Has anyone ever pressed their TWA?

Calia001

I did my BC in February and I havent given myself time to embrace my new length. As soon as i BC'd, i threw in yarn braids for my own comfort, i wasnt in the mood to answer questions from my co-workers about why I did it. (some have taken to telling me which hairstyles they prefer on my head, even gone as far as to jokingly say i now look ugly with the style they dont prefer:rolleyes:)

I'm quitting my job and going to ATL for spring break and I was originally considering redoing my yarn braids to keep up the protective styling

But I always find myself playing with my texture on the edges (the beedabees)

I've never had my hair THIS short before, and i havent given myself a chance to play with styles. I've been heavily watching MsVCharles on youtube (love her) for some ideas http://www.youtube.com/user/MsVcharles#p/c/5594CFB8DE9600B5/12/9SQO11Xej14

but in case styles like these dont work out, i may consider pressing it a la Nia Long.

2006-short-hair-style-pictures-14.jpg
Nia-Long.jpg

has anyone ever done that ?

I personally didn't but I doesn't seem like a good idea. She looks like she has a relaxer. I would be scared I'd burn my scalp. Maybe you could slick it back with gel instead.

yea she most likely is relaxed in that photo, my ng is a little too high to just slick back, it'll most likely curl up like the video i posted if i did that

People feel like they can say and do what they want to you that comment made me mad.. Go as far as to say what hairstyle you look ugly in.. Joking or not that is not cool. I am not natural yet by the time I am I will be working from home and there are a lot of ladies at my job transitioning and that are natural..

Maybe you can wash your hair and DC after than put some gel on your hair enough to slick it back and you might have to use a brush to get it slicked back and tie a scarf over your head and see what it looks like the next day it might have some waves in it..

yea those comments were like .. ok? Like please, go iron your hands if you truly believe i style my hair for YOUR comfort and desire.

Ill try both, the slick back and the press

your hair is soooo lusciously beautiful btw

Thank You Calia001 I am going into my 15 month and I am running out of options.. Want to get braids or kinky twist.. but I am so cheap.. lol and it cost so much to get them done professionally and have my edges ripped out..

What's your hair texture? If you're a 4a, if you flat iron it a little bit to help it stretch out some, then slick it back with some gel, it may create waves. That could be cute.

Oh yeah, and f*** your coworkers :yep:

Those comments probably won't be the last. I get them all of the time and I've been natural 8 months now. You'll just have to shrug them off and be confident in your decision. It's ok if that takes time.

I was in your exact same position. I bc'd (see siggy) and was looking like a big bowl of WTF. I immediately went to kinky twists. I spent 2 months in those before I was ready to debut my natural hair. I love braids and kinky twists, so those are my go-to styles when I wasn't comfy with my shrinkage. Now, I go to them when I'm lazy. :yep:

I say give your hair a chance before you start pressing it. Protective style or washn go or whatever. I don't know how good that style will last being that short.

i think you need to wait on trying to press your hair that short. try a wash and go, then tie it down with a scarf.

Nia is most likely relaxed and it looks like her hair is REALLY short in those pics, is your TWA like 1/2"? Because that's the length of hair I'm seeing (correct me if I'm wrong somebody)...if it is, you can try a soaking wet wrap with pre-tape and LOTS of gel and sit under a dryer, no need for heat! But I'm not sure your texture, or length, so this may not work...just a thought.

You can try using perm rods (aka cold wave) on your TWA. I did my mom's using these and her hair was a helluva shorter than yours. I just bought the teeny, tiny perm rods and some end papers and we were good to go.

The curls eventually loosened and she got a wavy curly look as the days went by.

Setting lotion + perm rods = worth a try!

ETA - almost forgot. With a TWA, please don't straighten, be patient and tell the loud mouth cluckers to kick rocks, I mean that!! Too many people minding your business instead of their own means someone needs to get a life or get laid!

Good Luck girl!

Last edited:
Thank you for all your suggestions, ill definitely do the tie down, slick back thing.
I think im 4b, sometimes i feel like a 4a. i have not a clue because literally the day i bc'd, i threw in yarn braids.

But once again I thank you all for your encouraging words, and like i mentioned above im quitting my job anyway (very dead end, and im tired of training people who go on to make more than me) so iim not straightening for them, just experimenting :)

Bumping. . .

Are there any DIY pressers? I want to press my TWA for Christmas. I should have 10 months of growth by that time.

Bumping. . .

Are there any DIY pressers? I want to press my TWA for Christmas. I should have 10 months of growth by that time.

I pressed and curled when I was about a year post BC. I looked like James Brown by the head. :nono:

James-Brown-Gravity-298810.jpg

I washed my hair and was back to a WnG :lol:

Meh... I'm not against straightening. Generally, I'll flat iron when I feel like it at low heat.

That Nia style looks rough...and yes she's probably relaxed. Fine natural hair aint gonna look right with regular gel, just like those links someone posted. Also, the slightest moisture in the air and poof! back to the 'fro... so...

THe only thing that lays down my natural 4/b fine hair is a modeling pomade gel...basically something you use on your edges, but use it all over. And on BONE DRY hair. Doesn't even work on damp. This one laid me down all day--and resisted reversion.

La Bella Defining Pomade
thumbnail.aspx

But buyer beware---my hair didn't like it after a while (minor breakage). But mine's finicky. Yours might respond better.

Actually, I still got some of that left...might flat iron and try that Nia look myself after next wash. hehehe thanks for posting it!

Back