Has anyone had success using Surge with braids?

Angel54

Natural
After hearing all the rave reviews about Surge, I think that I am ready to try it. I have one question though, can this product be used while wearing braids? I have read that several ladies have experienced irritable/itchy scalp while using it with braids. Those who have had success while using it with braids could you please share your regime? Thanks
smile.gif

Hi Angel54
I have cornrows and I am using Surge with S-curl. I have not experienced any probs with my scalp. I actually prefer using Surge when wearing cornrows as it is easier to apply directly to the scalp.

I use Surge with my briads and I get dry, itchy, flakly scalp. I'm not sure if its the Surge b/c this is the first time I've used Surge and the first time i've gotten braids so I really can't say. But I use Witch Hazel and it helps with the itching. I'm doing the Crown and Glory techinque so I try not to get it on my scalp, but I spray it on my hair itself to help strengthen it.

I used surge mix with castor oil on my braids. I got so much new growth, I had to take them out on week 5

I use Surge for my braid spray and believe you me, my hair is growing like a weed, MsKibibi, try putting some type of oil in your Surge or diluting it with a liquid leave in, this may stop the flaking, after you spray follow it up with some type of oil or moisturizer, my Surge mix is Surge, Infusium 23, WGO, and peppermint oil(or whatever oil I have on hand at the moment) HTH

I use Surge with my cornrows and I haven't had any problems. I guess it varies from person to person. It can be drying, but I usually use some oil before or after I spray iton my scalp.

[ QUOTE ]
oglorious1 said:
I use Surge for my braid spray and believe you me, my hair is growing like a weed, MsKibibi, try putting some type of oil in your Surge or diluting it with a liquid leave in, this may stop the flaking, after you spray follow it up with some type of oil or moisturizer, my Surge mix is Surge, Infusium 23, WGO, and peppermint oil(or whatever oil I have on hand at the moment) HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I use it with infusium and BRX braid spray. I don't like putting oil on my scalp itself, so I use the braids spray after the Surge. It may just be having my scalp out in the open with the braids. I don't normally have flaking and itching with Sugre except the first time I used it (w/out braids) and someone suggested I moisturize after and the flaking stopped. Thats why I'm not sure what to attribute the flaking to the braids itself since i've never had braids before this. The good news is, the flakes wash out when I wash my braids.

BTW where do you buy pepermint oil? and does it tingle your scalp? (I like product that tingle
smirk.gif

I am in cornrows and I'm using Surge with Sta Sof Fro. I have a bottle of each, and then a bottle with them mixed together that I use for my edges. It doesn't make my scalp itchy and I don't have flakes.

Thanks Ladies for all your advice. I think I will try the Surge straight and if it causes irritation I'll try mixing it with some type of oil. I currently use a Rosemary-EVOO mixture for my Pre-poo massages. It is working wonders while I am transitioning, I hope it continues to work while I am in the braids.

If not I guess I could try the Surge followed by the Braid spray. I also like oglorious1 mixture of Infusium 23, WGO, and peppermint oil. Chanou's mixture of Surge and Castor oil also sounds interesting
scratchchin.gif
. There is so much to choose from
spinning.gif
I will keep you posted. I am scheduled to get my braid Friday.
clap.gif

[ QUOTE ]
oglorious1 said:
You can get peppermint oil from www.fromnaturewithlove.com and yes it does make your scalp tingle, just don't use too much a drop or two will do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you use 1-2 drops each time you put it on your scalp? or you mix 1-2 drops in the bottle of Surge?

I found that since I washed the briads I no longer get flakes while using the Surge, but I still want to try the pepermint oil.

I used Surge everyday before I got braids with no problem. Now I use it with BRX braid spray and my scalp itches like crazy and it's only been 4 days. But I really think it has to do with the braids because my scalp is also a lot more drier than usual.

I just started using surge a week ago just around my hairline which had thinned from tight extensions. I can't believe my hairline has grown back so much already, and all I did was spray it on once or twice a day. I've yet to put it on my scalp though, but it never irritated my hairline.

Back