Half Wigs For Growth

I have just purchased my second halfwig n I........Love them!! I wash n Dc,Dry,Moisturize. After that I put it in a bun and pin the bun down. Then I put the stocking cap on n then the half wig. I don't flat iron the hair I leave out I rollerset it to make it blend with the wig is this a good way to protect my hair n achieve growth?:look:

I just ordered a half wig by true match. I'm natural so it was really important to try to find something that matched my natural hair. The texture match is ok (not the best but I can work with it) but the color is way off. I guess I'm going to have to try some black bees wax or a dark gel, because I really don't want to dye the front of my hair. Any suggestions???
I plan to wear a half wig until I reach bsl.

Attachments

• DSCN4260.jpg
    DSCN4260.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN4258.jpg
    DSCN4258.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 140
Half wigs are great.. just be careful of the tension on your hair with the clips.. before lhcf I rocked half wigs for over a year and I had growth but just 1 area on the top of my head that was painfully thin because of the clips that secure it.. now I just set the wig on top of my hair and pin the side with bobbi's and its just as secure..

Halfwigs (and regular wigs) are a great way to retain length. But, you should take the combs out and use bobby pins instead. At the very least, cover the combs in castor oil before you put them in your hair. They can cause fierce breakage, especially if the wigs is pulled tight.

I never understand why people do buns under their wig though. That just seems odd to me, but I know it works for others. I would just cornrow my hair or put it in celie braids and leave the braids for a few weeks. You can still wash and dc in them.

I just ordered a half wig by true match. I'm natural so it was really important to try to find something that matched my natural hair. The texture match is ok (not the best but I can work with it) but the color is way off. I guess I'm going to have to try some black bees wax or a dark gel, because I really don't want to dye the front of my hair. Any suggestions???
I plan to wear a half wig until I reach bsl.

I made my own half wig and it is the perfect match. I purchased kinky relaxed textured tracks
http://www.hisandher.com/hair_exten...inky_straight/main_001/sub_001/1/details.html
and sew them onto the base of an old fall (that I had cut the hair off of). I believe Selfstyled has a tutorial in her fotki on how to do this. It took about 3 hours but it looks wonderful. I will post pictures in this thread in a second.

I have just purchased my second halfwig n I........Love them!! I wash n Dc,Dry,Moisturize. After that I put it in a bun and pin the bun down. Then I put the stocking cap on n then the half wig. I don't flat iron the hair I leave out I rollerset it to make it blend with the wig is this a good way to protect my hair n achieve growth?:look:

Absolutely. Its a great way to retain your growth. I was inspired to wear wigs for growth about a year ago while looking at fotkis, specifically ChavasCandy(I think thats her screenname). She recently had a progress thread and her hair looks fab.

At any rate. Its been a year for me. It was ideal for me because I started off with a short cut. I was able to stay away from heat and take care of my hair and still look good.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a lot of growth because I was cutting off my bone straight relaxed ends every month. I would say that I cut about 5 inches of hair over the course of a year and my hair is still longer than what it was last August.

So, yes wigs for growth (retention) is a good idea.

I made my own half wig and it is the perfect match. I purchased kinky relaxed textured tracks
http://www.hisandher.com/hair_exten...inky_straight/main_001/sub_001/1/details.html
and sew them onto the base of an old fall (that I had cut the hair off of). I believe Selfstyled has a tutorial in her fotki on how to do this. It took about 3 hours but it looks wonderful. I will post pictures in this thread in a second.

Hey there Radianthealth, I can't wait to see your pictures. Your absolutely right I did do something similar, I used an old Kinky Straight lace front that I made into a half wig.

I love the KS hair- it matches so well:yep:. You read my mind cause I want to make a new half wig with KS hair.

OP- I have found that half wigs are a really great protective style. Like the others have said, I cut the combs out, and have had no setback using half wigs. I usually am too lazy to blend and will just use a head band to cover the demarcation line. When I do blend, I rollerset so that it will match.

Halfwigs (and regular wigs) are a great way to retain length. But, you should take the combs out and use bobby pins instead. At the very least, cover the combs in castor oil before you put them in your hair. They can cause fierce breakage, especially if the wigs is pulled tight.

I never understand why people do buns under their wig though. That just seems odd to me, but I know it works for others. I would just cornrow my hair or put it in celie braids and leave the braids for a few weeks. You can still wash and dc in them.

