Has anybody lost hair because of winter hats?

MrsMe

I knew I should have lined my hats with silk but I failed to do it this winter.
Now I am dealing with damaged edges because my hats rubbed on my scalp. They would get itchy and silly me :wallbash: would scratch them resulting in hair falling. Now they look like I shaved them :shocked:
There are still itsy bitsy thin barely visible strands of hair which I'm now working on strengthening to help them grow back with a mix of oils my mom pledges by.
Has anybody else had this problem?
Have you managed to grow your edges (or other spot) back despite the damage caused by hats?
Do you still wear hats? I can't fathom not wearing hats in cold MA...:nono:

Sent from my HTC Evo using Long Hair Care Forum App

I live in a cold winter area (PA) and I don't wear hats. When I need head coverage, I wear my silk bonnet and then I use the hood of my down winter coat over that.

Yep...the seam of the back of the hat always rested a few inches above my nape...I had a row of hair that was noticeably thin after that. I don't wear hats anymore.

I live in MA, and I wear a hat EVERY DAY. I either keep my hair wrapped or pincurled under my satin scarf and then put my hat over it, or I have a couple of hats that I sewed in a satin lining. I comb my hair out when I get to my destination.

I live in a cold winter area (PA) and I don't wear hats. When I need head coverage, I wear my silk bonnet and then I use the hood of my down winter coat over that.

That's a good idea. I should start with my coat's hood to wean myself out of hats.

Sorry for the multiple replies. I'm using the app.
comatose I didn't realize the hats were doing that until my mom saw my hair and asked me if I always wear my hats like that. :nono: I'm gonna have to stop...
Does you hair ever get damaged from the wind and cold? I hate wind blowing in my hair and I'm especially concerned about the consequences on my locs.

@ Tiffanita You know how I feel about those cold winters up here! :lol: your idea is a good alternative too.

I don't wear hats and I am in Canada. I just hope into and outta of my car. When very cold I pull my coats hood over my head and hold on tight because it can fly off. I was looking for the lined hats, one year I found one, but my head was to big for it. I don't have success in finding hats to fit my head. Oh well I save my hair from all that rubbing.

Oh what oil mix are you going to use to help you on your edges? TIA

I wear hats mostly everyday. To give my hairline a break, I have switched to the beret knit style. I fell victim to my hats rubbing my nape bald before.

My hats aren't lined but I wear them over a plastic cap. I am also careful to pull them and the cap over my forehead way past my hairline, which is easy to do when you have a fivehead.

I love hats and I have learned that the proper way to wear hats is two fingers should fit between your eyebrows and the hat. That means I have to pull it down past my hairline to wear it "properly".

I wear either a satin doo-rag or bonnet underneath my hats. I like the rag better because I can pull it over my hairline and don't have to worry about the elastic from the bonnet rubbing on my hairline.

Sorry for the multiple replies. I'm using the app.
comatose I didn't realize the hats were doing that until my mom saw my hair and asked me if I always wear my hats like that. :nono: I'm gonna have to stop...
Does you hair ever get damaged from the wind and cold? I hate wind blowing in my hair and I'm especially concerned about the consequences on my locs.

@ Tiffanita You know how I feel about those cold winters up here! :lol: your idea is a good alternative too.

I noticed mine too late, the area is growing but it's shorter than the rest of my hair, I'm working on it. I usually move between my car and where I'm going so i don't mind leaving my head uncovered. If I am spending more time outdoors, I just put on a silk scarf. The silk lined hats are definitely a good idea.

Thank you for your replies ladies! I really appreciate the help! :yep:

I don't wear hats and I am in Canada. I just hope into and outta of my car. When very cold I pull my coats hood over my head and hold on tight because it can fly off. I was looking for the lined hats, one year I found one, but my head was to big for it. I don't have success in finding hats to fit my head. Oh well I save my hair from all that rubbing.

Oh what oil mix are you going to use to help you on your edges? TIA

See my problem is that I am a commuter and waiting for the bus in the cold is no joke. :nono: I need to put my car on the road.
As for the mix, please don't :rolleyes: at it because it may sound weird...although I've seen worse concoctions on this board. My mom doesn't know how to do it by herself but she says it takes forever to recreate. Here it is: castor or palm oil, coconut (real coconut), onion, carrots, and eggs. the concoction is cooked together and filtered. In the end it just smells and looks like castor oil with no residue whatsoever...told ya it was weird. :look:

I live in the northeast but never wore hats until this year. You can sew a liner or an old sleep satin bonnet into a knit hat or try one already done.

This website has really cute silk lined ones..

HatSoMe - Lined Hats that Fit Your Style

I knew I should have done that but procrastinated big time.:ohwell:
I like that website's products but my pockets would rather I do it by myself. :look:

I wear a satin bonnet under my hat.

You're the second poster who suggested that. That's one thing I definitely cannot procrastinate with right now.

I wear hats mostly everyday. To give my hairline a break, I have switched to the beret knit style. I fell victim to my hats rubbing my nape bald before.
Did you hair grow back?

OP, you don't even have to hide the scarves all the time. I think this look below is very pretty and her hair is completely protected from the harsh weather:

hijabhatjf7.jpg

Here's one way I wear mine:
ScarfandHat-vi.jpg

I don't wear hats OP. I have a head-size complex. At best, I might wear a silk scarf like Jackie O' used to. Thanks for the link. I am going to check it out.

My hats aren't lined but I wear them over a plastic cap. I am also careful to pull them and the cap over my forehead way past my hairline, which is easy to do when you have a fivehead.

I love hats and I have learned that the proper way to wear hats is two fingers should fit between your eyebrows and the hat. That means I have to pull it down past my hairline to wear it "properly".

I was thinking about doing that too, but my skin is so sensitive and gets itchy with the hats, then I scratch and get scars:sad:. Le sigh, I should have known that's what caused my balding.

OP, you don't even have to hide the scarves all the time. I think this look below is very pretty and her hair is completely protected from the harsh weather:

hijabhatjf7.jpg

Here's one way I wear mine:

ScarfandHat-vi.jpg

Nonie, these are such great ideas! Thank you so much :kiss: You are so helpful! You are like a big sister to me whether it comes to hair, styles, or fitness you always come through! :yep:
Ok, back to the topic at hand. :drunk: I have a few scarves that are begging for exposure...I'll get to as soon as I get home.

I don't wear hats OP. I have a head-size complex. At best, I might wear a silk scarf like Jackie O' used to. Thanks for the link. I am going to check it out.
:hiya: ti madanm!
I would not mind having a head-size complex like you if I had a beautiful head of hair like yours! :lol:

Last edited:
Back