Hair typing

hnntrr

So my hair is finally long enough to figure out what type I have.
I know curl pattern isn't important so much but for doing some styles I have real issues because they completely change the pattern of my hair (like I can never successfully get Bantu or twist outs.

I am also wondering if the frizzy ness is inherant in the hair type I have and what I can do to help combat that. I also and wondering what styles I should look to do other than shingling that can help define the frizz a little more.

I know I am lo po or I assume I am because of some issues I have had.

This is my hair with no product on that section (I'm DCing so there's some of the front)right after shampooing.
I am about 5 months post. BC.

This is the back and a majority of my hair is like this, it's a little looker and less frizzy right in the middle of my crown.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
This is right above my eat on my hair line, both sides of my head are like this till about an inch behind my ear and it stopped and switches going up toward the middle of my head.

My hair line from forehead back is completely undefined from about 4 inches from my forehead. The rest looks like the picture above.

Sorry for the sideways photos. I am on my phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 159
I'm guessing 4b but don't hold me on that as I'm not even good at typing my own hair lol. One day it looks 3b and another it looks 3c. Thought I had 4a at one point. It's hard to tell when you hair is short but give it some time and you will be able to tell for sure without guessing.

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

Cool! I wasn't sure. Thanks so much, this helps a lot. Btw soft 4a just means the curl pattern is loose?

there's no such thing as soft 4a hair as a specific type,.... your texture would be fine,medium, or coarse and silky hair,cottony, or thready. Stop worrying about your hair type in regards to curl pattern (1-4c) it has no merit... your overall thickness, porosity, and density of strands is far more important in terms of products, moisture-protein, and maintanence. Its hard to look at camera pics to determine what your hair is because of lighting and seeing and touching it in personal would be more telling. 4a all deal with their hair differently as do other hair types cause of varying factors. Also many folks have 2 or more types/ patterns, textures all over their entire head.

here's a vid for you to watch that explains this:
http://youtu.be/vIPV8siwzVo

Cool! I wasn't sure. Thanks so much, this helps a lot. Btw soft 4a just means the curl pattern is loose?

No, 4a means you have kinky coils. I just said "soft" for your texture...not sure exactly what texture it is. Science of Blk Hair goes into detail about texture. :yep:

there's no such thing as soft 4a hair as a specific type,.... your texture would be fine,medium, or coarse and silky hair,cottony, or thready. Stop worrying about your hair type in regards to curl pattern (1-4c) it has no merit... your overall thickness, porosity, and density of strands is far more important in terms of products, moisture-protein, and maintanence. Its hard to look at camera pics to determine what your hair is because of lighting and seeing and touching it in personal would be more telling. 4a all deal with their hair differently as do other hair types cause of varying factors. Also many folks have 2 or more types/ patterns, textures all over their entire head.

here's a vid for you to watch that explains this:
http://youtu.be/vIPV8siwzVo

I understandcurl pattern doesn't matter ultimately, its the size of the curl and does not impact the things you mentioned above. I am just trying to understand why my hair does certain things that it doesn't do for other people (like my twist/braid outs never work for example) but for wash and go purposes I just want to know so I know how to deal with my hair from a style standpoint especially if they are not wash n go's.

So far I think my hair is lo porosity, between cottony/coarse in the majority and silky at the nape. My hair is normal to thin density.

But I just want to know what to look for as far as styling because some styles don't work for me. I am not focusing on it, just trying to understand my hair better and knowing what I can and cannot do. Sorry if I offended anyone.

I understandcurl pattern doesn't matter ultimately, its the size of the curl and does not impact the things you mentioned above. I am just trying to understand why my hair does certain things that it doesn't do for other people (like my twist/braid outs never work for example) but for wash and go purposes I just want to know so I know how to deal with my hair from a style standpoint especially if they are not wash n go's.

So far I think my hair is lo porosity, between cottony/coarse in the majority and silky at the nape. My hair is normal to thin density.

But I just want to know what to look for as far as styling because some styles don't work for me. I am not focusing on it, just trying to understand my hair better and knowing what I can and cannot do. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Hey, could it be the products you use? My 2nd oldest daughter has hair just like yours and I have to use a product with HOLD for her twistouts to come out nice. If not then it is a poofed fluffy big mess b4 the end of the day lol. I haven't tried braidout yet so I'm going to give that a try but I did do a bko and it was an epic fail lol. Again I didn't use a product with enough hold. I used the ORS pudding. It works gr8 on my hair but not so much my girls.

HPG

Hey, could it be the products you use? My 2nd oldest daughter has hair just like yours and I have to use a product with HOLD for her twistouts to come out nice. If not then it is a poofed fluffy big mess b4 the end of the day lol. I haven't tried braidout yet so I'm going to give that a try but I did do a bko and it was an epic fail lol. Again I didn't use a product with enough hold. I used the ORS pudding. It works gr8 on my hair but not so much my girls.

HPG

I haven't found it either. I use the extra hold eco styler but it doesn't come out soft...it just makes it crunchy and gross. I will keep working with it though. Thank you so much.

I haven't found it either. I use the extra hold eco styler but it doesn't come out soft...it just makes it crunchy and gross. I will keep working with it though. Thank you so much.

Girl lmk what you find that works.

HPG

Back