Hard Water

Ipanema

A couple of days ago, I posted about how terribly dry my hair has been lately. Well, I just recently moved to a new place, so I think the problem is the hard water. To those of you with hard water, how did it affect your hair & skin, and what did you do about it?

Hi Ipanema sorry to hear about the water problem. i just moved myself and was scared that i may also have hard water problems so i went to Lowes (it's like a Home Depot) and i bought a Water Test Kit by Purtest. It included 8 tests. You can test everything from the ph levels, iron, hardwater, chlorine and more. The test was $7 with tax and they include a little pamphlet so you can figure out what your test results mean. The tests are very easy to do. you just get some water from your tap and dip the test stick in it and see what color it turns. According to what color it turns there is a corresponding chart that will tell you if your water is safe or if you do indeed have hard water. Go ahead and test your water so you can make sure
smile.gif
I was worried for 3 weeks before i tested it and my water is fine. Test your water and get your results, then you can decide what to do from there. HTH--jainygirl

The effects for me was dry, hard hair and dry, itchy skin. I purchased a shower filter(Culligan). If you own your house you could get a whole house water treatment system. Hard water is hard on your clothes and faucets also. You could use bottled distilled water for your final rinse...
I'm so afraid of hard water that even though I have a shower filter...I do my entire shampoo and rinse with distilled water...I've been doing this now for over a year. My hair has never been happier.

I definitely second Sweetcocoa's suggestion about distilled water.
smile.gif
My hair saw a difference the first time I tried it. If it wasn't for Sweetcocoa, my hair might still be suffering from the effects of hard water.

Clarifying the hair periodically is also supposed to be good for counteracting the drying affects of hard water on the hair.

When I left home for college (four years ago) the water in the dorms was terribly HARD! MY hair and skin were so dry and cracked. I knew nothing of distilled water back then for hair. I suffered hair breakage and terribly dry skin. It was just a matter or learning to deal with the hard water. Ive since graduated so I no longer have the problem.

[ QUOTE ]
Babygurl said:
When I left home for college (four years ago) the water in the dorms was terribly HARD! MY hair and skin were so dry and cracked. I knew nothing of distilled water back then for hair. I suffered hair breakage and terribly dry skin. It was just a matter or learning to deal with the hard water. Ive since graduated so I no longer have the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! My water is much softer now than in school and when I was still living at my parents' house.

Does anyone have a water treatment system for their home? I plan to get one, but I think they range greatly in price... any suggestions?

Yikes! I just phoned about a system and they said $800 to $1000 for a water softener only. $1500 for a softener + purifier. Another $150 to install. Approx. every 6 years the filtration system will need to be replaced. The unit will last approx 25+ years. Hmmm.... while I think about it, I'll get a shower-head water filter!!!

Yes, a shower filter is a nice short term solution that can be longterm if you want! Try cottonswow.com - they have a nice selection and good prices.

I have a water softener, and while it is expensive I think it is worth every penny.....mine is guaranteed to last for 55 years before needing replacement. It was a GREAT investment...for my skin and hair.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I clarified my hair a few days ago, and that helped some. The breakage stopped, but the hair still felt rough. Today I conditioner washed (VO5 Fresh Vanilla Bean!
lick.gif
) with distilled water, and it made a HUGE difference. My hair felt like it was back to normal, so I'm eventually going to have to buy a water filter.
smile.gif
I'll be using distilled water in the meantime, though.

Thanks, Hairlove, for your suggestion on the water filter... I got impatient yesterday and went out and bought one by WaterPik!! One wash later and I'm loving the results already!!
smile.gif

I probably will get a household water softener when my boyfriend and I officially link up and decide where we will be living!! I "justified" the cost to him yesterday!
tongue.gif

Back