Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America

so1913

Has anyone else read this book by Ayana D. Byrd and Lori L. Tharps?

I think this is a good read for anyone who truly has a love for hair as it goes through our history from the time we landed in the country in slavery, to the evolution of booming black hair care industry and products...decades of styles and hair fads...even where the tradition of wearing scarves to sleep or not untying our hair until it's time to go out came from, and of course the history of us straightening our hair.

I LOVED reading this book. It's an objective book, yes, even when it talks about the history of straightening hair (we cannot change history and why we started doing it) Anyone with an open mind and who love hair. The Jerri Curl era was pretty amuzing :)

WARNING: There are some parts of the book that may anger you while reading, I know I got quite heated myself, but it's much better to know and understand the root of certain things in our history and culture than to ignore them, not only with hair of course, but us as Black people in the United States.

Anyone else ready it?

I've heard and read about people discussing this book but I haven't read it yet. It sounds fascinating.

I've read it and it's one of the main reasons I decided to go natural. Reading about the history of relaxers and the reasonings behind it really opened my eyes.

It's a great read. :)

Yeah this looks really interesting. I just have not been able to locate this book around where I live but when I see it I will be purchasing it.

I got this book of EBAY for about three or four dollars its a good read, I have not finished it yet but I been reading it when I get a chance. Its one of the reasons I decided to go natural. I'll be honest I am terrified of being natural but I have to embrace it because you know God doesn't make mistakes and there is a particular reason for our hair being the way that it is.

Trudy said:
I got this book of EBAY for about three or four dollars its a good read, I have not finished it yet but I been reading it when I get a chance. Its one of the reasons I decided to go natural. I'll be honest I am terrified of being natural but I have to embrace it because you know God doesn't make mistakes and there is a particular reason for our hair being the way that it is.

....say it again :clap:

Can i get a AMEN!!! When i first went natural i was kinda scared too---but i'm here to tell you, after i did it, i thought to myself, why didn't i do this a long time ago??---enjoy your journey.:)

This book is a *Must Read* for any Hair Lover :love:!! It is by far one of the best books I've ever read about hair... The book also has a really great bibliography where you can find additional great hair reads. I too was inspired to transition to natural... :)

True... the ladies that have responded so far are natural, but this book is actually a great unbiased read for everyone :)

It offers an excellent look into the History of our hair: psycologicaly, socialy, and politically. Think about it, Our hair is a Big Deal. For years we have obsessed about it and others have admired it.

This book truly celebrates our hair and it's beautiful ability to adapt to any and all the ways in which we've choosen to style it over the years: relaxed, afros, jerry curls, texurized, high tops, fades, braids, dreads... you name it. Additionaly, the book tells the history of our hair styles, various hair proudcts, and all the major companies that cater to black hair care.

It is at times hilarious and informative. I believe that all the ladies who said this book inspired them to transition to or remain natural decided to do so not because the book is biased but rather because the book gave them an appreciation for natural hair :) Although you never indicated that the book may be biased, I wanted to dispell any idea that that was the case...

I am going to buy this from Amazon...

Speaking of jheri curls, I was in love with the "Classy Curl"...

Remember the pretty, brown-skinned model they had on the white box? I think her name was Ola something.

Anyway, she was so pretty and I wanted a "curl", but I was poor... and my mother wouldn't let me get one... that's the real reason! LOL!

nubian_rose said:
True... the ladies that have responded so far are natural, but this book is actually a great unbiased read for everyone :)

It offers an excellent look into the History of our hair: psycologicaly, socialy, and politically. Think about it, Our hair is a Big Deal. For years we have obsessed about it and others have admired it.

This book truly celebrates our hair and it's beautiful ability to adapt to any and all the ways in which we've choosen to style it over the years: relaxed, afros, jerry curls, texurized, high tops, fades, braids, dreads... you name it. Additionaly, the book tells the history of our hair styles, various hair proudcts, and all the major companies that cater to black hair care.

