Has anyone else gotten lazy with their hair care regimen?

UniquelyDivine

I know I can't be the only one...

I have fallen off something serious! I JUST started getting back to washing my hair regularly and my moisture game sucks butt right now. I haven't trimmed my hair in months and my split ends are running rampant!
I've also transitioned out of pure laziness and the difference in the textures has wreaked havoc on my hair, my edges are full but broken off from wearing a high ponytail for months on end, I'm thinking about cutting all this mess off and starting fresh but I'm a punk and addicted to length!

I need an intervention....

No Ma'am you are not the only one.:nono:
During the winter months I have little to no motivation to deal with my hair. I just want to wash, condition, moisturize,seal and put on a hat:look:.

Being lazy caused me about 3 inches of growth last winter. It was a setback I blamed on braidouts and stretches, when I realized, I had stopped my twice-a-week conditioning (essential for my new growth). I just recently had this revelation and could kick myself.

I thought I was alone with this one.. I went away to visit family and flat ironed every other month and Im trying to get back to my regular schedule but I just feel so lazy I just through it into one.. Im going to try and motivate my self to rollerset this weekend.

I think we've all gone through it at one time or another over the course of our HHJ. I know earlier this year, I totally neglected my hair, and ultimately I had to pay the price for it. I was hiding my hair, but that was just about the only thing I was doing (not much moisturizing, little to no sealing, impatient detangling, you name it). I didn't feel like dealing with my hair, what with all of the other stressful events that were going on in my life.:nono:

Thankfully, I've snapped out of it. However, had I taken better care of of my hair, I would be at WL instead of barely BSL. :ohwell: Can't do anything but move forward, and bring it in 2012.:grin:

You know when I was relaxed, I used to wash twice a week every week but now as a natural I wash every 2 weeks or 3 weeks. I hardly moisturize and my hair tells me by breaking off. When I'm in braids it's even worse. I hope to do better next year so I can reach my goals and also since I'm slowly heat training.

I think we've all gone through it at one time or another over the course of our HHJ. I know earlier this year, I totally neglected my hair, and ultimately I had to pay the price for it. I was hiding my hair, but that was just about the only thing I was doing (not much moisturizing, little to no sealing, impatient detangling, you name it). I didn't feel like dealing with my hair, what with all of the other stressful events that were going on in my life.:nono:

Thankfully, I've snapped out of it. However, had I taken better care of of my hair, I would be at WL instead of barely BSL. :ohwell: Can't do anything but move forward, and bring it in 2012.:grin:

I've guilty of the same things...my hair has been bone dry and I rip combs through my head even though I know better..SMH.
Improving my hair care will be one of my main goals in 2012.

I thought I was alone with this one.. I went away to visit family and flat ironed every other month and Im trying to get back to my regular schedule but I just feel so lazy I just through it into one.. Im going to try and motivate my self to rollerset this weekend.

You are DEF not the only one!

No Ma'am you are not the only one.:nono:
During the winter months I have little to no motivation to deal with my hair. I just want to wash, condition, moisturize,seal and put on a hat:look:.

That's way more than what I've been doing! I wasn't washing, moisturizing or sealing :nono: I'll be doing good if I can get back to doing that on a regular basis.

The only time I fall off is when I get sick with a cold, since I don't want to get my head wet. Do anybody wash their hair when they have a cold or wait it out until they get better?

Hey Bnster:wave: I wash my hair when sick...I'm one of those that like to just sit on the floor of the shower and let the hot water turn cold when I'm sick:look:

I haven't gotten lazy. I've always been lazy. Never been one to put too much effort into haircare. I don't think I spend more than an hour a week on my hair (and that includes two washes!)...which is why I'm always so chuffed when I see progress because I don't do ish.

well i wuddnt say lazy, but Ive got into a KISS groove.
sunday is my hair day now, get up early wash, steam, twist

when I was relaxed and up to about 6 months ago I did my hair 2x a week, I just dont have the time or patience for that again.

Hey Bnster:wave: I wash my hair when sick...I'm one of those that like to just sit on the floor of the shower and let the hot water turn cold when I'm sick:look:

Hi Nix08 :grin:, I am afraid to get or worsen a head cold. My cold is finally almost over so I am currently hot oil steaming my hair, so I am back on my game. Yes I love the hot water down my back and body, but don't forget the cold rinse we need to do at the end. I shudder to think of it when I am sick.

