HARD WATER - The Root of All EVIL!!!

VALLEYGIRL

I know this has been discussed several times before but I just had to post this again:
Hard water will %^#? your hair up big time!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

The reason I am posting this is because my apartment building had to remove my shower filter b/c they said it was causing problems with the pipes and my hair has turned into a dry, brittle, tangled, flyaway mess!!!
I have changed none of my products or my diet or medication. In 3 short days my hair and skin have taken a turn for the worst...at least I know what it is.

So if you are having problems with tangles, dryness brittleness and you feel like you have tried everything under the sun product wise and routine wise....it may be your water.
My hair is more tangled and much drier in the 3 days since the filter was removed. And I have a ton of pimples on my face as well.

A filter that is getting raves on another board is one from Paragon. It costs about $20 and lasts for like a year.
The one I just removed was from Culligan. It also costs $20 but only lasts like 3 months. It was just OK...definitely made a difference but one made by PUR Water was better. Costs the same and lasts 3 months also.

The best is if you own or rent a home is a whole house water softener system. Culligan rents these out and it is usually not a high monthly rate. Your hair and skin will thank you for it.

Just a little food for thought...it may also cure the PJ in some of us. Products work better in soft water so we may not feel the need to go buy new things all the time....

HTH someone
Valleygirl

Thanks Valleygirl.. I'm definitely going to pick one up this week. This may explain why my face keeps breaking out and no matter how hard I try with my daughter's hair, it always gets tangled after washing. It takes about 2 good days and lots of products to get it soft and wavy again. I'll post an update if I notice any changes after adding the water filter. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi, Valleygirl!

I am so sorry about this temporary madness in your world. Very agonizing, but many thanks for posting this. It's amazing the difference hard water makes on hair and skin.

Much Love to you always,

Jade

hey valley girl have u hed of water filters for sinks coz i aint got no shower and wud love to be able to filter my water /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wanted to say if you do not have a place to put a shower filter I read somewhere that wetting your hair with distilled water first, then shampooing and rinsing with tap with a final rinse in distill it's better for your hair then using all hard tap water.

So, if you don't have a shower and cannot filter it that way, try distilled. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think here in the states there are water filters for your sink too. I don't know how well they work when washing hair though. PUR makes one I know.... I'm not sure who else does though.

I have a Pur water filter for the sink and that's really made for drinking water only. The water comes out of the filter very slowly, not like the regular tap water. Unless the person's hair is very short I think it would be hard to wash the hair with a Pur water sink filter or any sink filter unless it is the kind that you install under the sink, those would work perfectly.

I hear ya'. I broke mine Thursday when I was trying to change the cartridge. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I slept in my hot oil treatment and planned to shampoo when I got up. I had to shampoo and condition with tap water. I could tell the difference.

Well Well. I guess you do learn something everyday. I didn't know having hard water could have such an damaging effect on your skin and hair /images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I need a filter like 911. My skin is very prone to breakouts and I was cursing my derm out because I thought he didn't know what he was doing. My face has been breaking out so bad over the past year, and I've treid everything, nothing has worked /images/graemlins/crazy.gif. And not to mention my forever brittle hair. I thought it was because I used no-lye relaxers. Which probably just made things worse. I will be getting that filter tommorrow.

Thanx Valleygirl for the info /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Whenever I go back to Phoenix I tend to have breakouts. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't the water!
/images/graemlins/blush.gif Thanx for the heads up ladies. I always learn something new, every time I come back to this board.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I am so sorry about this temporary madness in your world. Very agonizing, but many thanks for posting this. It's amazing the difference hard water makes on hair and skin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Valleygirl,/images/graemlins/wave.gif

I second what Jade said. Thankfully, you know what the problem is, and you have a solution for it.

Much love and hugs to you! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I feel for you Valleygirl! I know just how you feel!
I currently have the Culligan....but I will be switching to the other one. Thanks!

LuvableLady said:
Wanted to say if you do not have a place to put a shower filter I read somewhere that wetting your hair with distilled water first, then shampooing and rinsing with tap with a final rinse in distill it's better for your hair then using all hard tap water.

So, if you don't have a shower and cannot filter it that way, try distilled. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I do this twice a week for my conditioning rinses. My 3rd (which is shampoo) is in the shower. But my final rinse is always distilled water...

Hey Valleygirl /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I'm sorry to hear about your hair and I too was suffering from the same things as you. I have the paragon filter and I give it two thumbs up. Both my family and I have noticed a BIG difference in our hair and my natural products are working well with it.

mirrormirror said:
Shampoos and conditioners with the ingredient citric acid, softens hard water.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a full bottle of Citre-Shine conditioner....maybe I should use this for my conditioning washes...

sassygirl125 said:
The filters for the sink aren't made to have hot water going through them. Maybe you could shampoo under a regular faucet with one of these:

Bath Water Filter

[/ QUOTE ]

thanx

Water Softening-I\'m a believer!!

Hey ValleyGirl,

Not sure if you will see this post or not, but you were so right...SOFT WATER IS AWESOME!!!

At first (first 3 days) I was like "Yeah, so?" Because my water heater hadn't filled up with the soft water yet. Now my water is all soft and .... SO IS MY HAIR!!!

It's amazing, I actually don't have to use as much product (conditioner). My hair was soft before, but this is different, it actually feels, cleaner or something. I can't really explain it as my hair was clean and soft before, but this is just magnified by 1000% and I thought it couldn't get any better. This is great!!

So thanks for the Soft Water tip, my skin feels great too, not tight when I get out of the shower.

Re: Water Softening-I\'m a believer!!

Water makes such a big difference. I have a shower filter...which is the best I can do right now cause I rent and even that little bit makes a difference. My skin is so soft and not as dry since I started using one. I originally got it because of the hard water on my hair...but my skin has benefited also. I'm on the distilled water kick right now...but I still need my shower filter. When I buy a house again, a water softening system is the first thing I'm gonna get.

Back