Hair typing help

PinkPeony

Ok I'm not sure what my hair type is,I have a lot of different textures going on at once ranging from wavy to curly and from smooth and silky to frizzy.
I call myself a 4a/b with maybe some 3c?

That's from the crown of my head
090107_2231.jpg
090107_2232.jpg

With finger to show the size
090107_2235.jpg

What confuses me that type 4a and 3c are usually ringlet curls but mine are just curly or even go into wavy curls.But they are to small to be 3a or b.

Then on my sides I have those tiny coffee stirrer sized curls but again no ringlets but wavy curls... is that 4b?Oh and they are very smooth and silky:yep:
In general my natural hair is silkier and smoother then my texlaxed hair:sad:

my sides
090107_2238.jpg

And then my nape with product(scurl and vaseline)
I'd guessthis is 4a/b?
IMG_6503.jpg

Sorry about the cam pics but I just got the itch,I can post more pics that I made with my digi

Looks like 4a/b with some possible 3c to me.

You will be able to get a better handle on it when your transition is complete. I am assuming that is what you are doing?

It could still change up so don't be surprised if it changes or looks different once you have more of your natural hair for length.

Also do not be surprised if one section of your hair has more of one texture and another side has a completely different texture or even a mixture.

This is what us naturals are learning, accepting and dealing with. So hang in there and let your hair tell you what it is and what it needs. It has not finished talking to you yet.
icon12.gif

Thanks Kurlee and MsCoco:yep:
Looks like 4a/b with some possible 3c to me.
Could you break it down for me?I look at it and I don't know which is which?!
You will be able to get a better handle on it when your transition is complete. I am assuming that is what you are doing?

It could still change up so don't be surprised if it changes or looks different once you have more of your natural hair for length.
I know,when I was a kid I had a Angela Davis fro and no single curl in sight.I think my hair type also changed since I'am on LHCF.
Also do not be surprised if one section of your hair has more of one texture and another side has a completely different texture or even a mixture.

This is what us naturals are learning, accepting and dealing with. So hang in there and let your hair tell you what it is and what it needs. It has not finished talking to you yet.
icon12.gif
I'm not transitioning ,I'm 12 weeks post relaxer but everytime around 10+weeks I get the itch to just keep stretching.I'm contemplating going natural for a while now but honestly I'm not brave enough yet*sigh*

Thanks Kurlee and MsCoco:yep:
I'm not transitioning ,I'm 12 weeks post relaxer but everytime around 10+weeks I get the itch to just keep stretching.I'm contemplating going natural for a while now but honestly I'm not brave enough yet*sigh*

I see your frustration. The ringlets fall in line with 3c but there are some 4a's who have some of this. Looking at your nape from the picture that looks more 4a/b, which is why I said don't be surprised if you find you have a mixture or different types in sections of your head.

I am finding that the longer my natural hair gets in the front I have a bit of a wave pattern up there and it is not as thick as the back. Which falls in line with 4a texture.

My back is like straight from the mother land very kinky and nappy and super super thick and it is the area I have the most detangling to do if I use no product. My front is my most sensitive it has to be handled waay different or I could find myself yanking my hair out because it is not as kinky and thick as my back.

But when you look at my whole head from afar or in a picture you cannot pick up on that subtleness in hair texture.

I would love to give you a definitive answer but it has to have more length in its natural state to be able to give you that answer. Not helping much huh?

Well if you are ever ready to transition, know that there are lots of naturals here on this board to help you through the scary moments.
icon12.gif
We will guide you and be with you through every single step.

When I saw your first 3 pics I was gonna say 3c but your nape looks 4a......probably just a mixture of those.

it depends on the size of the "waves" if its 1/2 inch or larger per section (marker size) its probably 3c anything smaller and your venturing into 4a.

the back seems to be 4a/b.

Come on to the natural side Ella, you can do it!!

I've given up typing my hair, it's all natural, and it's all mine!
MUAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

I see your frustration. The ringlets fall in line with 3c but there are some 4a's who have some of this. Looking at your nape from the picture that looks more 4a/b, which is why I said don't be surprised if you find you have a mixture or different types in sections of your head.

I am finding that the longer my natural hair gets in the front I have a bit of a wave pattern up there and it is not as thick as the back. Which falls in line with 4a texture.

My back is like straight from the mother land very kinky and nappy and super super thick and it is the area I have the most detangling to do if I use no product. My front is my most sensitive it has to be handled waay different or I could find myself yanking my hair out because it is not as kinky and thick as my back.

But when you look at my whole head from afar or in a picture you cannot pick up on that subtleness in hair texture.

I would love to give you a definitive answer but it has to have more length in its natural state to be able to give you that answer. Not helping much huh?

Well if you are ever ready to transition, know that there are lots of naturals here on this board to help you through the scary moments.
icon12.gif
We will guide you and be with you through every single step.
Thank you:yep:

Thank you pokahontas and brownskin(I will check out your fotki)

Silver... I guess this makes me 4a then?!

sera... you're to funny girl:grin:

Thanky you Angie:blush:

Wow Ella, your hair sounds similiar to mine. I guessed that i was mostly 4a/b and i have some 3c areas as well.:yep:

Last edited:
Wow Ella, your hair sounds similiar to mine. I guessed that i was mostly 4a/b and i have some 3c areas as well.:yep:
Your braids are pretty.
Let me know when you have pics of your texture,just leave me a message in my guestbook
fotki.com/bella-ella no pw needed

Your braids are pretty.
Let me know when you have pics of your texture,just leave me a message in my guestbook
fotki.com/bella-ella no pw needed

Thanks, I hate braids though! I should take pics before i relax again, i'm about 5 months post now. I'll definitely let u know if i do.

Back