthand) what I was doing.

Now--she is cool and even happy when i reach my mini-hair-goals! We r both anxious to see when I will reach full APL!:grin:

If only more stylist were like that, open minded....

Back