Has anyone gone to a white salon/stylist?

twilight80

Has anyone gone to a white salon or stylist and they were able to give you good results? Actually my real question is how do you find a good stylist? What do you look for before choosing to try out a stylist or is it all a trial and error type thing?

I live in Colorado and can't find anyone to style my hair. I just need someone that can style. I need to take some headshot pictures. I'm doing all my haircare at home but I suck at styling my hair. I actually went to a white stylist one time at JC Penny. She did a relaxer for me and it was the best relaxer that I had. She moved away about 3 years ago though :sad:. There are black stylist here but the majority of them do it at their homes and I don't want to get my hair done at somebody's house. Then the ones that I went to that had a shop, have their kids running around, they stop working on my hair to do other things or they are talking on the phone while doing my hair.

Just wondering if I should broden my horizons. I thought about trying this salon and spa that uses all natural products. Oh and if I try a different salon is it okay to give them a heads up that I'm black. This may sound funny but I don't want to make an appointment, show up and they are like ummmmmmmmm...

Last edited:
I have, with a stylist who made a point to learn how to do ALL types of hair.

The point is to find a stylist who knows how to do your hair type REGARDLESS of their race. :yep:

Knowledge is knowledge no matter what color the vessel is.

It may be hard to find someone who is comfortable with our hair type where you are, but race isn't so much the issue as experience. :perplexed Though those outside the race have less of an inclination to BECOME experienced with our hair type. :look:

That's the "rub" I suppose. :ohwell:

I hope your search proves fruitful and free of set backs! :yep:

I went to this salon/day spa for a massage and while I was there I asked if anyone of the stylist were familiar with african american hair and one of the ladies stepped up and said yes. Man I tell you when she cut my hair it was fierce. It had so much swang and movement so I fired my old stylist and only went to her for 3yrs until I moved here to Guam.

In MY experience black stylist can style but cant do a trim without cutting 10 in. off. My white stylist did just as I asked and when she washed she only used the pads of her fingers at my old stylist she darn near scratched my brains.

But again everyone is different I may find a black stylist I like here, its all in the training.

Hell to the naw. I give the man enough of my money with clothes :lachen: that is enough!!

But a....good luck with that. You better tell them you are black beforehand so you just don't show up and they try to fake the funk! They will be more likely to tell you the truth over the phone. If they are money hungry, they might not care and just wing it. I rather get my hair done at somebody's house that knows what she is doing rather than at a salon with someone who could potentially miss one step and mess my hair up for eternity.

I don't trust it, but good luck. Just don't end up bald :grin: jk...you won't. But just make sure you follow what they are doing very carefully the first couple times. Don't fall asleep in the chair!

I go for precision cuts. There's this salon in town that's well-known for the hotness of their cuts!

I went to an Aveda concept salon where I live. The stylist cut my hair. I'm telling you, it was one of the best hair cuts I've ever gotten. :yep: When I saw my natural hair stylist she was so impressed with how my hair looked. :yep: That woman single-handedly renewed my faith in White hair stylists, since I had one when I was a kid that jacked me up every which way. :nono: I made sure to let them know ahead of time that I am a Black woman with extremely tight coils.

I'm on a budget so I'm always up in someone's hairschool. I've only had one black student do my hair and she did an awful job, but all the white and latina ones have done an awesome job.

I made an appointment to go back to the one who did my hair last. She said there's a black woman that comes in weekly to have her straighten her hair and one of the black students forces her to flat iron her natural hair and taught her how to get the roots straight and everything.

When I make an appointment they know I'm black, with my name there's no way not to know.

Yup, hands down the best hair styling & salon experience I've hever had! I'd go all the time if I could afford it.:yep:

Hell to the naw. I give the man enough of my money with clothes :lachen: that is enough!!

But a....good luck with that. You better tell them you are black beforehand so you just don't show up and they try to fake the funk! They will be more likely to tell you the truth over the phone. If they are money hungry, they might not care and just wing it. I rather get my hair done at somebody's house that knows what she is doing rather than at a salon with someone who could potentially miss one step and mess my hair up for eternity.

I don't trust it, but good luck. Just don't end up bald :grin: jk...you won't. But just make sure you follow what they are doing very carefully the first couple times. Don't fall asleep in the chair!

It's really not that serious. Honestly most of the high-end/white salons are more attentive to your hair needs and overall more professional than the people that actually have our hair type...for whatever reason that may be :ohwell:

Has anyone gone to a white salon or stylist and they were able to give you good results? Actually my real question is how do you find a good stylist? What do you look for before choosing to try out a stylist or is it all a trial and error type thing?