I got lazy with my hair care regimen for over a year and my hair suffered. I would have been at least at MBL by now had I kept going and jumped on every band wagon imaginable.

My hair loves simplicity and flourishes when I do very little to her. I've discovered that she doesn't care for all the products out there - just a mere few. The few I know she likes, I made them my staples. I am not gonna be trying out this and trying out that anymore.

I know vitamins are a major part of my regimen and I make sure that I remain stocked up and take them religiously. In the last 12 weeks of taking better care of my hair again, I noticed that I got a whopping 2.5-2.75 inches of new growth. I know because of the gray hair growth coming in after my hendigo treatment. It was awesome to see this kind of progress in such a short period of time and I know that I definitely can NOT stopnow.

I deep conditioned on Sunday and now I am doing an ayurvedic gloss paste with primarily kalpi tone, bhringraj, brahmi, amla and tulsi powders mixed with a little heenara oil and Keracare Humecto conditioner. I am doing a DC with it so I'm sitting for 20 minutes under my dryer.

I haven't gotten lazy. I've always been lazy. Never been one to put too much effort into haircare. I don't think I spend more than an hour a week on my hair (and that includes two washes!)...which is why I'm always so chuffed when I see progress because I don't do ish.

I need to copy you then! I haven't seen progress in months.

I got lazy with my hair care regimen for over a year and my hair suffered. I would have been at least at MBL by now had I kept going and jumped on every band wagon imaginable.

My hair loves simplicity and flourishes when I do very little to her. I've discovered that she doesn't care for all the products out there - just a mere few. The few I know she likes, I made them my staples. I am not gonna be trying out this and trying out that anymore.

I know vitamins are a major part of my regimen and I make sure that I remain stocked up and take them religiously. In the last 12 weeks of taking better care of my hair again, I noticed that I got a whopping 2.5-2.75 inches of new growth. I know because of the gray hair growth coming in after my hendigo treatment. It was awesome to see this kind of progress in such a short period of time and I know that I definitely can NOT stopnow.

What vitamins are you using?

I haven't gotten lazy with my regimen in terms of washing but I have gotten lazy with my vitamins because I've been busy with Final exams. My last one is tomorrow so hopefully I can get back on track.

What vitamins are you using?

The major vitamins I am taking are:

-Nature's Way Alive Once Daily Women's Ultra Potency
-Jarrow Formulas B-12 Lozenges - 5000mcg once every 3 days
-Carlson Labs Omega 3 Fish Oil - 1000mg
-Carlson Labs Vitamin E - 800mg a day
-Now B-Complex - 100mg a day

My actual hair vitamins:

-Phyto Specific Cap Energy Hair and Nail vits - I will be switching to Hairfinity when these run out. I already have a 6 month supply ready to take early next year.
-Now Silica (500mg x 2 a day)
-Jarrow Formulas Biotin (5000mcg x 2 a day) - Will be switching to the Now brand when this is out. I love Now Vitamins and will try to buy all my vits in this brand as I replenish them.
-Now Pantothenic Acid - 500mg

I take these 3 together always on an empty stomach morning and night:

-Neocell Collagen (powdered form but switching to pill form next year - I hate the powder)
-Now Hyaluronic Acid (100mg x 2 day)
-Jarrrow Formulas MSM (2000mg twice daily)
-American Health vitamin Ester-C (2000mg x twice daily)

I also take calcium and vit D3. I space my vitamins out throughout the day and I since I eat like 4-5 times a day, it's easy to take them or I'll open up the capsules and add them to my green smoothies to make it even easier.

See, I have an actual vitamen regimen that I will not neglect because it is working for me along with drinking lots of water daily. I have not been ill in a very long time and I work really hard as a Spa Therapist with my own business.