Some people, like myself dont know how to cornrow! :nono: I really wish I could!!! Would it be weird to ask my stylist to do them? Also, I tried little braids under my wigs, but my inexperienced hands caused more breakage and wasted more time than necessary. I also like to be able to detangle every other day or so. I usually just bun and baggy because I might wear a phony pony the next day or something.

But to each her own :grin:

Its just a matter of preference.

I don't like breads or breading my hair. So a ponytail or pinning my hair are my options.

Some people, like myself dont know how to cornrow! :nono: I really wish I could!!! Would it be weird to ask my stylist to do them? Also, I tried little braids under my wigs, but my inexperienced hands caused more breakage and wasted more time than necessary. I also like to be able to detangle every other day or so. I usually just bun and baggy because I might wear a phony pony the next day or something.

But to each her own :grin:

Yeah, everyone has their own way. It just seems weird to me to do a bun. And I can't understand how there's not an obvious bump where the bun is. Most of the time I just did big celie braids but I like doing the cornrows because they last the longest. I wouldn't pay anyone else to do it though, if the bun is working for you.

These are photos of my fall, I put all of my hair under the fall and cover the seam with a headband. I never try to blend because I like total protective styles :)

Fall-1.jpg

Kinkyfall-1.jpg

Last edited:
It's a 1b. I'm not used to wigs and weaves, and i ordered off the internet :perplexed lol. I here that true match's colors run dark so next time I think I'm going to try a 2.

The texture also seems off. Are you natural or texlaxed? Maybe you could try to create a fall that will be a better match for your texture and color:yep:

I currently sport half wigs to work. I cut the comb out of the nape,to avoid breakage. my hair underneath is put into a single braid and pin it under then I cover my hair with a hair net because I'm scared of the tension from using a stocking cap.

I wear half wigs to work also.. But for the most part when i am at home, I just wear my hair natural and give the wigs and my head a break!

RH, your wig looks so natural!

I'm wearing a half wig now for about 2 months. I havent experienced any setbacks. I need to get a color rinse to match my real hair with the wig but I'm still getting lots of compliments.

I'm trying to grow my hair back so I'll be doing this for a year. I really dont like fake hair but I know it's best for me to "forget" about my hair for a while.

RH- Thanks so much for posting the pictures! Talk about a perfect match to your hair. That half wig is just gorgeous. I am going to make one this weekend. How did you curl the hair, did you use a curling iron? I have found the KS hair a little difficult to curl.

When I did my BC, I only wore half-wigs and braids, so it really helped with hair growth and retention because I could add oils etc to my hair. I opted to use a wavy type wig to match my hair type then covered the demarcation line with a scarf or headwrap.

I am loving the half wigs too now...I alternate between wrapping my hair or braiding it. I am a little worried about breakage from the combs though. I am nervous if I try to remove them, I will mess the wig up somehow. They are excellent for protective styling and retaining growth.

Where do you get your fall from? It looks so natural!!

I made the fall. I basically took an old fall and cut the hair off of it with scissors then I sew on kinky straight textured tracks http://www.hisandher.com/hair_exten...00_human_hair/main_001/sub_015/1/details.html to the fall.

SelfStyled has a tutorial in her fotki. It was pretty easy but it took about three hours.

RH- Thanks so much for posting the pictures! Talk about a perfect match to your hair. That half wig is just gorgeous. I am going to make one this weekend. How did you curl the hair, did you use a curling iron? I have found the KS hair a little difficult to curl.

I just used a curling iron. I like that with this style none of my hair is exposed and I don't have to worry about blending:grin:.

One of these days I am going to try a flexi rod set on it...I know that will look so natural and sexy :)

Last edited:
You all have further inspired me to go ahead and purchase some kinky straight hair and make myself a fall.

RadiantHealth, your wig looks great!

Last edited:
These are photos of my fall, I put all of my hair under the fall and cover the seam with a headband. I never try to blend because I like total protective styles :)

Fall-1.jpg

Kinkyfall-1.jpg

I couldn't agree more-total protective hair styling is definitely the way to go instead of attempting to blend. I prefer this way myself:grin: Thanks for sharing!

just be careful of the tension on your hair with the clips.. before lhcf I rocked half wigs for over a year and I had growth but just 1 area on the top of my head that was painfully thin because of the clips that secure it.. now I just set the wig on top of my hair and pin the side with bobbi's and its just as secure..

Great point. :yep: Im glad you mentioned that.

Back