Hair Typing & Conditioners

Lisa

I'm 14 months post and I always thought I had 4a hair but I'm beginning to think my texture is looser in the back (3c). Looking for the hair guru's here to chime in because lately the only conditioner I can find to give me any slip makes my scalp itch (e.g. kinky curly knot today)! And my hair always looks so dry and frizzy when I try to do a wash-in-go. I've been doing a rollerset and it still looks a frizzy mess. Any thoughts on what would help?

FYI...These pictures were taken on the same day just in different light, I dyed my hair 3 weeks ago but apparently I dyed it the same color it was because nobody could tell even after I told them! LOL

I've tried Suave, Infusium 23 (worked when I was relaxed), Wen (worked when I was relaxed), Wen 613 (never worked), Elasta QP, ORS, Shea Moisture Restorative conditioner, Shescentt Rich Moisture Masque, Shescentt Okra Restorative conditioner, Tresemme Naturals (makes hair easier to comb but no slip), mixed chicks, Living Proof (worse stuff I ever bought! Don't know what I was thinking), Garnier Fructis, etc. (I've spent a lot on conditioners!

Any thoughts

8a539a58-4444-4a64-a9d7-31d658dca791_zpsqxzxeysl.jpg

5f42a2ce-71ea-467b-be45-306e2b41fc8c_zpsnyqpmkhr.jpg

33831e29-3a2d-4c32-8d64-9fe7ce295bb7_zpszjypokro.jpg

0b479ef8-2998-43f1-91f3-96b955755bcb_zps8xqy4cut.jpg

4b59afb1-917a-42bb-a20b-a264c2842238_zpsh9qhlnfu.jpg
It's a frizzy mess on top!

I don't see any 4a, I think you're mainly in the 3's from what I could see because you have bigger curls instead of small coils. I feel like when our hair is shorter, it always looks tighter until the curl gets longer and weighed down a bit. It took me a full year after my big chop to see my true texture. So don't be surprised if you see that your texture is loosening up even more in the next year or so.

As for good conditioners, it depends. I have a different hair texture but I like the SM Masques over their rinse outs, Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle (If you don't mind cones), EVA Mask NYC, and any of the Giovanni conditioners. I especially like all of these because they can be found almost anywhere on the ground (Except Eva Mask which I only seen at Ulta).

Are you looking for a good leave in conditioner or rinse out? You may also need to use a styler. Either a light gel or a cream Styker. I've heard good things about the Camille Rose Coconut Water line at Target. There is a leave in and a "style setter" which might work better for you. My hair is thick and 3c and I have to use a styler with hold or I get frizz and tangles.

I don't see any 4a, I think you're mainly in the 3's from what I could see because you have bigger curls instead of small coils. I feel like when our hair is shorter, it always looks tighter until the curl gets longer and weighed down a bit. It took me a full year after my big chop to see my true texture. So don't be surprised if you see that your texture is loosening up even more in the next year or so.

As for good conditioners, it depends. I have a different hair texture but I like the SM Masques over their rinse outs, Aussie Moist 3 Minute Miracle (If you don't mind cones), EVA Mask NYC, and any of the Giovanni conditioners. I especially like all of these because they can be found almost anywhere on the ground (Except Eva Mask which I only seen at Ulta).

I've been trying to move away from the cones but I'm going to try Giovanni. Thanks.

Trader Joe's NourishSpa will give you plenty of slip. Melts tangles like butter. :yep:

I thought someone said they changed the formula that's why I hadn't bought it. I don't get to Trader Joe's often but I will have to make a special trip this weekend or next week.

Are you looking for a good leave in conditioner or rinse out? You may also need to use a styler. Either a light gel or a cream Styker. I've heard good things about the Camille Rose Coconut Water line at Target. There is a leave in and a "style setter" which might work better for you. My hair is thick and 3c and I have to use a styler with hold or I get frizz and tangles.

I was thinking about both because I wanted slip with a rinse out and moisture with the leave in. Thanks. Target is close I'm going to stop there tomorrow.

I thought someone said they changed the formula that's why I hadn't bought it. I don't get to Trader Joe's often but I will have to make a special trip this weekend or next week.
Yes, you will love it. I've been using it for years and they haven't changed the formula.

If you have fine, tangle prone curls or kinks, creamy, silicone-y conditioners will probably be your best friend. I love Herbal Essences Conditioners for cowashing and brushing out my hair.

Adding oils, honey, aloe vera, etc. to your conditioners will help to increase it's moisturizing and detangling properties.

Hair typing is just your curl size, which doesn't correlate to conditioners. Try assessing whether your strands are fine, medium or coarse. The finer the strands are, the more protein your condishes should contain. Try focusing on the protein content for now.

As for your hair type, you'd have to fully cut off the relaxed hair to truly know as the curl will be smaller without the straight strand stretching it down. My guess would be 3c/4a, silky.

If you have fine, tangle prone curls or kinks, creamy, silicone-y conditioners will probably be your best friend. I love Herbal Essences Conditioners for cowashing and brushing out my hair.

Adding oils, honey, aloe vera, etc. to your conditioners will help to increase it's moisturizing and detangling properties.

My hair is fine. I stopped using silicone because I thought they were making my hair dry. I guess I'm going to have to go back and re-assess this. I had some aloe vera in my Amazon shopping cart but I couldn't remember why so I clicked save for later.

I usually do a protein treatment followed by a moisturizing conditioner and moisturizing leave in because I know protein can also make my hair dry.

Mega tek has a great strengthening strangler (smells yummy too). It should help to thicken your hair and detangles with a breeze.

Mega tek has a great strengthening strangler (smells yummy too). It should help to thicken your hair and detangles with a breeze.