I live in Colorado and can't find anyone to style my hair. I just need someone that can style. I need to take some headshot pictures. I'm doing all my haircare at home but I suck at styling my hair. I actually went to a white stylist one time at JC Penny. She did a relaxer for me and it was the best relaxer that I had. She moved away about 3 years ago though :sad:. There are black stylist here but the majority of them do it at their homes and I don't want to get my hair done at somebody's house. Then the ones that I went to that had a shop, have their kids running around, they stop working on my hair to do other things or they are talking on the phone while doing my hair.

Just wondering if I should broden my horizons. I thought about trying this salon and spa that uses all natural products. Oh and if I try a different salon is it okay to give them a heads up that I'm black. This may sound funny but I don't want to make an appointment, show up and they are like ummmmmmmmm...

yes and she trimmed my hair very nice and wrapped it. it came out very pretty.

It's really not that serious. Honestly most of the high-end/white salons are more attentive to your hair needs and overall more professional than the people that actually have our hair type...for whatever reason that may be :ohwell:

Weird huh, I've found the same thing. I guess if you look at the big picture, many black women have jacked-up hair because of stylists so I don't know why it should be weird. I guess, even after all I know, I still expect someone that looks like me to do better than someone who doesn't.

Okay, 1/2 of my post was satire lol. And negative. It's all about personal experience. To me, it is that serious when you're talking about anyone who has the ability to damage your hair. . .esp. if you're on a forum like this to begin with. I firmly believe that when it comes to white and "other" salons, we tend to do our research on them and really investigate their practices b/c of uncertainty. With "our" salons, we kind of take it as a given that they know how to do our hair when, in actuality, we should be putting the same amount of time researching them as well.

Honestly, I hate this rep that black stylists/salons. . .actually black professionals period. . .tend to get that they are not professional. I think it moreso has to do with people (clients) and their personal tolerance level. The only time I've had to deal with an unprofessional stylist was once when I was like 8 or something and didn't have control over who did my hair. And once she messed up, my mom deaded that one pretty quick and took her time in finding me another one. As a result, after that incident (which got solved pretty quick thanks to mommy :grin:), I've never had a black stylist damage my hair. I know tons of people who haven't either. The thing is the majority usually don't go looking for hair sites so it's rarely reported online. Not saying it's good or bad but it just is.

I personally wouldn't do a white salon b/c my Dominican stylist is in one of the ultra-high end ones and I've seen them try to pull off things with their hair for black girls hair and I just KNOW it didn't end well :nono: I'd rather go to a good stylist's house than take a chance but that is just me. Support black businesses, why don't you! Other than the salon basics (wash, condish, cut), there are different processes. Just like all white dermatologists don't know ethnic skin care, not all white stylists know ethnic hair care. If they are not trained adequately, it just won't be good.

I love for white stylist to trim my hair. They dont seem to be hater-ish (is dat a word). When I ask for a trim............i get a trim.

This may not be the same; but my stylist moved to a white salon. The first thing I noticed is it is REALLY NICE. LOL! No broken bowls, nothing falling apart, no walls caving in, no leaks..lol. I mean it looks like Sheer Genius. For color; they have an official color mixing area..it's so cool. The dryers come down out of the ceiling; super high tech. The bad things I noticed were that the "others" stare at you like there is no TOMORROW! I felt uncomfortable (like they were like ...what is she here for..).. Also when I got my relaxer a few weeks ago; it seemed that they were amazed...and she had to open a window for ventilation ..they keep saying "whats that smell".. (like they don't get perms..whatever)...

I had a white stylist for years (we kinda fell out so I'm not talking to her anymore) and she was the best. She turned me on to Colourshines, did my first cellophane ever, did my relaxers and later on texlaxers, trims and kept my hair HEALTHY. She wasn't heat crazy and was always about hair health. Even after I started doing my own hair I'd call her for input/advice and tips and she never acted funny. I put her up on some products too, she was always open like that. I would still go in for trims too-for free :grin:!

I would say for any stylist, no matter what color s/he may be, always do your own research. Most times, word of mouth is the best. Ask around and if you find someone you're interested in, contact them and questions. Let them know you'd like to see some of their work in an album or in person before they get in your head, especially if it's a chemical service.

Not to be funny or anything but it'll be a LONG a$z time before I set foot in another black salon. Just my preference based on my own experiences. Doesn't mean I automatically exclude, they just aren't on the top of my list.

I have. In general, I find them more open to ideas and more apt to listen to exactly what you want. They don't take as many liberities with your head.

I've been to an Aveda salon a couple times, and my white stylist hooks me up!! :grin: When I called to make an appointment, I asked if anyone was good with "textured" hair. They gave me a name, and booked my appt.

She trimmed me up with a style that lasted forever, and was gentle with my blowout and flatiron. She also told me she used Affirm relaxers if I was interested. The only downside is they don't rollerset.

