HAIR TRAUMA.....CALL 911!!!

Tebby1017

I took my braids out last night...fistfull of hair!!! The hair just kept coming out!! I am so upset. I got tired of detangling and just put my CH conditioner/Tropical (Dominican) Conditioner mix on, two plastic caps, a Turbie Twist, and went to bed. I woke up this morning and combed through the rest of my hair in the shower....round 2 wasn't as bad as round one, but I was still loosing hair. Since it's so cold, I blow dried so that my hair wouldn't be dripping wet, then put on a phonytail.

My hair looks shorter than it did when I got the braids, and I saw significant newgrowth while my hair was still braided.

SOMEBODY, ANYBODY, HELP ME!!! Remind me to never get braids again!!

Tebby

I'm so pissed. The longest part of my hair was grazing the bottom of my bra strap before braids, and now....I don't know where it is....all I can say is that it's somewhere above that. I am beyond pissed.

Tebby

Tebby,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I have my hair braided right now (no extensions) due to surgery last week. Maybe some of the regular braid wearers can help you out. I have been anxious to take my braids out, but I don't think I have the strength just yet to deal with all of my hair. Hopefully soon though.

Sorry to hear that, the other day I helped my cousin take out her braids and the same thing happened, it took me hours detangling her hair and like you she lost so much hair. It scared me to see so much hair. I dont think I personally will ever get braids. I know your mad but it will be ok. at least you know what you need to do to take care of your hair.

Have you had braids before? Some people's hair just does not take well to braids. I know this because I am one of those people. If you did everything right, and your hair still lost length, just know next time that no matter how low maintenance and cute they are, they just aren't for you. I'm sure if you baby your hair for a few weeks, it'll get back to its prior condition.

I'm sorry this had to happen, but I feel your pain, I;ve lost length with braids, too.

What kind of braids did you have, Micro? How long did you keep them in? Do you think its a case of shringage since you haven't had a relaxer yet?

Reminder: Never get braids again (per your request)

I want to ask the same question, what kind of braids did you have, and how tight were they? I have never had micro braid but I know if they are done incorrectly you will lose a lot of hair. I think cornrows are a lot better but only if they are not too tight.

I've had braids before....and I get shedding. I always say the same thing...I'm never getting them again...but this time I mean it. Last time I went through this, I think it was Adrienne who told me that the amount of shedding wasn't that bad, but I had cornrows this time, and only had them in for a month as opposed to the individuals that I had last time for a little over 2 months. I think I still lost the same amount of hair though!!!

Tebby

I had about 25 cornrows. They were tight the first day or so. Strangely enough, my hairline is perfectly in tact, so they weren't too tight there. I don't know where this hair is coming from. When I took my braids out my hair looked and felt moist and shiny....I loved it. I thought there was no way I would be loosing much hair, but I was wrong.

Tebby

I don't want to make light of your trauma, but I thank you for posting this. My dumbazz knowing I've had problems before started flipping scenarios in my head like "Well, maybe if I get them bigger" or "Maybe if I take them out sooner." You just reminded me to leave them braids alone!

I get my relaxed hair braided usually when I want to extend the touch up time. I keep them in usally 2-3 months - When I take them out - I often feel like you - even after doing this for so many years I am still sometimes fooled by - the shrinkage of the new growth - If you relax your hair - after treating your hair and waiting the appropriate time to touch up - when you do get the touch up you will see the growth and how great your hair will look.

Tebby....I know you know this....so I'll just remind you.
wink.gif

It's scary taking braids out for a lot of us because all o that shedding we see when they come out represents WEEKS of shedding that would have otherwise been happening on a daily basis, little by little, over time, so it wasn't so noticable. You would have still lost that hair you're losing (Becuase it's natural to do so) but you wouldn't have NOTICED it is all.
smile.gif
I'm sure you're hair is gonna be fine. But we'll remind you next time. Sounds like you just don't like this part of the braiding experience.
smile.gif

I just want to cry...how could I loose as much in one month with bigger cornrows as I did with 2 months with much smaller individuals?

Tebby

Maybe it just seems like "more" because your hair is longer than it was the last time you had braids? It was a while ago that you have individuals - yes?

Longer hair looks like more hair when it sheds, I know that for sure. {{{{{{{{{Tebby}}}}}}}}}}}}

Your hair is gonna be fine girl I promise! I am almost positive it's not shorter. And the shedding will slow. You'll see.

I got my hair braided on March last time...I don't think it's that much longer now than then. I don't know what to do....I'm just so upset.

Tebby

Hugz to you Tebby I would be P.O'd too. I do tend to agree with what Tracy said though. Your hair has been in braids, therefore it hasn't been combed. All of this shed hair is probably normal.

Take care.

I am soooo sorry girlie. I wore braids for 6 months from January to June this year and got a lot of new growth but the ends were raggedy and I had to cut a lot for my hair to look good. I also didn't comb it out properly before washing so I had to cut out two stubborn knots!!! So I totally feel your pain.

To stop the shedding try Nutrine garlic shampoo and conditioner -- follow with an intense moisturizing conditioner.

I joined the LHCF in May and armed with all this knowledge I will give braids another try coz my hair grew so much last time.

Do your protein, reconstructing, deep conditioning and general babying of your hair, then get a good trim and move on -- NO MORE BRAIDS!

Any bss should have it. They have both scented and unscented -- I got the unscented and it worked real fast. Like after the first wash the shedding decreased by about 70%

So sorry to hear your dilema Tebby! I tend to agree with Tracy. NOw you know I am a regular braid wearer and taking the braids out is the worst part of the process.

1. There is accumulated hairs that haven't been shed and you see all of that shedding when you take out the braid. It usually looks like way more than what it is.

2.While in braids our hair is not given the same treatment so when they are finally taken out we have to do plenty of deep conditioning and moisturizing to get our hair back to it's orginal "health".

3. The mega shrinkage from all of the newgrowth. I am sure once you relax your hair it will be longer.

Don't fret. Your hair will be just fine!

I might have to go to the bss and pick that up. How well do you think that would work with an Aphogee treatment?

Tebby

I usually do 2-3 deep conditionings the week I take out my braids. I will use Lekair which is great for restoring hair. A mild protein (usually Nexxus Keraphix). And Keracare Humecto. It takes a about a week of deep conditioning to get my hair back to normal. I usually relax around the second week. You can really see the results then.

Which LeKair do you use? I have the green kind and it makes my hair super tangled. It workes well on my daughter's hair though....

Tebby

[ QUOTE ]
Zgirl said:
Sorry to hear that, the other day I helped my cousin take out her braids and the same thing happened, it took me hours detangling her hair and like you she lost so much hair. It scared me to see so much hair. I dont think I personally will ever get braids.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had that experience once with my daughter, and I agree; I definitely would never get braids either.
nono.gif
Especially with my color treated hair (it's MUCH more fragile) -- a definite no-no!!

Sorry that this happened to you and good luck to you... a friend of mine went through this recently and she ended up trimming about 2 inches from her brastrap length hair!
crazy.gif

Well, I have worn braids off and on for years. I try to remember that all the shedding is normal. If you keep in mind that normal hair shedding on a daily basis is anywhere from 50 to 70 strands and multiply that by the number of days you had your hair braided then you will see that alot of shedding is bound to take place. Just because we braid our hair will not stop nature from doing what it's suppose to do. I would be more concerend with breakage. Did you get a lot of breakage?

I would't do Aphoghee just yet Tebby. Especially not with Garlic shampoo. It's would far too drying IMO.

Back