Has anyone non-black ever told you they wanted your hair?

Harina

Specifically when you're in non-straight/silky styles.

I was browsing the relationship forum and remembered a time when this German lady told me that she wished she had my hair. I believe I was wearing kinky twists at the time. It took me off guard because that was the first time anyone of another race has told me that. It's happened a few other times after as well. Yea, I think it's weird. I mean I like my hair and all but I know the overwhelming international preference is for straight hair so it always throws me off guard.

Last edited:
Yeah, it happens almost every day.

Swedes have very thin, straight hair for the most part, so they envy thick curly hair. I don't blame them... :look:

Yep, this asian cardiologist at my job tells me every time. I have to admit that she gets the side eye from other caucasian, and black females:perplexed when she comments on my hair.

Yup. My coworkers are pretty interested in my strands. They watched me transition for 25ish months and now I have one of the longest heads of hair.

Yep Russian and white and Armenian. All the time.

Its almost like they are in shock when they like your hair.

This lady at the gym asked me what I did to my hair and said with a straight face ..

Same thing you do to yours. Y'all should've seen her face. Lol

Interesting

Just making sure. I'm not just talking compliments or awe. I mean saying something like "I want your hair". "I wish I had your hair" Or asking for hair advice like the poster above.

^^^ yes and skin too. I don't really pay attention to it. I smile politely and/or say thank you and keep it moving.

Yeah it was awkward because I was in my head like yeah I know. :look:
Idt straight hair is the international want. I would say a blowout with thickness body and movement. But most people I personally know with straight hair hate it because their hair gets oily and lifeless easily.

Last edited:
Interesting

Just making sure. I'm not just talking compliments or awe. I mean saying something like "I want your hair". "I wish I had your hair" Or asking for hair advice like the poster above.

Yes, because we can do so much with our hair. Specifically, I've been told that some straighter textures are thin and can't hold a curl.

My coworker was shocked to learn that I can achieve the look I have in my avi by sleeping with my hair in a few bantu knots. I also don't use a lick of gel or hairspray and the style lasts.

Yeah, they usually say "Wow, I wish my hair could do that" and then they ask how I get my hair so crinkly.

Always get compliments/admiration when I wear hair curly. I have also found that non-black people seem to show a little more deference when hair is natural -- kind of like they view it as me saying "I'm just not that impressed with you and your hair, check mine out." (In absolute contrast, I always receive much more positive attention from black men when hair is straight.)

Yes. They love the versatility of my hair. Them whote folks at my job used to go crazy when I wore a wash n go. They told me not to ever straighten my hair again

One of my white friend always want to know what I do to get my hair curly and is shocked when I tell her nothing. She even had me try to do her daughter's hair. Never again! Hair wouldn't even stay in a bun. I am used to my hair doing what I want for the most part.

Qualifier: Only when my natural hair has been stretched with a roller set.
The compliment is usually prompted by the fact that my hair has extreme body and movement.

Hmm - now that I read your comment below, trying to call times when response were more like "envy" -- yes, a couple of times. Usually from white women with fine or straight hair.
Interesting

When I had a huge, dyed blonde afro puff, I got hands down the most compliments I have ever received on my hair. Even when I stopped dyeing it and grew about a year's worth of dark brown roots with blonde ends, people complimented me and asked me how I got the cool "ombre" effect, nearly 10 years before it was trendy. :grin:

Back