Ever since I had my son 7 weeks ago I have done nothing but fail. I dyed my hair (I just wanted to feel like a non pregnant laldy again), I have been blowing drying my hair daily with out any heat protectant. My hair has been shedding like crazy and I have not done anything to stop it. I just got back on the band wagon yesterday actually. I deep conditioned/hot oil treated my hair. I even air dried my hair. Which was a fail also because it just ended up all big and fluffy, but it was as soft as a cloud. Right now I am sitting in bantu knots (my first time do this) and I am hoping when I take them down in 35 min. that they look good because I do not want to embarras my son at the bus stop ha!

I need to copy you then! I haven't seen progress in months.

UniquelyDivine Maybe you haven't seen progress coz you're constantly looking for it. It's like those girls who are so desperate to find love and it seems ever so elusive. The minute they stop looking, it finds them.

I rarely check for progress so I don't couldn't tell you how many months go by before I see progress. I usually just happen to be doing something to my hair like retwisting and it suddenly occurs to me that my hair is doing something I don't remember it doing before and that's when I look and find it is a touch longer. It could be after a year or two, but that's neither here nor there; I really don't care about time. I just find the HHJ is much more fun when I don't stress about it and when I let it surprise me. And I honestly can say I've never been frustrated by my hair.

At least from your OP, you know what it is you've been doing wrong. You know splits left uncut will tear your hair up. You know how the texture difference and you not giving your hair TLC has led to breakage. You don't have to cut it all off, but you could probably do a huge cut to get rid of the damaged hair. Then baby what you have and let it grow a bit before cutting again. In other words, instead of doing a BC, do mini-cuts over a few months and transition that way.

The longer my hair gets, the lazier I am with it. I am not sure if the answer is to cut it. In my defense, my job is very demanding. Once I'm done with grad school in April I see if having extra time on my hands will give me more time to play in my herr.

Ive been lazy with my hair for over a year and am seeing more progress than ever. I make sure i wash and deep condition every 2 weeks though. I used to pretreat/wash/DC my have every5-7 days without fail, now I wash and DC only every 2-2 1/2 weeks

I can't be bothered. It's really sad too because I hardly moisturize either. I just don't really care anymore. If it was up to me, I'd cut it all off. My SO is against it so... It's funny because when I looked at Reniece's video, I started getting excited again and told myself that I'd stop cutting. That didnt' last long. lol A year ago I couldn't even fathom the thought of trimming my hair. Now, I'm at my stylists every 2 months to get it trimmed.

I can't be bothered. It's really sad too because I hardly moisturize either. I just don't really care anymore. If it was up to me, I'd cut it all off. My SO is against it so... It's funny because when I looked at Reniece's video, I started getting excited again and told myself that I'd stop cutting. That didnt' last long. lol A year ago I couldn't even fathom the thought of trimming my hair. Now, I'm at my stylists every 2 months to get it trimmed.

I know it's off topic but you got that much growth (siggy) in 2 months? WOW!!!!

These past 2 years I was lazy :lol:

I don't know what happened, I stopped the weekly DC and stopped buying products all of the time. My wallet is happy, but my hair isn't. I'll get back into the swing of things in 2012.

I know it's off topic but you got that much growth (siggy) in 2 months? WOW!!!!

Thanks! Yes, it's crazy that now that I'm not doing anything special it's growing like weeds. lol I cut it back to APL. I can handle that length for now.

YES!!! I am washing and steaming my hair only once every two weeks. I have my staples and I keep it moving. The only thing I try to stay regular with is hennaing once a month. I am too vain to let my greys show...:rolleyes:

not lazy per se...i'd say more low maintenance :look: In my defense my hair retains length this way. I've officially given up weekly washing, for example. my hair is fine with washing every two weeks. I then twist in 20 big twists and spritz it with water every few days and seal with an oil or butter. i twist my hair in such a way that i can untwist the bottom half and leave the top half twisted and pinned up for a different look when i want to. I retained 5 inches in 2010 with this method but only 3 inches with wearing braid outs and washing weekly this year. with more manipulation came more knots, which meant more dusting/trimming.

laziness isn't a bad thing necessarily. :yep:

Last edited:
Yes. I have gotten lazy. Way lazy. I still wash/cowash every week but I am slacking big time with moisturizing and sealing. My hairstyles have been reduced to slicked back messy buns. I think I'm letting my transition frustrate me to the point I don't even wanna bother with my hair :( I need to restore my love affair with my hair.

Back