It is at times hilarious and informative. I believe that all the ladies who said this book inspired them to transition to or remain natural decided to do so not because the book is biased but rather because the book gave them an appreciation for natural hair :) Although you never indicated that the book may be biased, I wanted to dispell any idea that that was the case...

Perfectly said. I totally agree, which is why I wondered if any one other than naturals have read it and what they thought of the book and had a similar appreciation for it. It gives a great objective overview of our history our hair through all its stages.

so1913 said:
Perfectly said. I totally agree, which is why I wondered if any one other than naturals have read it and what they thought of the book and had a similar appreciation for it. It gives a great objective overview of our history our hair through all its stages.

SO1913, you know what? ....My silly self :drunk: didn't even realize that You started the post and already said that it was objective... I'm sorry :notworthy

Thank you for starting this post to inform others about the book :yep:

nubian_rose said:
SO1913, you know what? ....My silly self :drunk: didn't even realize that You started the post and already said that it was objective... I'm sorry :notworthy

Thank you for starting this post to inform others about the book :yep:

Girl please, your comment was a perfect elaboration. I just think that since all of us are so into and serious about black hair care that it would a great thing, as with anything else, to become knowledgeable about the history of it.

Ohyeah, I forgot to mention that your hair is the Bomb!!! ...And good lookin-out on your props to Mint Condition in your siggy, I Love them!

Edit: Opps, I think we just posted at the same time, I should have edited my last post by adding this comment to it... I'll stop stalking you now :sekret:

Last edited:
nubian_rose said:
Ohyeah, I forgot to mention that your hair is the Bomb!!! ...And good lookin-out on your props to Mint Condition in your siggy, I Love them!

Edit: Opps, I think we just posted at the same time, I should have edited my last post by adding this comment to it... I'll stop stalking you now :sekret:
Hahahah! You're good. And yes MC is my favorite band!!! Gotta appreciate what real music you can get these days:)

I think this would be a great book club book:) What do you guys think?

I've read the book (have a copy, don't know where it went). Yeah I liked it, it is a real eye opener. It made me understand why we are so "attached" to our hair, it's a part of our history. :yep:

I read some of the reviews on Amazon.com regarding this book. One that stood out was by a white girl in which she wrote:

I'm not black, but I am a hair junkie--wanted to go to beauty school but was forced by my parents to attend college (WRONG CHOICE!). So I probably knew more than the average marshmallow about black hair, but this book was really enlightening! By the time it got to the text of the "My hair, your man" ad--which left me completely perplexed and clueless up to now--I felt like that ad was a personal slap in the face. It took me that long to realize what a personal issue hair is for black women. Don't get me wrong, most white women hate their hair too, but it's not such a hot-button topic.

But just if anyone's curious, having white hair does not equate to having good hair. We need industrial-strength shampoo to get out the natural and very nasty grease our scalps pump out like OPEC nations, then conditioner because we f**k our hair up with dyes, perms, dryers, curling irons, etc., then about five tons of gel, mousse, styling glue, hairspray, and spritzes because it won't hold a set more than three minutes without them. And water, humidity, and wind are The Enemy for us too. In fact, if I had the right kind of hair, I'd love to just lock it and forget it. But mine's so slippery it won't even stay in a ponytail.

It would be so nice if hair could be not a separator but a unifier for women everywhere. Maybe in about five centuries...

[font=&quot]After reading that it only reaffirms why I want to go natural --- the hair we possess is so versatile and we oftentimes take it for granted. The problems that they have with styling their hair and the time it takes is no different then what we go through, the only difference is our texture. I’ve given up with worrying about my hair. It’s just that --- hair! [/font]

I finally got this book last night, and started reading it today. I can't put it down! Anyone else read it lately?

i read it and enjoyed. It enlightened me on some things that i was previously not knowledgeable of. Great book- i got mine from Barnes and Nobles - with a gift card that i got for Christmas.

I have this book, I have not finished it yet. Unfortunately, I'm a book-hog and I got sidetracked by another book.....

Back