One day, a few years ago, I saw my bff's hair and it was FIRE!!! Not just the usual 'straight from the salon fresh' but beyond gorgeous. I asked her where she went and that's when I booked my first appointment at Vidal Sassoon. I did not believe that a non-ethnic:look: person did her hair that well.

I think I had stretched for 4-5 months, so it was a lot going on with the new growth...no complaints AT ALL!!! She actually complimented me on how soft my hair was :grin:. I swear that was the best relaxer and cut I've ever had.

Yep and she was the absolute best one I've ever had. My hair was beautiful. But I was young and dumb and trying to save my parents money and went to a cheap cow that didn't have hair, nor did her daughter have hair..... and ALL of my hair fell out by the age of 13. Good times.

Weird huh, I've found the same thing. I guess if you look at the big picture, many black women have jacked-up hair because of stylists so I don't know why it should be weird. I guess, even after all I know, I still expect someone that looks like me to do better than someone who doesn't.

This was one of my problems as well. It seems like everytime I went to someone to do my hair, their own hair looked bad. So it's like why would I want you touching my hair if you can't take care of your own.

I have...you have to find a reputable salon that has good reviews and specializes in ALL hair types. When you call in you have to be very blunt about ur hair type. When I call in the first thing I ask is do you have stylists who SPECIALIZE in ETHNIC hair. If they say yes, then I go on to tell them about my hair. I say ok, I have very thick, extremely coarse hair. Is this something that whatever stylist they have suggested can handle. If they say yes then I schedule a consultation. Go in ask a lot of questions and look at the other clients hair. Doesnt matter if they are white or what, if their hair is swangin and the place looks clean and reputable and you feel comfortable with the recommended stylist then make an appointment.

In my own personal experience, I prefer going to white salons to get my hair cuts. I get dry cuts because I prefer those as well but I prefer white salons because they cut my hair exactly how I want it and they take off exactly what I say to take off. Everything else I do myself and have for yrs. The few times I have gone to ethnic salons, I have gotten horrible haircuts or just way too much taken off, or they are just too rough and have me sitting around for too long.

I just wanted to clear up that I'm not against or talking bad about black hair stylist. It is just in my situation (living in a majority white town) There are not too many options for me and I just wanted to know if I should be open to going to a white stylist. Thank you all for telling me your experiences.

Yes. Once. When I was seventeen. I don't remember why. Now that I think about it WHY?:lachen: Oh, I remember. :spinning: I didn't know the salon was white. It had advertised its specialty as being weaves and I assumed....well wrongly assumed... Anyhoo, I remember walking in & feeling shocked that EVERYONE was white, then feeling highly self-conscious. I used to have a massive amount of hair & all these white stylists were staring at it. I remember wanting to flee when one of the stylists, male, came flying to me. I told him I wanted my hair trimmed.

I felt like I had been abducted by aliens who I think did wash my hair & dry it, but it's hard to remember the experience becuz I truly felt like an amoeba on a magnifying glass.

Well he trimmed. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief when my hair seemed to be in a reasonable style. Little did they know that I also got a similar reaction when I went to a black salon --I mean the staring at my hair, except they would say,"You have a lot of hair...you have A LOT OF HAIR", each time getting louder & louder, till I would want to flee from them as well.

The outcome at the white salon? The best trim I ever had in my life. My hair was healthy as heck. I don't know how to explain it, but that trim was far better than any other trim I had had at a black salon.

I never went back. Why? They were all very nice, did their best to make me feel comfortable. The trim was bangin' but I felt too out of place.
I should go back tho. My hair needs a great trim:grin:

It is very interesting to read everyone's experiences. Being a lightskinned woman myself, I have to say that I've honestly had nothing but BAD experiences at white salons! Reason - My hair is extremely delicate and fragile and once wet, it mattes up into a big ball of knots. When dry, it's still unmanageable, I guess, to people who are used to dealing with different hair types.

In the white salons, I have literally been refused service a few times due to my hair type. When I have received service, I often had three women trying to detangle my hair... ending up with huge clumps on the floor... and then having the women give up in the middle, sending me home with a knotted mess on top of my head. They always insist they have never seen nor touched hair like mine, and said they would "pray" for me to have "better" hair.

On the other hand, I went to a Filipina and she said right off the bat, "I know exactly what to do!" Half hour later, my hair is trimmed, straight, and smooth. I also go to Indian salons, where they are gentle and use natural products. They were frightened of my hair at first, and asked, "Are you Irish? Is this Irish hair? I have never seen it." (I'm not Irish.)

Overall, it's funny how although I fit in race-wise at the white salon, I regret each and every appointment I make at them. The Filipina woman is my hero. I feel like ethnic women take better care of my hair. Maybe it's because people are more careful when they are dealing with a hairtype other than their own... which may explain why so many of you have had great experiences at white salons, and why I only have great experiences at ethnic salons!

Back