Has anyone successfully switched from lye to no lye?

missbritt1986

Can you give me your thoughts?

I feel like lye just isn't processing my hair enough. I don't mind texlaxed hair, but it's getting to the point where it looks like I haven't had a relaxer at all. It's getting tough handling 2 textures. I've tried different brands with the same results. Early in my journey I used to use no lye boxed relaxers & my hair did fine. I switched because hair salons usually use lye & I wanted (what I thought) was the best for my hair. I've never had scalp issues using no lye, but lye starts to burn pretty quickly & it's annoying. They say no lye is harsh on the hair & lye is harsh on the scalp. I had just started my hair journey when I used no lye, and I had a lot of issues just learning to care for my hair, but I remember struggling with finding the perfect deep conditioner & I'm trying to remember if my hair was really dry.. Now 2 years later I have my regimen down, so I contribute that to the health of my hair not switching to lye. Still scared of dry brittle hair if I switch to no lye though.

Any info is appreciated.

Yes. I was using lye for several years and have now switched to no lye. I was worried about suffering negative side effects at first but so far i've had 3 no lye touch ups without any negative reaction (I relax every 2-3 mos). No dryness or breaking, just normal shed strands.

Part of why I switched was because I wanted to go straighter. Lye leaves me in a texlaxed state no matter what the strenght. My stylist did a corrective and I was very pleased with the results. Also no lye doesn't irritate my scalp which is a positive.

bahamababe, she did. I was skeptical at first but she reassured me it would be ok and so far so good everything turned out fine.

I did. The lye would start to burn so quickly that I would always end up washing it out sooner than I wanted, so my hair did not process correctly. I only started using lye because I heard it was better/healthier for your hair. Personally, I had thicker, healthier hair when I used no-lye so I switched back. My hair has been thriving since the switch, so I'm happy I did. I used the Just for Me Texture Softener in case you want to know.

I switched with no problems at all. Lye left my hair texlaxed- and me subsequently reaching for a flat iron more than I would like. The difference in my no lye roots and my lye ends is major. The no lye hair feels so much better! I wish I had switched a long time ago. I use CON Argan oil no lye (reg), and I love it. I don't get the whole no lye "dryness" thing either, cause my lye ends stay parched.

My one caveat......The first touch up I did with no lye, the last 5 min I ran the no lye relaxer down my ends- no bueno. They have not broken off or anything, but it just made my lye ends rough, dry and puffy. IMO, if you make the switch- stick to newgrowth only, and you should be fine.

another things is that the notion of no lye being harsh on the hair has been untrue at least in my case. Dryness isn't a problem. It's been months now and I have no noticeable damage to my lenght. In fact detangling is better because I have less tangles.

When choosing whether no lye or lye is right for you I would choose based on what your styling goals are. If you want a texturized/texlaxed look I say stick to lye. On the other hand if you want straighter hair that you don't have to use tons of heat on to straighten go with no lye.

Interesting thread. I used no lye back in the day and my hair was still quite curly. Same as it is with lye. I feel like lye leaves with me softer smoother hair. The effects of no lye from what I remember take a couple years to add up but there seems to be a lot of information on this board about how to prevent dryness.

Back