Has anyone had any ill effects from the hood dryer?

Ladylynn

For all my weekly roller setters, have you noticed any heat damage to your hair from the hood dryer? Any dry hair or ends? Any breakage, etc? I think I'm going back to setting my hair on medium once a week, but I need to know if this will be damaging to my hair. What do you all think?

None, but I'm in twists right now...
If done properly, roller setting usually becomes the best way, behind airdrying for some, to dry the hair.
The ends are usually tucked in so they are smoothed out & not dried out as opposed to a blow dryer on wet hair.:yep:
I learned this from my Dominican Salon!:thumbsup:
I love my ION Dryer that I bought at Sally's... :grin:

Last edited:
I roller set my hair once or twice a week...I have one of the IONIC dryers for Sallys(I don't think it drys faster, mho) but anyway..I haven't experienced any breakage or adverse effects...I usually air dry for a few hours if possible, if not it is medium under the dryer for 1 and a half or two hours. I towel dry my hair and some serum and I use the purple and red magnetic rollers from Sally's. My hair seems to respond more to rollersets then buns so I rollerset/shampoo until the new growth is out of control

I haven't had any ill effects and I use my hooded dryer A LOT. I work out rigorously 5 times a week and I HAVE to wash my hair. I wrap it and stay under the dryer for an hour. Then I let it airdry overnight.

Mariaat40 said:
I haven't had any ill effects and I use my hooded dryer A LOT. I work out rigorously 5 times a week and I HAVE to wash my hair. I wrap it and stay under the dryer for an hour. Then I let it airdry overnight.
How often do you wash your hair per week and how often do you use the dryer and on what setting? I also work out a lot and trying to only wash my hair once a week but the itching is getting to me.

Also, where did you get your earrings? They are cute.

tryn2growmyhair said:
How often do you wash your hair per week and how often do you use the dryer and on what setting? I also work out a lot and trying to only wash my hair once a week but the itching is getting to me.

Also, where did you get your earrings? They are cute.

I do as well. And wanted to know the same thing.

ah no and I have been using a hooded dryer for well over a decade. You may very well get ill effects if your using products incorrectly.

The reason I ask because when I really started to think about it, my hair is usually so close to the heat holes under the dryer. So if the hair is directly hitting my hair, wouldn't that be the same as if I had the blow dryer positioned to directly hit my hair. My hood dryer is 1875 watts and so is my blowdryer. Now mind you I know that blow dryers are damaging, that's why I never use them. I just trying to figure out if the hood dryer would be just as damaging. I know it shoulds crazy, but it seems as if blowdrying would actually be better because you are consistently moving the blowdryer around. On the other hand, when your under the dryer the heat is going in one direction down on your hair. Some one please help me to understand. I just cut off most of the dead ends of my hair and would like to start over. I definitely don't wanna destroy what I'm doing with heat. I would usually air dry, but I think that sleeping in rollers has helped to thin my hair. I have 4b very weak thin hair so every little thing I do to it snaps it like a twig.

Ladylynn said:
The reason I ask because when I really started to think about it, my hair is usually so close to the heat holes under the dryer. So if the hair is directly hitting my hair, wouldn't that be the same as if I had the blow dryer positioned to directly hit my hair. My hood dryer is 1875 watts and so is my blowdryer. Now mind you I know that blow dryers are damaging, that's why I never use them. I just trying to figure out if the hood dryer would be just as damaging. I know it shoulds crazy, but it seems as if blowdrying would actually be better because you are consistently moving the blowdryer around. On the other hand, when your under the dryer the heat is going in one direction down on your hair. Some one please help me to understand. I just cut off most of the dead ends of my hair and would like to start over. I definitely don't wanna destroy what I'm doing with heat. I would usually air dry, but I think that sleeping in rollers has helped to thin my hair. I have 4b very weak thin hair so every little thing I do to it snaps it like a twig.
If you're worried about the strong heat, try drying under the lowest heat setting or better yet, under the cool setting...
That way, you can concentrate on strengthening your hair & not feel worried about the hot hair damaging your hair!
-HTH:look:

Ladylynn said:

I think that a hooded dryer is considered to be diffused heat. Also, with a hand dryer u are pulling and tugging on your hair instead of allowing it to dry in its place. I think the hooded dryer is much healthier than a hand held dryer.

i use mine once or twice week i have a short cut so it's a must so make my hair lie flat on the side and back, i use medium heat and aa good wrapping foam mixed witha leave-in and i have had any damage

Back