Hair Typing Question [pics]

She states she has a mix but predominantly what would you say her hair type is?

• 4a

Votes: 48 71.6%
  • 4b

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • 3c

Votes: 16 23.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
^^ Every Fotki I see says something along those lines. The Fotki is public but whenever I log onto youtube if I remember I'll link the thread.

Adding a message under photos is optional and she choose to say "Do not Steal". I have seen others that actually say "Feel free to use for inspiration".*Shrug* PW protection on fotki is a paid premium service so many albums are "open" but it doesn't necessarily mean the owner doesn't want some control over where the images appear especially if they make a notation suggesting such. I understand where you're coming from and just offering another perspective.

Changing my vote to 3C. I voted before I saw the wet hair photos. I believe that we all have a mixture of textures, but 4a hair doesn't curl when wet IMHO.

I thought most 3 hair turned straight/flat when wet?

I swear there are so many more hair types than these 4 we're always talking about. :grin:

Changing my vote to 3C. I voted before I saw the wet hair photos. I believe that we all have a mixture of textures, but 4a hair doesn't curl when wet IMHO.

I'm confused about all the typing wet hair comments. You can't type wet hair. If i did that i would be a 2 something and I'm far from that. My hair dosen't fully curl up until it's dry. 4a hair is coily so im pretty sure it will curl when wet to. I thought this was OP'S hair, oops.

Let me try to explain myself . . . I did a lot of reading on this subject when I stretched for 20 months and wanted to really understand my hair type (I thought I was 4b but found out I was 4a/4b). I think I finally got it right, but an expert can come correct me if I'm wrong . . .

All 3 and 4 hair curls or coils (except for 4b which makes a "Z" shape). But 4a curls are small (like the size of pen springs). So when my 4a hair is wet, you have to be real close to see the curls. You couldn't see them in a photo like that. That's why I changed my vote to 3c when I saw her well defined curls (without any product) in the wet hair picture.

http://www.bvhairtalk.com/2008/06/12/understanding-your-hair-type-and-texture/

Blessings.

I'm confused about all the typing wet hair comments. You can't type wet hair. If i did that i would be a 2 something and I'm far from that. My hair dosen't fully curl up until it's dry. 4a hair is coily so im pretty sure it will curl when wet to. I thought this was OP'S hair, oops.

Last edited:

:yep: ITA with you! I am 4a with 3c in the nape area and my hair curls when it is wet. If it is drenched with water the weight of it pulls my hair down so that it appears to be into the mid 3's. Once I get out of the shower and pat water off my hair is super super curly/coily.

That person's hair looks like uniform 4a IMO albeit with typical 3c/slightly looser curl pattern in the back where the hair grows from the nape.

Also, it is great to be inspired by the great heads of hair floating around on the internet--BUT you have to know and accept that that will not be your hair. I am of the mindset that no two heads are alike :yep: so expect some variation and don't feel discouraged if your hair isn't like someone else's. I learned this when I was loc'd.

Actually it does curl. My hair curls when wet in the 3C and 4A sections. Its just the first front section (3C) has S waves/curls and some loose spiral curls the width of my thumb and the back (4A) has spirals the width of a pen. But they both curl wet and dry, though the water loosens the pattern (the 3C part is gets real loose). When dry you can still see the front spirals but the back ones shrink up much more and become frizzier. My nape is prolly 2C or something as it doesn't do anything but grows with a slight wave.

I think all 3 and 4's have curls/spirals but vary in thickness/diameter, and thus shrinkage too.

I just created a Fotki and messaged her the thread since some of you made it out like I committed a deadly sin :laugh:

Let me try to explain myself . . . I did a lot of reading on this subject when I stretched for 20 months and wanted to really understand my hair type (I thought I was 4b but found out I was 4a/4b). I think I finally got it right, but an expert can come correct me if I'm wrong . . .

All 3 and 4 hair curls or coils (except for 4b which makes a "Z" shape). But 4a curls are small (like the size of pen springs). So when my 4a hair is wet, you have to be real close to see the curls. You couldn't see them in a photo like that. That's why I changed my vote to 3c when I saw her well defined curls (without any product) in the wet hair picture.

http://www.bvhairtalk.com/2008/06/12/understanding-your-hair-type-and-texture/

Blessings.
You are mistaken. I am a 3c/4a and both sections curl and the 4a bits of my hair look like hers when wet (the 3c curls bigger and stretches out flatter)

While many hair types are different in the same range, you can definitely see 4a curls, especially when wet as the water loosens (which is why I won't really type on soaking wet hair!)

Please see the 4a or 3c/4a (which she might be) threads for all of the variety of 4a!

Last edited:
Back