I actually bought this awhile ago but I haven't used it consistently. I will dust it off and put it in rotation because as you can see I need all the thickness I can get! Plus I got a little scissor happy last month
scissors_ani_zpsz6vtvo0e.gif
so anything that can help detangle is appreciated!!

If I am deep conditioning for 30 minutes under heat I like to use Keracare Anti Itch conditioner in the blue bottle. If not deep conditioning joico moisturizing conditioner in blue bottle. They both provide good slip. I got these ideas from Sista With Real Hair on YouTube. Someone on here posted her link.

@Shelew do you like Joico better than Keracare Humecto? I had Keracare in my amazon basket waiting for payday :giggle:

Is that Joico Moisture Recovery Conditioner (I can't tell if I love Amazon or if I hate it...they make buying things so easy! ) :hot:

@Godsdaughter001 I tried to send my friend who works near Trader Joe's to find the Nourishing Spa and she texted me and asked where's the hair stuff? What else is in that aisle?

@Shelew do you like Joico better than Keracare Humecto? I had Keracare in my amazon basket waiting for payday :giggle:

Is that Joico Moisture Recovery Conditioner (I can't tell if I love Amazon or if I hate it...they make buying things so easy! ) :hot:
Hi Lisa, it is not the humecto I use. It is the anti itch conditioner in the blue bottle. I like the keracare better. The slip is great. Joico seems a little heavier feeling on the hair but still has good slip. My hair is 3c/4a

My hair is fine. I stopped using silicone because I thought they were making my hair dry. I guess I'm going to have to go back and re-assess this. I had some aloe vera in my Amazon shopping cart but I couldn't remember why so I clicked save for later.

My hair is fine and low porosity, so it is prone to buildup easily. I still use cones. I am a just careful about the type. I use Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship or Totally Twisted.

My hair is fine and low porosity, so it is prone to buildup easily. I still use cones. I am a just careful about the type. I use Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship or Totally Twisted.

What do you use to wash the cones out so you don't get build-up and do you use it for every wash or every other?

@overtherainbow, @ExquisitelyAlien, and @uofmpanther I was meaning to come back to talk about silicones. @uofmpanther the reason I asked so many questions above is because I used some Lok and Blok by Sabino a few days ago. It was suppose to rain on and off all day Thursday so Wednesday night I wet my hair with a spray bottle and used the Sabino. Thursday morning my hair was smooth....smooth like I went to the hairdresser smooth from my rollerset. Somehow I managed to avoid all of the rain so I don't know how it would have held up under rain but it held up nicely with all the humidity in the air.

Now I'm on the fence about silicones :confused:

What do you use to wash the cones out so you don't get build-up and do you use it for every wash or every other?

It depends on how my hair feels. Sometimes I just co-wash, so water. Sometimes I use gentle shampoo - Aubrey Organics White Camellia shampoo or uncle funky’s daughter work for me.

@overtherainbow, @ExquisitelyAlien, and @uofmpanther I was meaning to come back to talk about silicones. @uofmpanther the reason I asked so many questions above is because I used some Lok and Blok by Sabino a few days ago. It was suppose to rain on and off all day Thursday so Wednesday night I wet my hair with a spray bottle and used the Sabino. Thursday morning my hair was smooth....smooth like I went to the hairdresser smooth from my rollerset. Somehow I managed to avoid all of the rain so I don't know how it would have held up under rain but it held up nicely with all the humidity in the air.

If you don't clarify regularly or use sulfate shampoos you may want to skip using silicone products because they can end up causing build up which leads to dryness and breakage if they aren't periodically removed from the hair. I use silicones because I literally cannot detangle my hair without them. I need the slip they provide in order to keep my fine hair from matting together. To counter that, though, I do use sulfate shampoo to wash my hair every two weeks.

Some people's hair hates silicones. Others can't do without them. Unless you are looking to use a natural product only hair regimen, you don't have to avoid silicones unless you prefer to. You just have to do what works for your hair.

+1

I tried to use all natural products on my hair and it didn't work. My hair likes silicones. It just does.

It hates every SheaMoisture product...except the light green for wavy hair...and that's just okay.

I cowash with HE Moroccan My Shine condish and my hair smiles...LOL

I use Joico Moisture Recovery condish to deep condition. Hair also likes Silicon Mix...I don't use that as often.

I use Ion hard water shampoo...love it! Got it from Sally's, it doesn't strip my hair. I have a tad of 3B in the front....but I'm basically 3C/4A. Fine, but very dense strands.

LOC works for me also. I will cowash, rinse, seal the water with coconut oil (not too much) and apply my cream.

Hair like butter for 3-5 days depending on my activities.

Last edited:

My hair prefers regular changes between silicones and natural products. I tend to use natural products in the warmer months and silicone in the winter. Or just whenever I feel like it. Since you're still unsure, just add them slowly into your reggie and just pay close attention to your hair. I say look at the cones that are in the Lok and Blok and try to use products that include those as well, because not all silicones react the same in your hair. I find that my hair prefers amodimethicone over dimethicone especially when it comes to leave ins. Also as someone mentioned, clarifying is key. Whenever I introduce cones into my reggie (even water soluble ones) I always clarify monthly using Giovanni Clarifying shampoo, followed up with a cone-free DC to get a truly fresh start. Personally, I think everyone should be clarifying regularly anyway, even if you're cone free! It really refreshes your curls.

Some of my favs cone leave in and conditioners are by Renpure Organics and OGX (formally Organixs). My favorite coney leave in is and always will be Garnier Frutis Style Sleek & Shine. For $3, it really locks in moisture and has some awesome slip. It also keeps frizzies at bay!

Last edited:
Back